[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How rampant do you think ransomware will be in a couple year
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
File: cryptolocker-100222101-orig.png (85 KB, 745x584) Image search: [Google]
cryptolocker-100222101-orig.png
85 KB, 745x584
How rampant do you think ransomware will be in a couple years?

It's starting to concern me, especially with the increasing effort for better encryption to make you pay.

I don't enjoy the thought of spending hours helping family decrypt their files.

It's scary it will also fuck up any shares that are accessible from the infected machine.

So be careful if you share a NAS or shares with family.

enterprise wise, this is a real bitch, but there are some precautions you can take. worst case you have to spend a weekend restoring backups.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/the-art-of-the-maktub-locker-ransomware/
>>
GNU/Linux.
>>
>>53733994
You deserve it for being on Windex
>>
File: MacOS-X Ransomware-b.jpg (80 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
MacOS-X Ransomware-b.jpg
80 KB, 700x525
When professionals shift their focus from Windows to osx. It will be a nightmare for Apple
>>
>>53733994
If your family or enterprise don't have enough common sense to keep their computers free of that kind of shit, just buy a good antivirus with firewall.
>>
>>53734071
in an enterprise environment you would need to filter emails since primarily that's where it comes from. but at home you don't have that luxury, and if it's a new ransomware or new version there is a good chance your antivirus won't pick it up.

i'm going to guess you're baiting though since no one expects their family to have common sense and a firewall would be of no help here.
>>
>>53734023
>>53734042
There are a new one that run on java so linux and osx can be infected too.
>>
File: 1432867182645.gif (455 KB, 500x385) Image search: [Google]
1432867182645.gif
455 KB, 500x385
>be me
>drunk and stoned
>read about cryptolocker
>decide to write my own ransomware
>use it to infect and extort pedophiles
>???
>$$$

It's so easy a braindead monkey could do it.
>>
>>53734459
>implying easy means good
>>
>>53734305
>implying I even have java installed
If your program is written in Java, it's not going on my machine. Java will die in the future.
>>
>>53733994
Install Gentoo.
>>
>>53734042
All the more true as many MacShills like to believe their propritary OS is absolutley immune to viruses.
>>
Install gentoo, make weekly backups, and don't install untrusted packages or run suspicious scripts you find on the internet

Now you don't have to worry about getting shitty viruses ever again
>>
You won't need to spend the time decrypting the files, because the entire point of this shit is that you can't decrypt anything you fucking moron.

And before you sperg out and mention the 2 that have been broken, there is a fucking reason you don't see those infections anymore.
>>
>>53734305
who cares? in a professional environment everything important is stored on a server and not the individual workstations. so nothing of value is lost when some workstation gets infected.
>>
>>53735271
>You won't need to spend the time decrypting the files, because the entire point of this shit is that you can't decrypt anything you fucking moron.

Our NSA friends have already made inroads into cracking a few 1024-bit RSAs primes. Once they unlock the secrets of quantum computing, Cryptoragnarok will be unleashed and our boys in blue will be able to free all of CryptoLocker's victims. Their 2048-bit keys will stand no chance. Also cocks.
>>
>>53735811
Gotta say I am a fan of your ironic patriotism
>>
>>53733994
Backups defeat cryptolockers.
But even beyond that, most have shitty crypto implementation. Google your particular variant and somebody probably has broken it.
>>
>>53734459
>Easy
But did you use it? And if so how much effort did you put into not being caught. You'd gotta be real
Careful if you didn't go all in.
>>
Snapshots/Shadow Copy renders bitlocker useless.
>>
>>53734042
Good for Apple that such a time will come.
>>
>>53733994

https://www.foolishit.com/cryptoprevent-malware-prevention/

Wow.
How difficult to prevent ransomware.
>>
>>53736097
I have backups i'm not worried of losing my shit, but i'm sure as hell not going to backup other people's shit which means eventually i'll get a text asking me to fix this shit
>>
>>53733994
Not rampant enough.

Wincucks need to get slapped and hurt with the BBC, since they seem to enjoy to just watch it fuck their wives as long as they get to play "muh gaems" in the meantime.
>>
>>53736933
The nice thing is that you can honestly say "Nothing I can do". Maybe do a quick Google to see if the ransomware has a flaw someone else discovered. Otherwise, they're screwed.
>>
>>53737030
I can imagine all those angry customers I have to deal with now.

Already have enough customers that demand I recover their data and replace their hardware since they set a windows login password that they forgot, or fucked up their OS installation hard with malware.

