[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
IT Benefits
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 185
Thread images: 16
File: memeville usa.png (9 KB, 501x319) Image search: [Google]
memeville usa.png
9 KB, 501x319
Why do so many tech jobs offer meme benefits? Four beers on tap? Crossfit gym membership? I'm surprised they don't offer beard transplants and free use of the company fixie. At least it isn't as bad as the company that advertised "free popcorn" as one of the top benefits. I've noticed that employers that have these "perks" tend to be poorly managed and end up with lots of death march projects.

What's the oddest perk you've seen offered?
>>
Onsite laundry.
>>
>What's the oddest perk you've seen offered?

"Free Wheat Grass Juice!" - Google
>>
>>53738072
I would literally kill someone(s) to have this perk
>>
File: 800px-WheatGrassJuicing.jpg (94 KB, 800x549) Image search: [Google]
800px-WheatGrassJuicing.jpg
94 KB, 800x549
>>53738122
>Hey, do you want your mouth to taste like a lawn?
>We're the company for you!

Are weird benefits a red flag?
>>
File: blood-stains-clothes.jpg (64 KB, 300x390) Image search: [Google]
blood-stains-clothes.jpg
64 KB, 300x390
>>53738165
Hopefully they're good at removing blood from clothes.
>>
wasn't there some place in ancient greece that gave all the smart people free food and housing and shit? seems to be an extension of that idea.

they'd probably provide free whores if it were legal.
>>
>>53738165
Why? It's fucking retarded. I would rather do my laundry in my home instead of dragging it to the office to save a few bucks.
>>
>apply for a job

>perk is you get a fucking job you ungrateful fuck

I have this mentality so the unlimited overtime, weekend differential, free lunch everyday, paid phone bill, paid mileage and reimbursement for vehicle maintenance sounds better than it really is
>>
>>53738265

jobs like the one in OP don't pay overtime. It's strictly a salary position. That's why the offer so much free shit... it makes working 60 hour weeks seem tolerable (even though you are not making a dime more than if you only worked 40 hours).
>>
>>53738265
Honestly, yes.

Offering "perks" seems to be compensation for something.
>youll be treated like shit, but you get these perks!
>youll have to work overtime and weekends, but you ge these perks!
>youll have to do the shit other people dont want to do, but you get these perks!
>>
File: sea-horse-motel.jpg (565 KB, 1996x1121) Image search: [Google]
sea-horse-motel.jpg
565 KB, 1996x1121
>>53738342
And to keep you from stinking. When they start piling up overtime, there's not much time leftover to do chores at home. I had a job where suddenly they announced we were now a nationwide consulting company and started sending us all over the place. I'd fly out each Sunday night and get back home on Friday night. So I'd have Saturday and part of Sunday to keep my personal life together and prepare for the next workweek. In that situation free laundry would have been nice but I quit instead. Fuck spending my life in Grapevine, Texas and Wetumpka, Alabama.
>>
>>53738058
I would kill for a job like that. Work time could never be so comfy.
>>
The only perk i'd care about "everyone is not a fucking moron"
>>
>>53738202
>>53738213

On-site laundry is a warning sign.

It literally means you'll be working so much that you'll have clothes at the office.
>>
File: il_570xN.337600613.jpg (61 KB, 570x523) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.337600613.jpg
61 KB, 570x523
>>53738446

good for you anon. I remember when my company told me they wanted me to start traveling often: "now anon, we're not going to pay you any extra, but if you eat the dollar menu you can pocket some of your per diem money, so it's like getting a raise"

yes... literally that. i quit and am neet now.
>>
File: office pet.jpg (37 KB, 480x321) Image search: [Google]
office pet.jpg
37 KB, 480x321
>>53738489
Wonder why they didn't specify what type of animal is the office pet?
>>
File: 1457414523599.jpg (16 KB, 365x346) Image search: [Google]
1457414523599.jpg
16 KB, 365x346
>>53738058
>no 401k
>no blue cross blue shield
>>
>>53738510
Hopefully a bunch of qt ferrets to out stink all the poo in loos.
>>
>>53738392
xoogler here, most people worked for like 35 hours a week desu. Maybe crunch time people were expected to work more but it was really more of the "get your shit done and we don't care". Many teammates would just randomly choose to work from home.
>>
My benefits include
Health insurance that doesn't suck
401k with employer matching up to 10%
Paid to sleep up to 8 hours
1 hour break
1 hour lunch
Paid overtime

