[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you do if you hate Windows, yet are too stupid to use
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1
File: drake.png (38 KB, 581x447) Image search: [Google]
drake.png
38 KB, 581x447
What do you do if you hate Windows, yet are too stupid to use Linux?

I have tried so many times to get a Linux distro working well, and I always rage install Windows a few weeks later.
>>
install gentoo
>>
>>53733537
>too stupid to use Linux?
We become winshill on /g/
>>
You install Arch. For the very simple reason that you don't have to compile shit yourself and you learn linux rapidly. It's pretty much learn linux or die - the distro.
Trust me I was the same 3 months ago but now I never boot my windows partition.
>>
>>53733537
There's no way you're too stupid to use Ubuntu or Mint.
>>
>>53733537
>too stupid to use Linux
impossible
>>
>>53733591
Sort of what this guy said
Arch does involve setting up a lot of stuff yourself, but the biggest thing that would help on any distro is to disable X11 (the display server that shows graphical windows and applications)
Force yourself to git gud at the command line, ideally BASH until you're competent
>>
>>53733591
My mine problems are getting my hardware to work right.

My laptop has a 3840*2160 screen and has Nvidia Optimus, and on top of that I play games and vsync litterally makes games unplayable on my 48hz display.
>>
>>53733599
this
>>
>>53733591
hardest part of Arch is immediately after the install....setting up Xorg, DMs, DEs, etc. At least on a virtual machine it is
>>
>>53733695
Kek
#pacman -S kde-desktop kde-applications
All done
>>
>>53733537
Stop falling for the linux meme.
>>
>>53733632
ProPrIeTaRy
>>
>>53733784
yeah...you forgot to install and configure Xorg and xinitrc, along with a DM, which were complete pains for me with drivers. Liked I said, at least on a virtual machine, I don't know how it is for real
>>
Get an iPad and go full normiecore
>>
Campus Int>>53733921
Too poor.

Ideally I would love a hackintosh desktop.
>>
>>53733537
How can you even go wrong with, for example, Ubuntu? What triggers your rage?
>>
ubuntu is pretty damn idiot proof at this point. or debian.
>>
>>53734007
Some programs not scaling

Some programs lagging to the point they are unusable

Videos laggy

GUI laggy

Driver based VSYNC that I cannot figure out how to disable

And making small changes somehow fuck everything up

Its probably my laptop's setup, but its all I have right now.
>>
>>53734074
Have you installed your GPU drivers?
>>
>>53734097
Yes, only one specific method and driver version works.

The rest puts me on a black screen and I have to go into the terminal mode (or whatever its called) and remove them.
>>
>>53733913
pacman -S xorg-server
echo "exec startkde" >> ~/.xinitrc
>>
What do does /g/ think of chromixium/cub linux? actually, what does g think of chrome os even?
>>
>>53733597
>>53733599
>>53733637
>has never tried to get digital audio working in any Linux distro
It's a fucking quagmire of broken drivers and OS components. Endless configurations and workarounds, and still it won't work. Fuck it, fuck all of it.

I could deal with losing Vegas Video, 3dsmax, PS, and even the most basic of protections like not being able to crash your system by completely filling up the OS drive.

But fucking this? Linux is truly time sink the OS. There is FUCKING NOTHING at the end of that rainbow.
>>
Linux is easy. You really must be retarded, Are you on disability?
>>
>>53733537
You can only be lazy or scared of using Linux but not stupid.
>>
>>53733537
Install linux mint or something like it.
The default Cinnamon windowmanager will give you a windows-esque layout & unlike arch or other learn or die versions many people here praise you can just use it like windows & learn some basics on the side. Then when you're ready with pure basics you can try something like arch & actually do harder stuff with a bit more ease and comfort.
>>
>>53734526
Of course I have working audio. I don't understand the problem. I've barely had to touch anything related to the audio system.
>>
>>53734735
I can't help but notice you said
>audio
and not
>digital audio
>analog headphone peasant detected
>>
>>53733537 (OP)
Try Mac OS X. And if you're too stupid for this hand holding OS, you might as well off your self and be done with it.
>>
OP, just live your life and choose what works. Ask yourself, why do you dislike Windows? What is it you wish to achieve with your time on the computer? Which system on paper should give you the most enjoyable experience?
>>
>>53733537
Install Cygwin

It has all the good parts of UNIX based CLI development environment minus the shitiness of xorg, pulseaudio, systemd, gnome, kde, etc

Unless you have money to spare in which case buy a Mac
>>
Maybe mac but at least you aren't poor because those things ate awfully expensive.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.