I should've become a lumberjack.
>>
>>53736528

>ransomware appears
>new market for ransomware detectors/preventers appears
>99.9% probability that the people that created the ransomware bullshit did it because they knew they could create the market for ransomware detectors/preventers

You are fucked either way and will pay either way.

>stupid fucking people will be the death of us all
>>
>>53734305
>having a JVM installed
top cuck
>>
>>53734042
dear god os x used to look like literal poop before yosemite
>>
>>53734305
Linux users don't download from random websites, they use package manager and download from trusted sources with signed packages.
Nobody is gonna download something precompiled from a website and use it on Linux specially with root privs.
>>
>>53733994
>not using OS X or freedom Linux
>not having a separate machine or secured VM for testing unknown files
>not have rotating backups of your data
>using Winblows, ever, except in a secured VM for testing shit

You're asking for it.

>>53734305
>using Java. ever.

You literally deserve a crypto locker.
>>
>>53734042
>>53734616

OS X has a far, far smaller attack surface than Winshit. So does Linux.

Nothing is 100% immune. But so far the only successful malware attacks against OS X have been socially engineered attacks. That screenshot is a perfect example. Nothing is locked, nothing has happened, leave page or Force Quit Safari and continue with your day. It's a joke page, and Safari is well sandboxed in any case.

You can end up with real malware on a Mac, but generally speaking you have to do one of the following:
* Download unsigned software that contains a virus.
* Run a trojan you think is legitimate and...key point...type in an admin password for the installer.

Meanwhile with Windows 10 a script kiddie can take down an entire fucking enterprise network. Windows is shit.
>>
As long as faggots keep paying for it, it will only get worse. Make fucking cold backups. But the ones who get this shit are the ones who never will. Also some people pay just because they think it's the only way to get their PC back, they don't have any data, just want to use it again. Go ask someone at Walmart how many requests they get to buy moneypak and bitcoin. It's gonna get much much worse.
>>
File: fIr9Wqu.png (25 KB, 608x210) Image search: [Google]
fIr9Wqu.png
25 KB, 608x210
>>53734014
>>53735236
>>53738869
If Linux and OSX had a larger marketshare, they would be targeted with ransomeware as much as Windows already is. It's all about making as much money as possible in as short of time as possible. Why bother developing for OSX and Linux if ~90% of consumer PCs run Windows?
>>
>>53739108
>muh marketshare argument!

99% of ransomware authors wouldn't have the first fucking clue how to attack OS X or Linux. If they did they would be attacking OS X because there are a lot of OS X users and they typically have zero AV installed so it would be a gold mine.

The attack surface for UNIX/OS X/Linux is much, much smaller. Especially since both Apple and the Linux community continue to take steps to secure their OSes. I have complaints about Apple, but they are just fucking cool when it comes to security and privacy, and they keep moving forward.

Windows has a billion malware packages because in the early days NO ONE at Microsoft gave any thought to security. And now some of their design decisions are cast in stone (i.e. if you change the library/API you break >90% of software).

tl;dr - Windows really is shit.
>>
Ransomware is still a thing? You think people would be aware by now.
>>
>>53739495
All it takes is one retard for it to be worthwhile.
>>
>>53733994
>I don't enjoy the thought of spending hours helping family decrypt their files.

LMAO if it was a matter of hours this wouldn't even be an issue. The problem is you're shit out of luck - data will be lost forever.
>>
Well here is my story:
>Dad downloaded ransomware thinking is java update
>get infected
>shutdown computer and forget it about a day
>power on computer
>holy shit what happens!
>but heh i have a backup of all the important files
>plug it in the infected computer thinking he can copypaste all the important files on desktop because the ransom only show in web browser
>ransomware start encrypting external hdd
>all the files fucked
And he is thinking im a computer master and i can restore the files
How i can tell he loses all the fucking files? He doesnt understand the files are literally fucked and he lose a lot of family pics and videos
I can recover the files if i pay? Or is just bullshit
>>
>>53739908
>I can recover the files if i pay? Or is just bullshit
Depends on the specific type of ransomware. In general, I believe they will give you a key/decryptor, since there business model wouldn't really make any sense if they didn't. However, I've heard of a few where your files are fucked no matter what.

I recommend figuring out what type of ransomware he has in specific, and looking it up. In a few rare instances, the databases containing the keys have been seized by police, and are available online freely. Or, sometimes, there's a backdoor to the ransomware that allows you to unencrypt everything for free.
>>
>>53740022
>since there
their*
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.