I'm glad Im not a cubicle slave.
>>
>>53738058

some offer at a startup included dinner cooked by a chef, sure yeah what a good way of getting me working overtime for free...
>>
>>53738618

>posting on /g/ in the middle of a workday
>>
File: BC_MainTitle_Night.jpg (44 KB, 750x464) Image search: [Google]
BC_MainTitle_Night.jpg
44 KB, 750x464
>>53738662
Not to mention a "chef" could be just about anyone. Doubt your average startup is paying big bucks for a high quality chef.
>>
>>53738210
>tfw INTP
>>
>>53738517
Yeah, that alone is a red flag for a company. But the people that tend to be employed at these places are young, childless and not really thinking about that stuff right now. They go work at real companies after gaining some experience and reality hitting them like a truck.

>>53738058
"dog friendly office"

As comfy as these west-coast type tech offices sound, some of it is a bit much and employees always grow out of it when they realize they'd rather have all that extra shit in their paycheck.
>>
I don't work for a company run by 22-year-old college dropouts, so my benefits are a bit more mature.
>>
>>53738618
>20k a year salary
>>
>>53738058
>Why do so many tech jobs offer meme benefits
Because they appeal to the sorts of memefaggots that go into 'tech', and they're significantly cheaper than real benefits.
>>
>>53738905
Oh wow I've been looking for a burger place that serves snakes
>>
>>53738058

Microsoft
> Free soda / juice / milk
> Unlocked med cabinet (bandaids, cold meds, asprin, etc)
> Some fridges have better juices / tea & sweet tea
> Can purchase (very very cheaply) retired hardware (12 - 18 month replacement cycle)
> Cafe's are some of the best restaurants in town, but food is exceedingly cheap ($3 in café, $8 somewhere else)
> FTE's literally walk off with recycled hardware
> Free MSDN / Office 365 / Azure subscriptions
> FTE discounts in store ($19 for Windows, applies to all Microsoft software)
>>
>>53739133
50k, and then whatever I accrue in overtime.

>>53738702
From my personal device on my personal connection
>>
U.S. Army

>Free food
>Free housing
>16 college units plus CBE testing
>Free CompTIA and Cisco vouchers
>Free equipment that you can easily steal

You just have to be willing to kill brown people.
>>
>>53738662
idk about your country but where I am its a law that if you work over 12 hours they have to provide a meal (it may actually just be part of my union agreement, dunno if its a law or not)

But why the fuck would someone want beers on tap or a nap room over actual health benefits like dental or whatever? Or does that fall under "great benefits" (my guess is "great benefits" is something terrible like $500 medical coverage or half off a massage every month or something)
>>
File: dontgetup.jpg (136 KB, 766x510) Image search: [Google]
dontgetup.jpg
136 KB, 766x510
>>53739577
do you actually get to kill brown people? or is it just another way obama cucks the military?
>>
>>53738058
A lot of companies offer this guy of stuff.

I worked for an investment bank in NY and we had an onsite barista, open kitchen fully packed, including fridge + gym membership + beer on Fridays. This plus the standard medical + matching 401k.
>>
>>53738058
>Why do so many tech jobs offer meme benefits?
because people at google work insane amounts of hours. Sure, they'll rub your balls and put a slurpee machine outside of your office but you're still working 14 hour days and your jew money is useless when you have no time to live your life.
>>
My job offers free food via a cafeteria and an onsite gym membership. The meme-iest thing is probably the heavily discounted offers to stores like J-crew, Brooks brothers, and nordstroms.
>>
>>53738210
>infj
Fug
>>
>>53738210
>10k starting wage below where that meem picture places me
fug
>>
>>53739299
>But you have to use Windows 10

