[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39
File: 1457647610359.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1457647610359.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
This thread was created to prevent anons from spamming new threads, for technology questions they have.
If you are that person, post your simple/small/stupid questions here

Don't bump. This is a slow board, and will continue to be. Wait for an answer or google it.

If you see other anons posting questions outside this thread, ignore or redirect them here
Use >>>/g/sqt as a link to find the sqt thread
>>
File: 1456495852992.png (157 KB, 496x423) Image search: [Google]
1456495852992.png
157 KB, 496x423
What are good sites that archive /h/ and /b/ other than fgts? Or is that the only one
>>
>>53734583
Check 4chanX archiver settings or foolz github.

Nobody wants to archive /b/.
Too expensive and needs lots of care to deal with CP and illegal stuff.
Also its too fast.
>>
>>53734662
fgts has over 200,000 pages of threads
>>
Looking for a new phone, any tips?
>>
>>53734675
I know, they are the only ones that do it recently.

Foolz trief and stopped, same for archive.moe.
>>
>>53734679
used G3
>>
>>53734679
Want a phone?
Moto G2 for $99.
Want a camera?
Any flagship.
>>
If i take my hard drive out, plug them into a big sata to usb connector and plug them into my router, will i be able to get and store data from them if im connected to the network?
>>
>>53734779
Potentially yes
>>
i downloaded anime, it plays audio but video is just green in vlc. info says its codec is 12-bit, x265. i think my hardware is the problem, in that case should i find a different torrent? (what codec should i download it in)
how do i watch my chinktoons?
>i3-2350m
>6gb ram
>windows 7 64-bit
>>
I installed windows 10 Pro and activated it with kmspico, but now I just got a legit copy of win10 Education and i was wondering: Can I upgrade from my Pro version without having to do a reinstall? If not, can I do the reinstall without losing my programs and settings?
>>
>>53734861
That's happen sometimes.
Have you tried to disable hardware acceleration on VLC settings?
>>
I installed windows 10 Pro and activated it with Kmspico, but now I just got a legit copy of win10 Education.
Is there a way to upgrade without having to do a reinstall? If not, can I reinstall windows without losing my programs and settings?
>>
I'm thinking about buying a smartwatch, but i don't have very much free space.
Do smartwatch faces also take up space on my phone or only on the watch itself? What about other apps that can not be used on my phone, but only on my watch?
I'm using Android.
>>
>>53734964
>>53734863

The other comment didn't get posted before so i made a new one, but it decided to post now. Well,whatever.
>>
Is it possible an inferior quality 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable produces an inferior sound?
I just bought a new one, sounds like shit. I was under the impression they were all the same
>>
>>53734933
its off, the correct path is
>tools>preferences>video codecs>ffmpeg right? still green. i cycled through, on, automatic, and off
>>
This seems as good a place to ask as any.
I need a program that doubles as both an image-editing program and a text-editing program. For example, say I'm drawing something on one layer, I can then add notes in a format that can be later edited on another layer.

Neither of these functions have to be particularly robust (think MSPaint + Notepad for how simple I am willing to settle for), I just need the ability to have both in one place.
>>
>>53735007
kmspico does nasty stuff to the system and there's always the chance you got silent malware with it, so reinstalling is reccommended.
>>
File: 13-182-964-Z01.jpg (52 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
13-182-964-Z01.jpg
52 KB, 640x480
Whats a good mini itx server case? Not looking for something huge, just 6-8 drives for home use.

Planning on puting freenas on it and doing raid z2

Also what are some solid supermicro board cpu combos with ecc memory support. I was looking at this one but I don't really want to spend $989. Something sorta midrange would be nice, unless that xeon cpu will drastically decrease the rebuild times.
>>
>>53735046
i use paint.net for my image editing woes, but that goes as far as making an image background transparent. you could also check out pinta
>>
Sup /g/
Someone's offering me a PC with the following components. Nothing was overclocked, and everything ran stable.
CPU - intel i5-3470
MoBo -MSI B85-G43 Gaming
GPU - msi gtx 750ti twin frozr
RAM - 8gb ddr3 1600

Comes with a PSU and a basic case. All for some USD 275.00. Is this a good deal?
>>
>>53734679
>any tips
maybe a price range, provider, OS preference??????
>>
>>53735146
> less than $300

Make sure there is nothing wrong with it first
>>
>>53735028
well now you know better.

Yes, it's quite possible. Shitty cable and port materials = shitty sound quality
>>
>>53734567
Did the bird survive
>>
>>53735166
Yep, it used to be a mate's old rig, so its working. He just had an upgrade so he's getting rid of his old toys
>>
>>53735151
>>53734709
>>53734731

not apple, rest is up for grabs, i dont care about price range
>>
What does it mean when a qt mentions her "boyfriend" in casual conversation? Does she want the D or not?
>>
>>53735201
deliver dick and see what happens.
>>
>>53734987
Don't. It's a useless meme device. You'll regret it within a month.
>>
File: 1367439980239.jpg (477 KB, 1305x1265) Image search: [Google]
1367439980239.jpg
477 KB, 1305x1265
PLEASE HELP i have a program than uses 7za for file compression and it's password protected but here's the thing i didn't know that there is no password needed when adding archives, how do i make it to ask for password when adding archives to the .7z?

I just want it to ask for password when adding files to it
>>
>>53735201
it means you're in the friendzone and at most her emotional tampon
>>
>>53735179
Go for it. Maybe transfer the guts to a better case if you don't like the one he gives you.

