[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Intel Centrino in 2016
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: hqdefault.jpg (7 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
7 KB, 480x360
Okay /g/.

I have an question: can a Intel Centrino laptop still survive in 2016?It's a Acer Travelmate 800 that I got for cheap,with a non-working touchpad though. I popped a 10GB HDD and a new DVD drive,and loaded up XP SP3 on it. It has 1.25GB RAM (DDR1) and a Radeon Mobility R9 with a max res of 1400x1050.

So? What do you think /g/,can it hold up in 2016? I do have ''lite'' DVDs (and even CDs) of Windows Vista SP2 and 7. This laptop also has a WiFi card (some 2003 Intel 2100 card)

Oh,and the battery still holds charge.
>>
>DVD
You'r kill end self
>>
pirate 7 and max out the ram , and be done with it, ssd if you have one spare
>>
>>53734354
Why?It came with a DVD-RW drive that couldn't read anything,so I had to replace it with a QSI (Toshiba-made as far as I remember) DVD/CD-RW drive.
>>
>>53734390
>ssd if you have one spare
I would go for that but it has a IDE interface.

As for the RAM,it came with 2 GB but I can't find for the life of me where the other 1GB stick is. I don't think I can go any higher than 2GB tho.

As for 7,I've got "lite" versions out of TPB,as I've got a 10GB HDD. I should upgrade the HDD as soon as I find a larger one (a 40GB should cut it)
>>
>>53734340
While you CAN run Windows Vista-10 on this machine, you'd be better off with XP, possibly even the "FLP" variety, or some lightweight Linux distro like Lubuntu.

If you do go with Windows 7, use the Windows Classic theme -- that GPU sounds like a piece of crap. Keep it far away from Aero or the 8.1-10 composited themes.

An SSD would make a big difference, and I know IDE SSDs exist. I even have a 1.8" ZIF one for a Vaio UX handheld. But short of an SSD, even moving up to a 160+ GB HDD would make a big difference over 10-40 GB. Higher physical density means faster performance at the same RPM.
>>
>>53734746
>and I know IDE SSDs exist
Yeah,but over here where I live they're rare as hens teeth.

As for it,it seems to handle usual XP fairly well (it strangely says Windows XP Professional 1-2CPUs,but where's the second CPU?) so no need for FLP for now.

If I ever migrate to 7,Aero would be non-existant,especially on Radeon M9. (Mobility 9000)
>>
>>53734850
The Windows you have is licensed for 1-2 CPUs. You have 1. If you installed it on a system with 3 or more CPUs, you'd only be able to use the first 2.
>>
I still use a T42 on a regular basis, It's got a Pentium M Centrino, 2gb of ram and a 40gb hdd

Still works just fine for shitposting and office applications. It would probably run like a dream with Mint + Windowmaker
>>
>>53734879
That's quite impossible since Centrino is a single-core CPU. And it doesn't even use the same HT thingy that P4 has so it shows that.
>>
>>53734441
I know some older machines like that have one stick on each side of the board. So one easy to reach on the bottom and one underneath the keyboard
>>
I've been using a Pentium M until late 2015. Even with its laughable 1.6GHz, it was still quite bearable for some programming and light web browsing. My biggest gripe was that it was single-core, so if I stumbled onto a JS-heavy website, the whole system would slow down to snail pace.
>>
>>53734922
Describes my laptop exactly. One on the underside and one under the KB.

>>53734937
Huh,mine goes pretty snappy,what RAM did you have in it?
>>
>>53734907
Yeah. You're running it on a one CPU machine. Had you installed the same copy of Windows on a two CPU machine it would work there too -- unlike XP Home which is limited to one CPU iirc. Also, multiple cores would not count against it. Windows licensing is by number of sockets, not logical processors.

>>53734937
IMO to do modern web stuff you really want 2 cores unless you don't care about doing anything else at the same time.

Right now I'm using a crappy old AspireOne someone gave me because it was 'slow'. It's got a dual core AMD C-50. I upgraded the RAM to 4 GB and installed Windows 8.1 for now. It runs quite nicely now for most web and shit, but I'd hate to compile anything sizable on it.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.