No thanks. I'll need way more benefits than that to let you know what I masturbate to.
>>
My workplace has meme perks (yoga, etc.) but they don't advertise them because they're looking to attract people serious about good code, not people serious about good perks.
>>
>>53738210
What if my personality type is NEET, what kind of salary can I expect?
>>
>>53738058
those pass as "benefits" in startups? no thanks, I'll just take my various free/subsidized insurance and transport, paid personal/sick/holiday, union representation, and a menu of healthcare options

by "great benefits" in OP's pic do they just mean "subsidized healthcare"?
>>
>>53740181
I get a completely free health plan, 9k 401k match and 3 weeks PTO and 12 vacation days.
>>
>>53738058
>IE6 development NOT required!

should also be under perks 2bh
>>
>>53740220
that's pretty cool, i only get free dental and vision. no retirement matching, unfortunately. there are other perks too.

the union is basically 10 functions rolled into one and can't be overstated. besides an extra 3% raise just because (thanks, union) there's significant job security measures and ongoing benefits from having a constituency that's legally outside the workplace
>>
>>53739048
Am I the only one who believes that pets belong at home and not at the workplace?
>>
>>53740359
Of course they don't belong in a workplace, but if the idiots I work for decide to let me bring it with me I'm not going to argue with them.
>>
For hipsters.
>>
>>53740333
>thanks union

You won't be thanking them when your employer can't afford to keep anymore employees due to the high wages they have to pay.

Unions are a blight to hard workers everywhere. I fucking wish mine would die in a fire.
>>
Programmers should take example on french railroad workers sometime and stop being cucks.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (83 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
83 KB, 1280x720
>>53738058
because it's really nerdy and hip and RANDOM hahahaha

aren't we so quirky and cool

we are the YOUNG
>>
>>53740459
advanced capitalism is spiralling upwards because the go-to solution is "make more money." if your boss can't keep up then you're phucked anyway
>>
>>53740507
what anime is that?
>>
>>53740622
sword art online
>>
>Medical Insurance
>Health Reimbursement Arrangement
>Dental Insurance
>Vision Insurance
>Flexible Spending Account
>Short-Term Disability (Company Paid)
>Long-Term Disability (Company Paid)
>Life/AD&D Insurance (Company Paid)
>Prescription Safety Eyewear
>Safety Shoes
>Employee Assistance Program
>10 Paid Holidays
>Paid Time Off (4 weeks)
>401(k)
>Educational Reimbursement
>Family Medical Leave
>Paternity Leave
>Tool Allowance

Starting position at 65K. Technically, I'm still an apprentice, but I'm comfy. I also get a company credit card, company phone (iPhone 6S Plus), Panasonic i7 Toughbook, and reimbursement for travel time with my personal car or total compensation when I have to rent a vehicle. When I fly to a job site (3 weeks out of the month) I get paid from the moment I leave my house, to the second I get into my hotel room.
>>
>>53740459
>Abloo abloo abloo
if the company cant be competitive its probably because the republican governor gutted the education system the second thing got tough
>>
>>53740649
are you one of those diamond class hookers i hear so much about?
>>
>>53738058
It's all part of manipulating people into thinking they're not exploited proletariat but one hip family doing great stuff while having great fun, so when your hip and friendly boss that insists you just call him Jeff asks you to stay after hours, you're more likely to say "sure". This fucking industry is so youth-oriented because only young faggots fall for this shit. No grown up man gives a fuck about pets and XBoxes in the office; he wants a decent salary in exchange for decent work, and at 5 o'clock he expects to get the fuck back to the actual life he has.
>>
>>53738058
I can believe one of the benefits is "great benefits"
>>
>>53740909
Yeah, like taking care of his wife's 4 sons.
>>
>>53740684
naw he's probably just a plumber or electrician or something (my money is on electrician). That's all pretty standard shit for tradesmen that have to travel for their job (currently in a similar situation, basically living out of hotel rooms in random middle of buttfuck nowhere towns). Although generally only for journeymen or higher tradespeople, but I could definitely see it if the company is hurting for guys, and I've definitely seen "apprentices" get put in situations where they have to do shit apprentices shouldn't really be doing (without supervision), so its definitely believable.

but ya, unionized trades gigs are the fucking shit man, you're basically treated like gold, and even if you quit and go to another company thats under the same union, they have to pay you the same wage or higher. At least that's how it is where I am in Canada.
>>
Oh man everyone is so angry. Not all of these tech companies require crazy long hours to get these convenient perks.