750ti is decent and will play most games at 1080p at 60fps/30fps on newer titles

It's up to you if you want to upgrade. If you decide to I would go with a sapphire r9 380 4gibblebits. It drops to 160USD sometimes and is definitely worth it at that price
>>
>>53735201
It means she's not interested. That's a subtle "I'm taken".
>>
>>53735273

So what you're saying is I need to surprise sex her to make it clear i'm not her "fren".
>>
I'm not getting any notifications on my phone. As in I don't get something in my notification tray, no sound, no vibration, when I receive a new email, snapchat, etc. so I miss emails and don't actually see them until hours or sometimes days later when I manually open the app and check. The only notification I get is if its a text message. All my apps are up to date, running latest software version. Phone is an LG G4 on verizon.
>>
I want to encrypt my phone's SD card but it takes forever to do it on my phone for a 64gb card that's full. Can i do it via pc and just shove it on my phone?
>>
i have a png image, a few things on a white background, and want the background to actually be transparent
what's an easy way to do this in mspaint/GIMP?
>>
>>53735046
maybe Geogebra. It's used to make math diagrams but I have used it to import images to write text over & it looks good because you can write it in LaTeX if you want. Or maybe use GIMP??? What exactly are you trying to achieve like what's it for?

>>53735192
maybe a galaxy S7 or another high-end recent android device. They are all going to be pretty good up to you to decide what design you like the best

>>53735201
doesn't really mean anything desu
>>
>>53735360

>Select white background & delete
>Add new layer that's transparent
>Make transparent layer the background and your PNG image at the top of it
>>
>>53735360
http://www.geekyprojects.com/graphics/how-to-make-a-transparent-image-using-the-gimp/
>>
>>53735323
factory reset friendo. You know you gotta do it
>>
If i have a cisco switch, how do i actually transfer files between the 2 pcs? Consider the situation that i only have the switch, not the router, so the 2 pcs can't access the internet
>>
>>53735502
Note that one pc is winxp and the other one is win7

Do i statically assign both of those ip addresses, try to ping each other, (assume that works) and what next, how to actually transfer files?
>>
>>53735502
the switch does nothing, it just spreads the signal. You need a device that manages a local network, a subnet, local ip's.. this magical device is known as a router.
>>
Is it too late to jump on the bitcoin train? I'm short on dosh and this thing I want to buy has the option for bitcoins, how do I achieve quick coinz for this if I'm not too late?
>>
>>53735558
far too late.

also >>>/biz/
>>
>>53735545
>the switch does nothing, it just spreads the signal

switch allows sending bits from one mac address to another and vice versa. Enough for file transfer
>>
I was given a computer that was "broke" by my grandmother. The hard drives are no good and the mobo is a little buggy, but everything else seems functional. It's not a pre-built, I guess her son "made" it for her, as she put it.

I'd like to build a PC for modest gaming, hoping to throw some decent money on the CPU and mobo (~$200) and use the mediocre parts until I can get the funds to upgrade. I have the case, fans, monitor, keyboard, etc. already.

Will this work, assuming everything is compatible? I've never tinkered with hardware, only used pre-builts most of my life (usually laptops). I just need it for light-gaming on medium/low settings, plus some video-editing.
>>
>>53735558
Go 88 mph, go back a few years and mine. Apart from that it's a done game. You need ASICs today. Big initial investment and fairly small profit. Back in the day you could just use your GPU and make a bit on the side, but today you'll be spending way more for the power to run it than you'd make. And if you're enjoying free electricity you can make like 5 cents a month using a GPU.

You'll literally make more from looking for coins on the sidewalk.
>>
>>53735681
Why wouldn't it work?

Just pay close attention to what your mobo supports, PCIe speeds, sata etc. Also look at how many Watts your power supply has, you don't wan to buy some heavy gpu and see that supply is not strong enough
>>
>>53735502
>>53735539

Any help from network admins?
>>
>>53735727
>Why wouldn't it work?

I guess I'm posting more for assurance, making sure I'm not forgetting anything, like what you posted just now. Hadn't thought about the PCIe speeds, honestly. PSU should be adequate, it's surprisingly strong.
>>
>>53735742
Just dl the exact mobo manual and start slowly reading
>>
>>53735297
My plan as of the moment is to get a new 240gb SSD and a Windows license.

Then get a GPU. Thanks man
>>
>>53735772

Fair enough. Which would you say is worth investing more in over the long run, CPU or mobo? Again, I'm a software guy, not super keen on building just yet.
>>
>>53735502
Is it a managed switch or no? If it's managed, you need to configure it to allow the machines to communicate.

Also, if you only want to transfer files between two PCs, forget the switch and just plug a regular ethernet cable from one directly to the other. You used to need crossover cables for this, but today you can use either kind of cable for either direct or switch connections and the NICs will adapt.

But yeah, assign each an IP on the same subnet. Disable Windows Firewall or learn how to allow ICMP (for pings) and whatever else you want through it. You might find that enabling Windows Internet Connection Sharin on one end or the other will make it easier since that'll make the one PC assign the other an IP over DHCP -- even if there's no actual internet to share.

>>53735539
I would normally suggest sharing a folder by right clicking, sharing tab, advanced sharing, etc. But:
>one pc is winxp and the other one is win7
That means you're in for an adventure. I have honestly had better luck getting both to connect to a Samba share on a Linux box than directly to each other.

You'd probably get what you want more easily by installing Bitvise SSH Server (free edition) on one PC and accessing it from the other using WinSCP.
>>
>>53735826
> windows license

> paying for wangblows

Download windows 8.1 from microsoft, edit the ei.cfg, then use mstoolkit to activate
>>
I'm using xubuntu and I installed the royal-gtk-theme and weirdly its window buttons don't show up in the window manager settings. I can select it in the appearance tab though. What's wrong?
>>
I have a USB stick that's borked.

It mounts and opens fine, but within about 30 seconds it unmounts and remounts itself. Just long enough that I can't copy anything large. In Windows it makes the annoying "DA DUNG" sounds every few seconds.

Linux it appears and disappears.

Can I get everything off it? Is it just a lose connection somewhere I could solder?
>>
>>53735934
It's probably a loose connection you can solder to fix.

But if you want to read it out first in case you bork it more, disable automounting in Linux and use ddrescue. Include a name for a log file when you run it. It will image the drive sector by sector and make a log of which ones are already read. When it disappears, reconnect it and run the same command again. It'll resume where it left off and copy another 30 seconds worth of sectors. When you're finally done, loopmount this image file or use 7-zip to extract the files from it.
>>
>>53735901
>what is kmspico
>>
are there any sfx power supplies that aren't twice as expensive as atx power supplies for the same power rating?
>>
>>53736060

Yes lad I love you.

