[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What sort of problems did you have to solve at your first programming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5
File: 1454894454267.png (55 KB, 571x553) Image search: [Google]
1454894454267.png
55 KB, 571x553
What sort of problems did you have to solve at your first programming course? Also post where you study and what do you study.

I study computer engeeniering in Bolivia, and they assign us ACM ICPC like problems to solve for the exams, but I think that is the reason why less than 10% of the students pass the course.
>>
File: image.jpg (118 KB, 1334x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
118 KB, 1334x750
>>53736281
George Mason University, class is meme-tier here. The projects that we are told to delegate days to take a hour or two at most and the labs can be done in minutes. The homework and participation are worth ~5% so you don't even really have to show up or do the online textbook. Its my only class Monday so I act like it's an extension of Sunday.
>>
>>53736281
I had to write a scheme interpreter.
>>
>>53736281
For our first programming course, the hardest thing we had to do was print a pyramid of numbers to the console
>>
>>53736585
That's cool, was it done with assembler or C? Also, where do you study?
>>
>>53736918

same here, actually we had to show a Christmas tree, but it's pretty much the same
>>
>>53736281
Hardest project we had to do in our first programming course was create battleship and create an ai to play against. A pretty good way to learn 2d arrays in C.
>>
An invaders game
>>
Basic OOP stuff, 2d arrays, loops, collections/arrays. Was in Java. Good course.
>>
>>53736281
>What sort of problems did you have to solve at your first programming course? Also post where you study and what do you study.

It was a basic introduction to C/C++ (procedural programming only).

Hardest assignment we had was to read images (grayscale bmp), compress them by finding clusters of the same color and be able to re-render the compressed images we made. It was a good exercise on memory allocation (we couldn't use vectors or any containers, we could only use arrays).
>>
It was 4 weeks, full-time, by the end of week 2 we had written a solar system/Lennard-Jones liquid in C and by week 4 the more interesting/accessible parts of a quantum chemistry code.
>>
First programming course, we had to implement a time/calendar system. I ended up doing a epoch approach. Probably the hardest thing I had to do in that class.

My second programming course, we were programming for the GBA. Shit was cash, but fuck Mode 4.
>>
First programming course we had to make a system to manage construction materials, like in a shop. Without GUI of course.

The best project I ever got in class: We had to make two teams play football. We received the gui/game part ready, with only a playable player and a ball. We had to deliver the project with two teams playing against each other.
It was in 2D, using box2d engine and the players kicked the ball just by colliding with it.
C++

Named my teams as Team Edward and Team Jacob. The teacher never didn't get the joke and I just seemed gay. lol
>>
My final assignment in highschool was to create a program that does anything, as long as it incorporates conditions, loops, objects, inheritance, sorting and searching, and file i/o

Currently working on the edX cs50 course while i work and save up money for collegr and just threw together a program that reads raw SD card data and gets all the JPEG images from it

Got accepted to Sheridan college for software development and network engineering starting in September
>>
>>53738763
>My final assignment in highschool was to create a program that does anything, as long as it incorporates conditions, loops, objects, inheritance, sorting and searching, and file i/o
>in highschool

I asked for a programming class in HS. Instead they put me in a career orientation class.

I now work as a software developer.

I think the programming class might have been more useful.
>>
>>53736918
how would that look in c++

anyone?
>>
>>53741260
Pajeet, pls
>>
File: 1456129557469-0.gif (2 MB, 540x603) Image search: [Google]
1456129557469-0.gif
2 MB, 540x603
>>53736281
Took AP Computer Sceince and shit was more intense than my major required intro class at the University. While the stuff we did in high school was pretty easy (recursion, stacks and queues, abstract methods), we didn't even get close to any of that in the university. The last thing we learned before the final was either arrays or 2D arrays.

It was disheartening because I heard that the other intro class actually not only got to do stacks, queues, pointers and a bunch of other stuff in C (that would have been extremely helpful for my next Discrete Math/Data Structures class), they also got to learn how to use Matlab or Fortran.
>>
>>53741503
I wish my intro class taught us Matlab. Some of the tech electives used it but I accidentally chose all the ones that didn't
>>
First course was in functional programming using haskell.

Made a really slow sudoko-solver lol.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.