At 3 of my "meme-company" internships/fulltime, I definitely had these perks and never was I asked or compelled to do more than 40hr/week. Maybe you guys just aren't productive?
>>
the startup I work at has fixie kegs, meaning modded fixies that pull around key fridges through the office

some other random perks:
- free massages
- painting classes
- LEGO room
- instagram photobooths
- copies of kinfolk everywhere
- CRT tvs with NES ("retro station")
- Macbook-only workplace

I work 40 hr weeks

we meme now
>>
>>53738210
>tfw INFJ
>tfw making $43,000 a year

F-fuck you chart! I am $5,000 above average!
>>
>>53738058

>oddest perks
- good salary and off early and punctual

I like htem.
>>
>>53741233
What an odd company.
>>
>>53738210
No ISTP listed wtf
>>
File: not so happy ending.jpg (36 KB, 512x332) Image search: [Google]
not so happy ending.jpg
36 KB, 512x332
>>53741132
About those massages... do they come with a happy ending? Because that'd actually be a pretty good perk and would keep employees at the office all the time.
>>
>>53740072
1 - I don't care what you masturbate to.
2 - Most of my office machines run Server 2012 R2, except when they run 8.1.

But if you seriously thing you have any right to privacy when using corp devices inside a corp network, you're out of your fucking head.
>>
>>53741132
>- Macbook-only workplace
>photobooths
i am fucking triggered

- free massages
- painting classes
- LEGO room
i want this in rackroom
>>
>>53739659
It appeals to dumb young hipsters that just graduated college.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (37 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
37 KB, 480x360
> give useless shit with perceived value to employees
> employees learn how to shill garbage with perceived value as """ products """ and make the company money
>>
>>53741570

Step 1: Overpromise
Step 2: Underdeliver

People might bitch, but 99.999% are too lazy to do anything more than that.
>>
>>53738058

It's because they treat developers like children instead of the adults that they are.

And some developers are basically children so they lap that shit up. You know, the same ones who are probably gay or autistic because they could never adjust to the real world.
>>
>>53741032
>Not all of these tech companies require crazy long hours to get these convenient perks.
yours may not have, but plenty of them do. In any case the goal is most certainly to encourage you to spend more time working, even if they don't make it mandatory.
>>
>>53741132
>Macbook-only workplace

Sounds like a company that makes shit mobile apps.
>>
>>53738058
I don't understand... Why would I want a crossfit gym membership? Can't I get like... a free anime DVD a month or something? Who the hell wants to work out?

Or you could just give me a chair that doubles as a bed. I need to never have to leave my computer ever again...
>>
>>53742088
Or they could just add the $20 or whatever it costs to your paycheck.
>>
>>53742118
Yeah, true. That's always an option. Then I can get the same chair on sale on Amazon and just bring it in
>>
File: crossfit.jpg (39 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
crossfit.jpg
39 KB, 480x360
>>53742118
Crossfitters tend to be obsessive so the financial model for their gyms are different than a traditional one in that you can't count on 90% of your members stop showing up after a month of their two year contract. But if they sell memberships in bulk to an HR department of a company with employees who are unlikely to get into crossfit, that's bonus cash. They probably charge the company 50% of the cost or less per head.
>>
>>53740684
>>53741024

Service technician for bottle manufacturing machines. Close though.
>>
Oddest perk is that you don't use PTO if you work greater than 1 second.

Meaning, I went on vacation for 2 weeks last year. I probably spent 15 minutes to half an hour a day answering emails total, like anyone normally would.

I used 0 PTO hours for vacation. I've taken a lot of days off and never used any hours. I'm almost to the company cap of 350 hours of PTO and 350 hours of sick.

I'm thinking of just taking Thursday and Friday off every day for the next two years. I make average money (70k, Tech Director) and would like something that pays more, but it's so cushy and with such good benefits that I don't really want to leave.

I guess that's how they get you. If I cashed out my PTO and sick (only can do this by leaving) I'd earn about $20k after taxes. Sort of tempting.
>>
>>53738210
>INTJ
>Earning 70k
>26 y/o

Not bad, considering.
>>
>>53742225
Hmmm... but what's the point for the company? In IT, I can't really imagine more than a couple people actually considering that to be a benefit. To most, they'd just gloss it over. It's not like they're offering monthly movie tickets or something.
It may be cheap, but comparatively speaking, there's no net gain for the company, because that talent is no more likely to apply than if that entire benefit was scrapped and not even replaced with anything else.