Gonna give this a shot.
>>
>>53736079
Mstoolkit is better
>>
I'm getting a Rift soon and need a new graphics card, currently using a AMD 7950.

Do I go big on a 980TI or try to hold out for Pascal?
>>
>>53736110
Not him, but better how? What exactly is the difference between Mstoolkit/AutoKMS is kmspico?
>>
>>53734567
Well then, after looking for an answer everywhere else, I might just ask here.

I'm looking to buy a CPU cooler, has anyone got any experience with SilentiumPC branded CPU coolers? They're about the same price as a much smaller noctua, but I'm currently running on stock and open to suggestions.
>>
>>53734567
>people tailgating
you're not important and you'll still be late for work faggots
>>
>>53736146
the logo
>>
>>53735170
he's fine
>>
>>53734567
What should I learn before installing Linux, and what is the easiest Linux operating system for a newbie.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (47 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
47 KB, 1280x720
downloaded some shady "scene" videogame related programs and no I can't open web pages on chrome

I get this error: ERR_PROXY_CONNECTION_FAILED

what do I do?
>>
I want to use linux but there are a lot of windows programs like photoshop and gayming that I can't give up on, what do?
>>
Can I install a CPU cooler without installing a backplate? Specifically the SCYTHE Tatsumi SCTTM-1000A?

Thanks, gee.
>>
>>53736183
this. they got what they deserved, fucking idiots
>>
>>53736252
Learn by doing, but do it in a VM so you can mouse out of the VM to google questions and so you don't fuck your Windows by accident. Get VirtualBox or VMware Player. Ubuntu is the most noob friendly, Xubuntu or Kubuntu if you don't like the Unity GUI.

>>53736256
MalwareBytes

>>53736296
Dual boot or run your Linux in a VM. Or use Linux and boot Windows in a VM if your CPU has VT-d so you can passthrough your GPU for gaming.
>>
>>53736324
P.S.: I have my mobo horizontally, so it doesn't hang on the side of the case but lies.
>>
My Windows 7 got the Black Screen of Death this morning. Starting it in Safe Mode just once seemed to have fixed the screen issue on all my startups, but now all my startups have the properties of Safemode, including not being able to access any networks, not being able to change the themes from the System Default, and other issues. What do?
>>
>>53736167
can't you just get a hyper evo 212 like everyone else? anyway, you can't really go wrong with coolers these days, just make sure the mounting system is not shit.
>>
File: 1353687548008.jpg (590 KB, 930x2487) Image search: [Google]
1353687548008.jpg
590 KB, 930x2487
I want to put my music on my phone but ive got no expandable storage and it won't fit.

What format should I convert my songs to if I want to reduce the filesize while keeping it as close to 320k mp3 quality?
>>
>>53736357
Tried system restore? Sfc /scannow? That dism repair thing?
>>
>>53736373
well that's double the price. I could get a decently sized noctua for that price (probably country differences). Also, is it possible to mount without a backplate on the stock clips for AMD? I've got a case that puts my mobo horizontally...
>>
>>53735323
This sounds like do not disturb mode.
Are you sure an issue with notifications in settings? Like you or someone turned them off?
>>
>>53736387
>I want to put my music on my phone but ive got no expandable storage and it won't fit.
This, folks, is why phones with no MicroSD slot are crap. Now that you've fallen for the "with this much internal storage, who could possibly need external?" meme, why not fall for the "put it all in the cloud and stream it" meme? Or fall for the Sansa Clip+ meme like I did, stick in a 128-200 GB MicroSD and have a really tiny player with ridiculously high capacity.

>What format should I convert my songs to if I want to reduce the filesize while keeping it as close to 320k mp3 quality?
VBR ogg does a pretty good job of sounding good at lower bitrates than MP3. If you're wedded to MP3, LAME does a pretty darn good job on --preset extreme, though the result is still bigger than an ogg with equivalent sound quality.
>>
>>53736330
>Dual boot
I want to use linux mainly for security and freedom. If I ever get infected on windows will it affect the linux part of my pc?
>>
>>53736481
got a acer laptop. how to reinstall windows. wanna get rid of manufacture bloatware
>>
>>53736481
Opus > Vorbis > diseased diarrhea > MP3
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-28-15-05-12.png (208 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-28-15-05-12.png
208 KB, 1440x2560
>>53736425
I've checked that but it's off. I've looked through all of the notifications setting but couldn't find anything that would cause the problem. I'd really prefer to not have to factory reset like >>53735452 said.
>>
>>53736387
if you're on windows, download sambadroid on your phone and copy the files via wifi. i do that and it's super comfy.

i'd go with 128kbps aac or opus for max quality to file size ratio.
>>
>>53736415
no idea, but i wouldn't risk mounting a cpu cooler with no regards to the manufacturer's instructions unless i had a real good reason.
>>
>>53736523
unless you go out of your way to make your linux data visible to windows (something which is not trivial) i don't see how it could.
>>
>>53736389
>Start>System Restore
>Click the Control Panel button
>Give it a moment
>A minute
>Two
>Microsoft Windows has stopped responding
Spooky.
>>
Is it ok to ask about PC issues in this thread? I know /g/ has that one rule about tech support, but I have a problem that has been bothering me for quite a while and we are in /sqt/ anyway, so why not?
>>
>>53736621
But wouldn't the virus affect my whole hard drive? The same hard drive with linux on it.
>>
>>53736727
not unless it encrypts or wipes the drive. and even then i don't think it would touch a different partition, which you would need for linux anyway.

if you have 50 dollaroos to spare get a 2nd drive for linux and enjoy your peace of mind.
>>
>>53736523
Generally no, since Windows can't read ext4. Of course a virus on the Windows side *could* corrupt other partitions like your Linux one, but they generally don't do this. Viruses want to either encrypt your files to hold them for ransom, co-opt your computer to do botnet things, or scan for personal info to harvest -- none of which they can do to an ext4 partition.

