[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>never owned a laptop before, always been a PC gaymer mus
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
File: 1456811385010.webm (1 MB, 406x720) Image search: [Google]
1456811385010.webm
1 MB, 406x720
>never owned a laptop before, always been a PC gaymer mustard race kind of guy
>realized that I don't even care about videogames that much anymore
>would like to convert to using a laptop instead and sell off my PC and change hobbies
>still don't want a too cheap laptop that would just irritate me
I guess my budget is at around $750 AT MOST, and I'm currently looking at
http://cdon.se/hemelektronik/toshiba-satellite-p50d-c-10f-15-6-p36463029
>inb4 SWEDEN YES please
5990SEK is roughly $720 converted. So how is this one? Should I go for it or should I look for/wait for something else?

What I might use it for includes
>light videogaming, mostly OLD games and even older emulators, if ever again
>photoshop/paint tool sai/rarely video editing/etc
>internetting
>watching movies and series
>>
>>53738501
TL;DR on the specs
>Quad core AMD A-series A10-8700P / 1.8GHz, with boost to 3.2GHz
>8GB RAM with an open slot for another 8 if you want
>256GB SSD
>15.6'' IPS, 1920x1080 full hd, 16:9
>GPU AMD Radeon R6
>built in HD webcam
>sound stuff doesn't concern me much, I already own an external soundcard
>expected slots for USB, LAN, HDMI, SDHC, etc
>weighs 2.3kg
>3 year warranty
>>
Any suggestions or anything?
>>
>>53738785
Add another 8GB of memory once you get it and go away.
>>
File: 2016-03-20 18.49.56.png (113 KB, 866x509) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-20 18.49.56.png
113 KB, 866x509
>>
>>53738835
Well, I mean, I've been looking around at other things for a couple of days now and only found this specific one on accident. Thing is, it seems to be too good of a deal to be real with that discount and all.

>>53738871
This isn't asking for tech support, this is asking for opinions. I didn't see any other relevant thread up so I made my own. ThinkPads seem like a meme.
>>
File: IMG_4386.png (2 MB, 933x1400) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4386.png
2 MB, 933x1400
Tja man, har själv aldrig testat toshiba men jag kan verkligen rekomendera microsoft surface pro 4, metall konstruktion, superskärm och windows 10. enda problemet är batteritiden på 4-5h max med wifi på och hur man inte får välja själv vilka komponenter man får, utan måste välja á la fågel fisk eller mittimellan.

Annars tycker jag att du ska köpa en mac mini när apple uppdaterar den produktlinjen och en bra skärm, sen kan du köpa en snabb SSD och skaffa hur mycket ram du vill till den.

Kram och glad påsk
>>
>>53738913
Its a decent laptop that will last several years for the price. Though Toshiba exited the PC business so warranty claims could be a problem if it breaks in the future.
>>
>>53738931
Tack för förslaget! Ska ta och titta på båda med en gång.
>>
File: 1adfh5CBB50F4.jpg (64 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1adfh5CBB50F4.jpg
64 KB, 500x375
>>53738501
>>
>>53738961
Yeah I'm really just trying to make sure that it really is. I have a pretty poor income and this would be the only thing I'd afford outside of rent and food for the next few months, but I'm pretty convinced that I want to go for it - and even better when I get my PC sold off (else I might just give it away to a relative).
I had no idea that Toshiba had quit though. However, I'm usually super careful with my things and have never needed to ACTUALLY use a warranty before.
>>
>>53739023
As long as you don't open and close the lid and keep it well ventilated, that laptop will last you a very long time.

Assuming you're careful with your electronics and don't drop shit.
>>
File: 1457463104695.png (23 KB, 406x849) Image search: [Google]
1457463104695.png
23 KB, 406x849
>>53739058
>that laptop will last you a very long time
I feel the same. I just might go for it then, unless I somehow find a better option, but it's this specific -40% discount that even made me look at this in the first place. I'm just hoping that I can decide before the sale ends.
>>
>>53739105
See if you can find one with the 8800P, those extra shaders could come handy. Though this is already a good deal.
>>
>>53738501
i would avoid toshiba.

i've had one since 2010 and it is a piece of overheating shit. i have opened twice to reapply thermal paste and it is a clusterfuck to do it.
>>
Buy an Apple MacBook Pro. Windows is for poorfags and LOONIX is for autists. Go with Apple today for high a quality computing experience.

Apple - the neurotypicals' choice.
>>
>>53739116
I think this specific one is the only version of it on sale at this time, but I'll look around.

>>53739129
Oh snap. Could it be that it's just your 2010 laptop that does it though? I remember having some ASUS laptop borrowed from work around 2012 and it did the same - I expect it from any laptop really.
>>
>>53739178
It does not matter what laptop you get, most of them will overheat when stressed hard. Reapplying thermal paste will probably be necessary to get best thermal results.
>>
>>53739279
Yeah thought as much. Thanks again though.
>>
Thought I'd hijack this thread since Im more or less in a similar position as op. I travel a lot, and usually bring my ps4 with me (previously ps3), but Ive mostly been playing pc games lately so a laptop that can handle newer games on like medium-high settings would be ideal.

Are there any brands I should stay away from? I was thinking of just going with something on sale with a dedicated GPU, good screen and decent hinges. I'll be bringing a keyboard/mouse with me so the keyboard and trackpack are mostly irrelevant. But ya can I really go wrong with that? Is there really that much of a difference from brand to brand? I dont really give a fuck and have no brand loyalty whatsoever
>>
Get an iPad
>>
>>53739456

Sure get a gaming laptop. Just don't expect it to last very long. I had two, after some month either the mobo or the graphics card will fail due to overheating.
>>
>>53740598
>will fail due to overheating
Lol wut :D???
>>
>>53740530
I hate iOS and I'm sick and tired of touchscreen keyboards.
>>
>Doesn't own an extremely high performance PC purely for the sake of it

Being poor must be fucking terrible
>>
>>53741088
Yeah, it sucks.
>>
>>53739456
If you don't mind it being big, get a Dell precision m6600 pre owned with a 1080p screen and upgrade the gpu to a quadro k4000m, or k5000m if you can afford it (675mx rehash with lower clocks and same with 680m, but way cheaper than consumer card)
Overclock the gpu as much as you like, mine still has a Fermi housewife at basically twice the stock clocks and it runs cooler and quieter than most newer garden laptops.

This is because dell precisions are solid business workstations instead of mediocre consumer shit.

If you want to buy new, I've had good experiences with clevo and sager, although buying one from 2013+ pre owned is also a good idea.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.