It makes no sense. Benefit to like... 10 people, costing 50% of like 200 people. It's a massive loss in money for no reason.
Especially because the chance those 10 people wouldn't apply doesn't even come close to probable. Might as well offer free mountain dew or Nos... or pizza on Fridays... that would actually slightly increase the chance of better talent coming in. Not a gym membership...

In general, it also doesn't promote a feeling of urgency to USE said membership (indirectly influencing health), because the employees themselves did NOT pay for it. It'd be like someone with 20/15 vision. There's no way in hell they need the eye plan added in. Having it doesn't convince them to go get more glasses. They don't need it. And they're not even paying for it; it's just there.
If a fatso PAYS for the membership themselves, then yeah... MAYBE they'll go. But not if the company does it for them.

Overall, I see a rate of benefit for offering gym memberships to be well below a 1% threshold. They are not even 1% more likely to get better employees, and the opportunity cost actually DECREASES their chance of getting the no-life neckbeards they actually could use.
>>
>>53739577
Fuck off, welfare queen
>>
>>53742406
>>53742427

In addition to this:

- Pension, requires 7% contribution. Retire at 55, retain 55% pay for life, retire at 65 and retain 100% pay for remainder of life
- Full medical, full dental, full vision insurance
- Legal insurance
- 2 weeks paid holidays (I'm salary though with the aforementioned routine)
- 15% off my Verizon plan
- 12 month refresh cycle on all tech but phones
- $30/mo unlimited vehicle charing option if you
have an electric vehicle
- My hours are 8:30AM to 4PM

My coworkers are alcoholics so drinking is frequent and encouraged. I don't really drink but I imagine that'd be huge if I did.
>>
>>53742524
yeah you're just showing off now. bye
>>
>>53738210
Where's ESFP, ESTP, ISFP, and ISTP?
>>
>>53742444
It's likely there because some out of touch higher-up manager decided that's what 'millenials' like and with a bulk membership discount, only costs the company some hundreds to the low thousands per month, cheaper than providing a real benefit (like health insurance) that could cost them tens of thousands per month.
>>
>>53742524
>actually believing that you will ever get any of those ridiculous pensions
>>
>>53738058
I dont see 401k matching in the perks ...
>>
>>53742720
That's kind of smart though, to replace health insurance with a gym membership. Adopting healthy habits is the best way to not need to spend money on health costs.
>>
they only offer so much so you'll have little reason to actually leave and thus be more productive.

it's not ever about the employee.
>>
>>53739577
Get a fucking job and stop living on welfare faggot
>>
>>53742444
Employee wellness programs. That's why.
>>
>>53738058
because if they didnt all the nerds would fucking SNAP AND KILL EVERYONE
>>
File: Cross-Fit-540x280.jpg (93 KB, 540x280) Image search: [Google]
Cross-Fit-540x280.jpg
93 KB, 540x280
>>53742785
It'd make sense for a normal gym but Crossfit has a really high injury rate.
>>
Because it entices people to want to work for you while being cheaper than just offering them more money each.
>>
>>53742754
Its a government job, I will.
>>
>>53743552
So you seriously think that you are going to stick around for 30+ years with the same company?
>>
>>53742856
>employee wellness programs
>that no one would actually care to use
They done goofed, m8
>>
>>53738058
You need to choose between being a free animal with no comfort or a Milky Cow with all the comfort.
>>
>>53742524
Federal or municipal? Elaborate, please.

Intern for the City of LA here, and my prospects aren't too far off from yours, but our Mayor is gonna make some changes to hiring versus what our previous Mayor did, and it'll have taken place before I finish my MA and can apply for full time.
>>
>>53743576

Yes, I could see myself sticking with the company called the United States government for my working life.
>>
>>53742594
there were insufficient sample sizes of those types.
>>
The job posting:

>UI Developer - Permanent Position - Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
>Do you want to work for an amazing, innovative company with a laid back culture? If you enjoy never-ending snacks, beer taps on rotation, having nerf wars during the day, taking power naps at work and playing with the office dog all while doing amazing stuff in new UI development, then you should apply to this position immediately!
>*********** is seeking a junior to mid-level UI Developer to join a great company located in the Buckhead area of Atlanta, GA. In this role you will be responsible for implementing and testing both core and non-core software applications as part of the product engineering team.