>>53736526
What Windows version? Generally you obtain Windows install media either by downloading from MS using a media creation tool, or torrent an iso and then md5sum it and google the sum to see if it matches a known clean MSDN source.

Then you burn it to a DVD or create a bootable USB stick either using the official MS tool or Rufus. Or for UEFI systems, just extract all files from the iso into a formatted USB stick. Boot from that, delete existing partitions you don't care about (leaving any BIOS diagnostic partition optionally). Tell Windows to install to the blank space and it will add partitions in the layout it prefers. When it's done installing, run Windows Update and select any drivers it finds. Get any remaining missing drivers from the Acer website.

Also Acer kinda sux, poor build quality etc.

>>53736659
Sounds fucked. Might be time to reinstall.

>>53736689
AFAIK it is, I see a lot of stuff get resolved here. The rule is to prevent the board from filling with "durr fix my pc" threads.
>>
I want to sell my computer.

EVGA X99 FTW mobo
Intel i7 5820k
Corsmeme 4x4gb DDR4 2666mhz
EVGA GTX 980 SC
Corsair RM850 PSU
Mushkin 480GB SSD
CM Glacer 240L AIO watercooler.

Case harddrives etc. Cost over 2200 when I got it last year in June. Super well managed. Still worth over 1700 easily. Trying to sell it for 1200-1300.

Why won't anybody buy this shit? All I want is textbook money and thinkpad money. How do I sell this? EBay is a massive risk I won't even take.
>>
>>53736763
>if you have 50 dollaroos to spare get a 2nd drive for linux and enjoy your peace of mind.
If you've got a virus that screws the whole hard disk, not just files inside partitions Windows can read, there's nothing stopping it from screwing your second hard disk as well. Actually if anything it might have an easier time since Windows doesn't see it as a system drive and lend it a bit of extra protection.
>>
>>53736786
windows 10 home i am on right now. do u hafta change anything in bios.
>>
>>53736763
>not unless it encrypts
Don't most ransomwares do this shit? I'll just buy a second hard drive and install linux on it. Thanks.
>>53736786
Thanks.
>>
File: general-mech-pic.jpg (40 KB, 600x360) Image search: [Google]
general-mech-pic.jpg
40 KB, 600x360
I wanna buy my first mechanical keyboard, I've narrowed my choices between Red and Brown switches, gaming-wise I only play FPSs, any advice is much appreciated
>>
>>53736786
>AFAIK it is, I see a lot of stuff get resolved here. The rule is to prevent the board from filling with "durr fix my pc" threads.

Ok, so here's my problem:
I used to have no problems running games during two first years of using my PC(budget PC bought around 2007-2008) but after that more and more games(even old ones, like from the 90s old) have started to turn my PC off. What's the cause of that? PSU? I have cleaned my PC inside so I don't think it's because of overheating. PC turns off even when a game runs smoothly. I have checked many tech support websites and most of them (around 80%)say it's a PSU issue.
>>
>>53736892
Oh, and one more thing I forgot to mention: when the PC shuts off then fans still keep on turning, the signal to the monitor cuts off and I have to reset my PC.
>>
>>53736892
>>53736910
if everyone says it's a PSU, why don't you try replacing it and seeing for yourself? see if a friend can lend you a spare of try to buy from a seller with a good return policy
>>
What are some good silent case fans? Mine only came with one and I thought of getting a pair more.
>>
>>53736888
Brown is godtire
>>
>>53736948
I will try to find a new PSU then. By the way, do you suspect it might be something other than the PSU?
>>
>>53734567
What should I look for when buying LED light bulbs? I've heard claims of lower quality ones flickering and causing headaches but can't find any sources on that.
>>
Only DVI-D and DisplayPort can actually support my 1440p/144hz monitor fully, right? It came with an HDMI cable but I figured they just throw one in every box since the other model is 1080p/60hz.
>>
>>53737201
if it's shutting down hard, with no BSODs or graphic glitches, everything suggests a PSU issue. these things lose their efficiency over the years, so if you push it hard during games it might not be able to provide enough juice for your system anymore. i'd try getting a higher wattage or better quality one.
>>
>>53736892
Definitely PSU. If even shitty 90s games are beating your shit in it's your system going above what the PSU can provide. Very clear-cut case here.

http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

Calculate your shit here and add 10% for aged parts.
>>
>>53734863
kmspico? You're telling me I can activate my shit copy of win10?
>>
>>53736546
Do a soft reset, Mayen that will help. If you had a smart watch, I hear sometimes it tries to send notifications to the watch even if it's gone.

You may need to restore it, I can't help you all that much since I don't use android myself. There might be an android general you could check in. Hope it goes well anon.
>>
>>53736787
Mayb craigslist? I think the graphics card would go pretty fast if you sold it separately. Try other websites, maybe even unorthodox ones like reddit (they probably have subreddits or whatever for this shit)
>>
>>53737354
But my question is how would I sell it to somebody long distance? Selling it in pieces is hard. I could ship it out to somebody as a whole. Or I could ship in pieces. How do I get payed reliably? Somebody could easily say it came broken or never arrived and they could basically steal my PC. It happens all the time. Most people in my area don't need a PC like this. Fuck I just want to sell it I never should have bought it.
>>
What do you do about wrist pain while typing?
>>
Has Youtube not been loading videos for anyone else? No matter what browser I use, no matter what add-ons I'm using, I will have to refresh a page 15 to 20 times before a video will load. Any other website works perfectly fine and fast.
>>
How can I throttle my flatmate's internet on a shitty Sky router with no QoS? The router is in my room. If there was some sort of hardware that I could attach to their ethernet cable (like an ethernet extension that is really slow), that would be ideal.
>>
>>53737305
Yes. Microsoft Toolkit. Boom.
>>
>>53737458
you using flash or html5?
>>
>>53737500
give us the exact specific router model #
>>
>>53737540
HTML5, but changing to Flash didn't fix it.