>Responsibilities:
>•Implement and test software web applications using technologies that include, but are not limited to, HTML5, JavaScript, CSS3, jQuery, AngularJS & BackboneJS. Maintaining the software after the releaseDrive the culture forward in a positive manner by having fun and treating everyone here as a member of their own family•Willing to train on AngularJS and BackboneJS if your only experience with these tools is on side projects and not professional experience

>•Will assist team members in requirements and design discussions and decisions
>•Must keep technical knowledge up to date and actively work to apply this knowledge to improve our solutions
>•IE6 development NOT required!

Bet they don't pay over $35k
>>
>>53738058
That seems pretty ridiculous. All I want is good pay, a 401k, and health & dental.

I can buy my own beer thanks.
>>
>>53743576
>being so millenial you don't even realize that people are supposed to work at the same job for their entire adult life
>>
>>53744564
>people are supposed to work at the same job for their entire adult life

I don't know where you came up with this absurd bullshit rule but I can tell you it's wrong. You aren't SUPPOSED to do anything. If you have a decent job and are willing to stay with it until you retire fine. If not then it's totally fine to periodically job hop.

Maybe your job started out good but management changed at some point and things went downhill. Maybe you have a good job but got an even better offer. Maybe you just took your first job to get your feet in the door and get experience but the job is shit and you want to get out at the first chance, ...etc.

This isn't the 50s Gramps. Times have changed, how businesses are run has changed. Everyone is cutting and trying to do more with less. The days of businesses caring about the welfare of their employees are over. They just want people who can do the job as cheaply as possible and never complain. People who get tired of the nonsense have the right to and absolutely should get a new job and not stick with a shitty company because of an irrational fear of some kind of ridiculous stigma.
>>
>>53744650
>The days of businesses caring about the welfare of their employees are over.

Spoken like a non-government worker.
>>
>>53744691
It's a pretty fucking sad state of affairs when the Government is the only employer to give a shit about its workers.
>>
>>53744755

I completely agree. It's sad that boring, slow moving jobs are the most reliable and care about their employees the most. I guess that's what happens when taxpayers foot the bill and shareholders don't need to be pleased.
>>
>>53742524
>>53743552

What do you even do? What's your job title?
>>
>>53744650
Nice cherry-picking friend. It's just the way you worded your post, as if working at a company for 30+ years is completely unheard of. And I'm not saying you'll work at your very first company for the rest of your life, but at some point you have to get serious about your security and retirement which won't help if you keep hopping jobs. This is one of the biggest reasons millenials get such a bad rep and are completely shunned in many fields.
>>
>>53744799

Director of Technology.
>>
>>53744807
>but at some point you have to get serious about your security and retirement which won't help if you keep hopping jobs

There's no guarantee of security and retirement even if you stay with a company for a long time though. I have a relative who worked at a hospital for over 40 years. Times have changed though and the hospital is not doing well financially, they were a non-profit that was recently acquired by a for-profit company that is looking to seriously downsize the staff and trim fat off the budget. A lot of people have been laid off already and she might be on the chopping block, only a few years away from retirement and she could lose the job she has worked at for 40+ years. She would be in a better position if she had gotten out and gotten a new job even just a few years ago. She's in her late 50s and clerical skills aren't in high demand she might be screwed.

There is no such thing as security. You can get fucked at any time even right before you are projected to retire, in fact the longer you stick it out the more likely you are to get fucked just before retirement because you cost the company more money than someone fresh off the street. Dumbasses like you place all their eggs in one basket and then get made when the basket gets stolen right out from under your nose and you are ashamed because you were too blind to see it coming.
>>
>>53744807
>retirement
It's called 401ks and IRAs, not depending on the government to baby you. Do you seriously think you are going to see a single cent of what you put into social security? Delusional.
>>
What's wrong with health and fitness? Fucking neckbeard.
>>
>>53744905
I think your auntie just had bad luck anon. No need to abandon the entire concept of security.