Using a Youtube Proxy seems to have fixed it, though.
>>
File: 1453438643338.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
1453438643338.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1440
>>53734567
So I'm using a 802.11n router I got from my service provider

Issue here is that I tinkered around with the settings, knowing full well the differences between standards and channels, and decided to change it from (n,g,b) to just (n) because of the noticeable differences in range. Well apparently the 3DS doesn't have compatibility with the 802.11n standard. So I have to revert back to 802.11g. There is an option to use 802.11n/g together (if that's actually how it works) but it kills the range I had with N.

What would be the best solution to keeping the range I get from 802.11n while being able to maintain compatibility with the 802.11g standard for my 3DS?
>>
>>53737607
Sell your 3DS
>>
>>53737607
Buy a cheap g router and connect the two, then put a signal booster on the second router.
>>
>>53737633
I would but my flatmate still uses his 3DS for MHX.
>>53737660
I thought as much. I'll have to go dig out my old g router then. Thanks.
>>
>>53737607
Router A, main router, no wireless
Router B wireless g for your 3DS, connected to Router A
Router C wireless n for your computer, connected to Router A
>>
>>53737559
sr102-c sky hub
>>
>>53736819
To reinstall Windows? The only thing you have to do is get it to UEFI-boot from a USB stick. Usually there's a key it says to press to select a boot device.

>>53737391
Carpal tunnel syndrome. See a doctor. Re-evaluate posture and keyboard position. Get a more ergonomic keyboard, maybe one of those obnoxious split ones. Maybe a wristrest.

>>53737607
Yes, there is a N/G option at least on most routers. Allowing legacy devices makes everything generally a bit slower but not by that much.

Currently I have mine on N only for better performance, then have my Linux torrent box (with wired connection to the router) putting up a B/G network using hostapd as needed for legacy devices. A second router with its upstream port connected to one of the N router's switch ports would work equally well.

>>53737732
What is even the point of having router A? Why not make routers A and C the same one?
>>
Is it possible to damage a PCB by removing capacitors? They usually come clean off but couple of times i managed to pull one out with a snot of solder on it.
I mean they don't look as fragile as micro usb for example, where you can rip out tracks out of mobo, they go all the way through.
>>
>>53737732
>router A
So basically its just a damn switch.
>>
>>53737735
>sr102-c sky hub
https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/sky/sr102
>>
>>53737793
You can damage things the same way as with the Micro USB plugs. Usually they come out just fine, but yank too much or heat the pads too hot and they will separate from the PCB. Old or cheap PCBs are more prone to this.
>>
File: spec.png (33 KB, 648x432) Image search: [Google]
spec.png
33 KB, 648x432
Should I upgrade my 120GB SSD to a 256 or should I just splurge for a 500GB?

Also thinking about getting an ultrawide.
>>
>>53737791
>>53737831
Yeah, I wasn't thinking straight :^)
>>
>>53734861
Don't use vlc, instead go for Kawaii Codec Pack, assuming you're on Windows.

(Or mpv on linux)
>>
>>53737865
Why would you need to upgrade? Just get another one.
>>
>>53737879
>Kawaii Codec Pack
>Not mpv for Windows
cum on m8, step it up
>>
>>53737886
Mpv on windows is pretty bad though.
It can't even read all files in a folder.
>>
>>53737886
This is a stupid question thread, not a stupid advice thread.
>>
can you program apps for iOS devices with Windows or is it a pain in the ass and will the results suffer?
>>
>>53737899
Who cares, most people just double-click the movie they want to see and get done with it.

mpv just werks, no need for a shitty codec pack, pretty much like VLC works.
>>
>>53737947
Too much work and the end result still requires a MAC.
>>
>>53737963
>movie
We literally just established he was watching anime, which usually comes in multiple episodes.

>mpv works just like VLC!
And we just said VLC doesn't work.

You also don't know what KCP is.
>>
So I was cleaning my room and in the process, I decided to move my computer.

I unplugged and replugged all the cables, and now my second monitor isn't being detected. I know it works, I know the cable is OK, but for whatever reason Windows 7 just doesn't know it's plugged in.

I've updated drivers, rolled back the drivers, tried to roll back a Windows update that happened right before I moved it, however I don't think that update was related at all.

What gives? Did my card give out right when I unplugged my monitor?

Hoping someone could give me a hand...
>>
>>53737963
Retard, you just run the KCP installer and all you do after that is double click a file to play, how's that difficult or any diff from VLC? Also no stupid config files like MVP has, "it just werks" as a retard like you would say.
>>
File: Screenshot (56).png (293 KB, 1914x889) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (56).png
293 KB, 1914x889
This error keeps showing up on Appchanx (I am using Opera + Download Chrome Extension)

How do I get it working again? It was fine 30 minutes ago
>>
>>53737999
Is your card actually secured in place? i.e. did you screw it onto your case? Sometimes people forget when testing.

>>53737865
As he said, I would get another one and run them side by side. Get a 256 mushkin for like $80. If you want, go for 512, but be careful.. some 512s don't have as good as performance as 256s.

If you want what I would do, I would buy 2x256 and run them in RAID0 stripe. Or buy a really nice PCI SSD.
>>
>>53737997
>We literally just established he was watching anime, which usually comes in multiple episodes.
mpv works with multiple episodes. Yeah, on Windows.

>And we just said VLC doesn't work.
mpv =/= VLC

>You also don't know what KCP is.
Unneeded bloat for your computer.

>>53738016
Whatever, if his computer can't handle playing a file with VLC, KCP most likely won't make it any better, yeah, it will play the file but I hope he likes stuttering.

>Also no stupid config files
Why would you need those in the first place is beyond my understanding, like I said, it works. Done. Maybe an autist like you can explain it to me.

Stay with your meme pack, I'll enjoy my hassle-free media player.
>>
File: disks.png (14 KB, 1148x304) Image search: [Google]
disks.png
14 KB, 1148x304
Hello anons, retard here.

I bought a new 4TB SSD hybrid and I want it to just completely replace my old 1TB HD which is slow, probably gonna die soon, and all around is just shit.

I don't know how to partition a boot drive, I don't even know if I should make a SSD hybrid a boot drive, and I don't know how to get everything on it except for dragging my entire C folder over there which probably doesn't work.
>>
>>53738117
>if his computer can't handle playing a file with VLC

>implying the computer is the problem
>not VLC
>>
windows 7, how do I thumbnails for webms?
>>
>>53737388
Find a college anon, there are loads of gamers at colleges. Mine has a for sale page exclusively for college students. Maybe you can find a /g/ shill.
>>
>>53738094
This computer was my first build, so that's something I hadn't considered. Thanks for that recommendation. If that doesn't work, is there something else you would recommend?
>>
>>53738127
Just google how to clone hard drive partitions.

Hybrid drive should be fine for main (boot) drive. I would prefer an SSD, but if your hybrid has enough flahs it should be up to par.
>>
>>53738140
Even if it isn't mpv is a better option.
>>
>>53738204
>clone hard drive partitions
That's a thing? Holy shit.

However, I do scan and everything comes up clean, but theoretically if there was a virus, it would clone the virus too right?
>>
>>53738223
Not for Windows, since it's missing features.<
Can't even play multiple files!
>>
>>53738141
You can't.
>>
>>53738084
Aaand it is back again

Like magic
>>
>>53738241
Most people just double-click the file they want to see and call it a day.
If he wasn't using that feature in the first place does it really matter?
>>
>>53738226
Yep. Run it with something like adwcleaner or maybe combofix if you're not sure.

For shjobs like that i use hiren's boot cd. Burn the iso or make bootable flash drive, boot it. There's a clonedisk in there or ghost32 dependig on version. Just triple check when selecting source and destination disks or you'll clone the empty onto your current one.
>>
>>53737281
>>53737288
Sorry for late reply.

There are no BSODs or graphic glitches, so that's probably it. Any good manufacturers you would recommend?
>>
>>53738296
>>53738084
Same here (Waterfox + plain 4chanX).
Every time I open 4chan for the first time since launching the browser. Some fucked up shit.
Even funnier, my first post isn't posting normally. It goes thru, but bumps back with an "maybe you banned" error and doesn't count as mine.
>>
File: 1387830643563.jpg (172 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1387830643563.jpg
172 KB, 720x720
>>53734567
Is there a good guide to debloating my Android phone? A lot of the stuff I see online looks like bull. And a lot of them require programs...
>>
>>53738529
This app
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jumobile.manager.systemapp#
and common sense. Also, root.
>>
>>53736786
>>53736357
>>53736659
>attempting to run System Restore through any application causes it to crash, including task manager and CMD
>upon running Explorer after a crash, it "does not have enough memory" to open a window
what the fuck
>>
File: surface_pro_4.jpg (264 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
surface_pro_4.jpg
264 KB, 1500x1000
Red pill me on this piece of shit. Good tablet? Good laptop? Not going to play games on it so the Intel GPU will suit me fine, just wondering if there's any glaring issues with this thing.

Probably going to get the model with an i5 processor, 8 GB of RAM and 256 GB of storage.

Really need something that's portable as heck yet runs full Windows so I can dump my old computer and use this as a desktop replacement instead while using it as a tablet in bed and elsewhere for media consumption.
>>
just installed a rom on my opo.

if i install the update, will it delete everything on my phone? pictures, music, etc? or will it just install the new rom only?
>>
>>53738333
>hiren's boot cd
That looks like maybe a bit much for what I'm trying to do. I just want to simply copy the 900gigs of shit I have on my old HDD to my new one, and make it bootable. Can I just drag and drop everything, or does that not work for the OS?
>>
Why are my headphones making this sharp as sound? I was watching Aqua Teen Hunger Force, and all of a sudden, this sharp as humming sound comes up, and I can barely hear the audio of the show anymore. I've been using this headset for a year, and not once has this happened before.
>>
>>53738722
A simple Google search will give you all answers, friend. Bad battery life, no upgradability, mediocre build quality, overheating issues, over priced. I kwan come on, I thought I was on /g/, this is pretty simple
>>
How do I get foobar to pause while clicking middle mouse on tray icon?
>>
I'm a noob

my motherboard: ASRock B85M Pro4 Intel B85 So.1150

right now I have this: "8GB ADATA Premier DDR3-1600 DIMM CL11 Dual Kit"

I would like to upgrade, get some more ram since I have some money to spend right now and ram seems to be very cheap

I have 2 ram slots left

could I simply get this: "16GB ADATA Premier-Serie DDR3-1600 DIMM CL11 Dual Kit"

and have (4+4)+(8+8) = 8+16 = 32 GB RAM

can you dual dual channel ram, does that work?

or what should I do/buy?
>>
>>53739148
I know, I know 8+16 = 24 I just came from work please don't kill me
>>
If a file transfer has done nothing or very little over the course of 26 hours, should cancelling and redoing it work, or are there other ways to improve or at least wake up the process?

Got to love navigators.
>>
There was a website that let you make a custom installer for putting a number of programs onto a brand new build at once.
I have forgotten what it was and now need it.
Could somebody tell me what it is?
>>
>>53739251
Wait, found it, ninite.

Unless somebody knows better.
>>
>>53738318
>>53738241
Thanks for suggestions, I'll try mpv, never used because I figured someone was just shilling software again. Never heard of KCP so Ill look into that too
>>
File: 1431808976101.jpg (110 KB, 496x818) Image search: [Google]
1431808976101.jpg
110 KB, 496x818
After restoring my android with nandroid backup with Clockworkmod, the internal storage is write-protected. I can't modify any file, gallery can't see any pics and trying to save anything will give me an error. How can I remove this? I can't do factory reset, that's why I did the nandroid backup.
>>
File: 1441004316558.png (2 MB, 1006x2000) Image search: [Google]
1441004316558.png
2 MB, 1006x2000
my laptop has random slow downs on my games and in windows general it would be slow for 5 seconds and it will be back to normal and its fucking frustrating
>examples
playing new vegas 60 fps and then I get 30 fps or even 1
opening the win explorer and had 5 or 10-second loadings
watching youtube and freeze for 5-10 seconds on full screen
I thought that it was win 7 and did the test on fresh win 10 and still is the same problem

its a dell m6600 with dedicated graphics and Nvidia Quadro 3000 and I have all the necessary drivers but still this shit is happening
>>
>>53739519
Sounds like it's overheating. Monitor CPU usage and temp. If you see temp go to 90+ and usage suddenly dip to 50%, you need to open that puppy up and clean him out and replace the thermal paste.
>>
>>53739519

dead chipset.

check your temps
>>
Anyone got that one picture that has a bunch of programming challenges? I think it has a black background, and the challenges (must have been at least 30) were all listed in white text.