>>53744964
>It's called 401ks and IRAs

What makes you think that's not what I'm referring to?
>>
>>53738505
What's wrong with you.

I travel, get a £75/day food allowance deposited into my account.

I just prep all my meals at home and take them in cool bags and refrigerate when i arrive.

It literally increased my salary by 20%. And I'm only 25 so I can handle it.
>>
Remember that perks are only there to keep you more excited about frivolous things than thinking about how your boss takes 75% of the income you generate for the company while you settle for handouts.
>>
>>53738072
red flag IMO. it means that you're going to need it as your hours will demand you to sleep in your cubicle
>>
>>53745248
>100k salaries are handouts
>>
>>53745163
Literally every modern company offers a 401k, and IRAs have nothing to do with employment. Relying on social security and pensions is one good to way ensure you will be absolutely fucked over.
>>
>>53745308
good luck doing much with that when you pay like 40% of your income in Cali taxes and your rent is high in the Bay
>>
>>53745308
They are, when your boss takes way more than double of what you make for less intellectually demanding work than you.
>>
>>53745324
I work in Seattle faggot.
>>
>>53745326
>boo hoo because I'M WORTH IT
>>
>>53745338
Are you suggesting that you're not worth it?

Seems completely unnecessary to get into a cognitively extremely demanding job only to put yourself into an inferiority complex for your boss who is doing less demanding work.
>>
>>53745331
What the fuck is a Seattle?
>>
>>53742594
NEET
>>
>>53745373
>let me quit my six figure job and work at mcdonald's because my boss will pocket less of my work
>>
>>53745373
Yeah, Chad jobs get the most money for the least work. C'est la vie.
>>
>>53745395
Right, where your boss taking 95% off of your back.

I know your meme'ing me but have a little self respect.
>>
>>53745426
You're only worth what other people are willing to pay you. This idea of "I make X profit for the company" is retarded thinking.
>>
>Yes goy, you don't need a car, our company shuttles will take you to and from your home
>Oh, sorry goy, the shuttles only run every 12 hours, but hey you can stay at the office and make more money for u- I mean innovate and think more
>>
>>53740359
My cousin did some shit for Petco corporate for a while, they did an any pet friendly office.
For them it at least makes sense, but when he worked at a medical college heading up their IT department it would have made no sense.
>>
>>53745448
Which, in turn if you settle for less, makes you worth less.

Which is exactly the point - are you willing to sell your work which potentially generates billions of revenue for 100k a year?
>>
>>53745484
Sure, if no one else is willing to pay me more.
>>
>>53745491
Would you sign up as a company founder for a tech firm with two other guys at a 10%/45%/45% equity split? I know I wouldn't.
>>
>>53745511
No. Most startups fail, and a startup environment is awful.
>>
>>53745511
It would depend on my contribution

If what I have done was minor compared to the other two, then yeah sure, otherwise I would fight for my rightful share and prevent them from doing anything through legal methods

As an employee, I have no such ability. They can just hire someone else
>>
>>53742594
Those are just meme types.
>>
>>53745326
Go out and do your own business, anon.
Getting paid isn't a whole lot like entrepreneurship
>>
>being able to get a decent job
>2016
You'll be LUCKY to get a job at some shitty fast food joint for the rest of your life.

Modern society has fucked everything.
>>
>>53745532
>>53745516

All I'm trying to say is that sure, if you're willing to stay at 100k a year for the rest of your days, then by all means. If you don't step up and demand yourself and others to place value on your work then your time is most likely worthless and the time you spent on getting into demanding IT work is also worth nothing.

Just keep in mind that your time has value. Have a nice day, anons
>>
>>53745634
>IT
>demanding

HAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHA

IT is lifestyles of the reasonably well paid slackers. It's great.
>>
>>53745580
woo! I already have a fast food job and four years experience! One more year and I'll have enough experience to have ANY fast food job. Amazing.