Alternatively, anyone got ideas for programs to put in a programming portfolio? I haven't worked on big projects except one college project that spanned over 2 semesters.
>>
File: 1454463918393.png (232 KB, 718x369) Image search: [Google]
1454463918393.png
232 KB, 718x369
So I just installed my new BenQ XL2730Z monitor and it's equipped with FreeSync but AMD settings says the monitor isn't supported. Anybody know why? I'm having trouble finding help on the internet.
>>
>>53739614
>>53739642
I have normal temps 40 to 60 max
but i should make a cleanup on this laptop thanks
>>
I can't start VSS to run a System Restore from Safe Mode. It deliberately says, "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode."

Why the fuck not? I can't access Services in regular browsing, so I cannot turn it on in Normal mode either.
>>
>>53739732
Whelp, never mind. AMD Settings just decided to recognize the monitors capabilities.
>>
>>53738529
Install Titanium backup, it has an option to uninstall built-in apps.

Needs root though.
>>
>>53736387
That tiny bra on those big breasts is such a tease. When i reverse search that image, it links me to bodybuilding.com .. the fuck
>>
File: 1458887919905.jpg (58 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1458887919905.jpg
58 KB, 500x375
If u get a SSD for boot

Shiukd u get a hybrid or regular HDD for mass storage?
>>
Yesterday when I started my PC I got an error message with ''overcurrent detected on usb, shutting down to prevent mobo damage'' or something like that so I unplugged my cases front USB ports from the mobo and it fixed it

Question is should I be worried about this? What's more like to be the issue, the mobo or the case's USB ports?

Also if it matters I used a ps3 controller a lot, plugged in those ports, could that break stuff?
>>
>>53740062
fairly sure hybrids are useless scams
>>
how do you play youtube videos with mpv?
>>
as long as a hard drive has no reallocated sectors its in good health yes? I know they get a bit slower over time, my main one has 8800 power on hours and not sure if I should start thinking of replace with a newer one
>>
Is the Oculus Rift waterproof? Was thinking of taking it in the hot tub with me.
>>
>>53740347
I was under the impression that all hard drives have at least a few reallocated sectors, since statistically at least some are bound to be bad even right out of the factory.
>>
If I install the ATI drivers and untick their new settings app on the installation will it install the full-featured Catalyst instead? Or do I need to manually go and download the installer for an older driver to install that?
>>
File: Adblocker.png (15 KB, 302x139) Image search: [Google]
Adblocker.png
15 KB, 302x139
I have both AdblockPlus and uBlockOrigin as Chrome extensions. I know that AdblockPlus doesn't block a lot of stuff anymore, is it still better to keep both (as they complement each other?) or can I just stick to uBlockOrigin and remove the other.
>>
>>53740454
They all use the same blocklist
>>
>>53740465
So no advantage of keeping ABP whatsoever?
>>
>>53740483
not really
>>
File: cdisc.png (851 KB, 1014x909) Image search: [Google]
cdisc.png
851 KB, 1014x909
>>53740412
I think 100 means none
>>
File: Facebook_icon.svg.png (59 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
Facebook_icon.svg.png
59 KB, 2000x2000
I searched on Firefox addons and could not find one that blocked Facebook comments forms on pages outside Facebook.
I don't want to comment on these forms, and would prefer if they were blocked. Can someone please hlep me?
>>
File: Untitled.png (104 KB, 621x1080) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
104 KB, 621x1080
I want a simple music player to replace winamp for playing loose files in windows explorer. Something that doesn't take up much more screen space than what I'm using now.

Any ideas?
>>
Is anyone using Windows 10 LTSB? I remember pirates recommending it when Windows 10 was released.

Are there any downsides to using it? Other than the shitty metro apps, are there any major differences using it?
>>
File: Dvdisaster.png (1 KB, 24x24) Image search: [Google]
Dvdisaster.png
1 KB, 24x24
I have here 2 CD-RWs that have a strange problem: they open on Windows Explorer, have 374MB and 559MB of data, but DVDISASTER can read only less than 1MB. What is happening???
>>
>>53740547
on OSX quick time player is pretty small (pretty much as minimalist as can be), maybe there is an equivalent thing for windows QuickTime-player? But other than that I have made the experience that quick-time doesn't run well on windows.
>>
>>53736183
>>53736329
>slamming on their brakes for a fucking bird
>not their fault

You guys are fucking retarded to not see how hard that car braked.
>>
>>53740547
VLC and MPC-HC are both pretty small when playing audio files.
>>
>>53736888
>>53737014
Both are shit but at least reds aren't mushy as fuck. Honestly its all personal preference so just get a switch tester.
>>
>>53734567
how to start a binarry under /bin/ with parameters so that everytime it gets executed it starts with the parameters?
>>
Is a 120 GB SSD enough for OS + programs?

Is it true you need to leave around 25% of free space on a SSD so it will be faster?
>>
What is the best free alternative to gmail?
Possibly somenthing reliable and that doesn't make you look idiot when you say it loud
>>
>>53740644
Yahoo mail classic, maybe? What's your hangup with gmail, botnet concerns?
>>
Is using an e-reader for both reading and listening to music such a bad idea? or should I keep an mp3 player separated from the e-reader?
>inb4 use your phone
That's no help to me
>>
>>53740644
I use safe-mail but not in normie contexts and while I never had issues I cant exactly vouch for its reliability
>>
>>53740638
Create a shell script with the parameters in it and run that instead

Why do you want to do this? Depending on the use case you probably actually want to do something else...
>>
>>53740643
Should be alright as long as you're not putting a bunch of large games on it and you have another drive for media storage, but unless you're using a laptop I'd spring for a 250GB.
>>
>>53740689
yeah trying to start a programm with demu witch only eats binarrys.
im writing myself a c programm think that executes my programm with my needed parameters.

>>
>>53740643
Not really, you should get 240GB

And that is somewhat true, not 25% but around 15GB left so your OS has apace to move stuff around.
>>
If I wanted to upload all my photos to a cloud service ( my internet provided gave me lots of storage for free and I have maximum upload speed there ).

What should I do before I proceed, should I encrypt all the pictures? What's the best way to do that? Trough archiving?
>>
>>53740743
Put them all in a .7z and put a strong AES 256 password
>>
>>53740729
>>53740689
>>53740638

this i my code
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

int main() {
system("nemo --no-desktop");
return 0;
}

its meh but werks...
>>
I'm still new at programming, and currently learning Java. I was just wondering, when is it exactly a good idea to use multiple methods in one class? Is there any golden rule or general rule of thumb to using multiple methods?
>>
Would you go for 1440p in a monitor or 144hz?

Would you get a 144hz monitor and use a 60hz monitor as a secondary monitor?
>>
Do people in call centers listen to you when you're on hold?

I know the other day my mom was really chewing one of them out and then she got put on hold, 10 minutes went by and I told her "you know she's probably going to leave you on hold for an hour because you pissed her off" and then literally two seconds later she was back on the line, it was somewhat suspicious to me.
>>
>>53740778
Awesome, thank you man.
>>
>>53740547
Foobar
>>
>>53740664
I don't know, i don't like google from when they unified all their services (youtube, gmail, g+, ecc) and i would like to get away from them.

Don't be angry, i just looked up what a botnet is, but i can't see the relationship between gmail and a botnet, mind explaining?
>>
>>53740812
Yeah, and they can hear you after you hang up too.
>>
>>53740807
1440p and a secondary.monitor indeed
>>
>>53740803
Multiple public methods? When your class does more than one thing.
Multiple private methods? Whenever it makes your code easier to understand, or whenever you find yourself doing the same thing multiple times.
>>
File: Specs.png (247 KB, 2131x910) Image search: [Google]
Specs.png
247 KB, 2131x910
>>53740807
No, I went 4k single @60 and don't care about dual monitor setup any more, at all.
>>
>>53740807
Is your PC strong to even play games at 144FPS?

Is your PC strong to even play games 1440p at 60FPS?

both 144hz monitors and 1440p monitors require a beastly PC, unless your just gonna play CSGO.
>>
>>53740803
Usually it is better for other classes to access a public method than it is to manipulate fields directly.

Besides that, any time you feel an additional method would make your code more concise or easier to understand I wouldn't hesitate to make one.
>>
>>53740643
>>53740701
>>53740730
Those guys may be right, however if it is just a basic web machine with office and you leverage cloud tools then yeah 128 is okay. I have 128 in my xps13 and have 90gb free.

powercfg -hibernate off
^^^ that'll save you a ton of disk space.
>>
>>53740062
get another SSD for mass storage
>>
I'm getting shafted by my isp, and am in the market for a new one. What does /g/ recommend (I am in the USA)?
>>
>>53740881
I have a 980Ti.

Also, regarding the the whole "why bother with secondary monitors" I have been feeling a need for more workspace, as well as the convenience of not having to alt-tab all the time.
>>
>>53740954
AT&T 20/20 Fiber

WTF dude, go find your local ISPs, they are different all over the place.
>>
>>53740954
>>53740954
>I'm getting shafted by my isp, and am in the market for a new one. What does /g/ recommend (I am in the USA)?

This is either an intentional troll or you really are confused.

USA is very large and not all providers are everywhere, hell even if you have multiple providers in your town there might only be 1 with lines on your street.

Give us your town at the very least or what your current choices you know of are.
>>
>>53740863
>>53740891
I'll try to remember that. So far all the assignments I've done I don't ever feel like I need to use multiple methods, after learning about multiple methods. So not sure if I'm doing something wrong or there's really just no use for them.
>>
>>53740954
I use time Warner, they're pretty solid but a lot of people don't like them.

Any cable internet service should be fine, unless you have access to a fiber network.

I know for a fact to stay far away from Comcast, and AT&T uverse (personal experience). Hope this helps
>>
I have a Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming 980TI and the LEDs don't have a gradient when I set the LEDs to multi colour. Does anyone know how to fix this?
>>
>>53740988
Well what exactly are you talking about when you say "multiple methods"? Do you mean overloaded methods? Or just putting more than one method in a class?
>>
>>53740612
you should have enough distance between the car in front based on the current speed the traffic is moving
>>
>>53740988
It's most likely just that you've been given easy assignments.

Hell, look at Java's standard library. Collection has a million methods already, and List and Set just add more.
>>
File: resolution-4k-ultra-hd-size.png (2 KB, 397x209) Image search: [Google]
resolution-4k-ultra-hd-size.png
2 KB, 397x209
>>53740965
yeah, same but dude, 4k is like 4 1080p monitors in 1. Just get 1 big 4k monitor or 3840x1440 (curved). It's comfy
>>
>>53741013
Not sure what you mean by overloaded methods. I just meaning putting one or more methods in a class.
>>
>>53741051
Ah yeah, then it's probably just that your assignments have been simple enough so far that you haven't needed to.
>>
File: 4of8ram.png (270 KB, 1920x1038) Image search: [Google]
4of8ram.png
270 KB, 1920x1038
someone pls help.
Windows 7 64 bit
8 GB ram installed and detected by windows, but only 4 GB is usable

I took out the RAM and swapped their slots with no change.

Do I have a dead RAM stick? Or a dead DIMM slot?
>>
>>53740916
Yeah its just for OS + programs, my games and other shit go to a 3TB HDD
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.