Now if only I could find a good way to segue to electrical engineering...
>>
>>53745166
is that really just for food? who eats that much food?
>>
>>53738122
Wheat grass is good as fuck for you. I'd love to drink my share if I worked there
>>
>>53745634
Payoffs usually go into three big categories.
Risk, capital, and then labor.
Go chase your dream, anon.
It's true that most startups will fail miserably.
But refuse bearing risk just means that you're a bolt that can be replace anytime they want.
>>
>>53744888
At what sort of company/institution?
>>
>>53744888
What are your credentials? Are you like super smart or just got a good job?
>>
>>53739577
faggot. marines are better killers.
>>
>>53738058
Any photos of the Office Pet?
Blond, brunette or red-head?
>>
>>53738210
I'm ESTJ, but:

>If they neglect their Feeling side, they may have a problem with fulfilling other's needs for intimacy, and may unknowingly hurt people's feelings by applying logic and reason to situations which demand more emotional sensitivity.

this gets me fucked in social situation so often.
>>
>>53738058
>office pet
Does that mean I'm going to be a cock sheath?
>>
>>53738058
>IE6 development not required

RED
FLAG
WEB DEVELOPMENT JOB
>>
>>53743583
Sometimes they miss the mark. It happens. Just explaining things from a compensation management stand point.
>>
>>53748562
lmao, I do that all the time
>>
>>53738210
t-this is just a lie, right?

;__;
>>
>>53738058
So they don't even offer healthcare?
>>
>>53738210
> they'd probably provide free whores if it were legal.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind to give lonely people somewhere to live in.
And I don't even need them to whore themselves out.
Just doing some housework is enough for me.
>>
>>53738072
That's usually a bad sign that means your hours are gonna be long and ridiculous
>>
>>53745166
What job do you have?
>>
>>53738210
>INTP
Man, I'm fucked.
>>
>get salary job
>end up working 60-80 hours a week
>life is terrible
>guy who makes slightly less than me hourly can practically double my income with overtime when he's told to stay and work on things

What a bad decision it was to take this job
>>
>>53741410
Ok but my company deserves privacy from the prying eyes of Microsoft dumb faggot.

I'm not going to install a 24 hour surveilance bot for my entire corporation.
>>
>>53738265
I'm a GenX ungrateful fuck, so I have no problems finding a job.

I'm happy to take a $10k/year pay cut to get an extra week of vacation and to not have to wear a monkey suit.
>>
>IE6 development not required
Where can I apply?
>>
>>53741406
>filename
Kek
>>
>>53738210
This is completely false.
>>
companies that talk about 'unlimited vacation time' are the ones to be worried about. the caveat with this is you get to take your vacation when it is deemed you have finished everything you need to do. and this could very well mean you never get to use it because there is always some bullshit assigned to you.

i just started with a new company and right off the bat i get 3 weeks paid vacation a year, and whatever i dont use gets rolled over so i can in theory get 90 days of paid vacation total. now obviously the odds of being able to use all of that at once is zero, but getting 3 weeks starting is really nice
>>
File: 1239623526325.jpg (17 KB, 400x449) Image search: [Google]
1239623526325.jpg
17 KB, 400x449
>Be young healthy male with no children
>Every 'benefit' is money that could've been in my paycheck instead of literally nothing
>>
>>53750689
half the things on OP's list imply that
>>
>>53753560

>implying you know what makes you happy better than the corporate overlords

>chooses to browse 4chan with free time
>>
>>53745901
You can easily spend that much if you eat dinner at a nice restaurant in a big city. Lots of people will eat cheap so they can pocket part of their per diem. But if you're in a city you're not familiar with and staying in the central business district, you might not have too much choice.
>>
>>53753443
The "personality type" meme is false in itself
>>
>>53738058
nap room is actually nice, I'd love sleeping on the job when I'm tired
>>
>>53741024
How's the amount of work wherever you are? Ontario is really hurting right now, looking to get a travel card possibly. Lots of guys here haven't worked for over a year because non-union has taken all the jobs because the union wages are so stupidly high.
>>
>>53742594
I'm ESTP
:(
>>
>>53741380
>>53738210
yeah same, wtf
>>
>>53753507
>obviously the odds of being able to use all of that at once is zero
I'm a eurofag in the US and this makes me cry.

At my current US job I got 3 weeks and a hard time using it all at once.

At my last European job I got 5 weeks and the entire country basically shut down in July so everyone could take 3-4 weeks off.
Thread replies: 185
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.