[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sound cards
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
I listen to a lot of music, typically in lossless audio formats.

Assuming I only have the intention of using one output to headphones, what could I gain by using a sound card over the integrated sound? Would the quality be greater?

Assuming there would be some noticable difference, what are the options for sound cards, preferably below $300?

Do they work with any software? I'm using GNU/Linux.

lspci says I'm currently using the following:
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
>>
There is mega huge difference.
>>
>what could I gain by using a sound card over the integrated sound?
a lighter wallet?
>Would the quality be greater?
Nope.
>>
Get an external usb dac+amp. Inside of a pc is very electrically noisy. Schiit modi+magni is good for $200, but remember, your headphones are the most important link in the chain.
>>
>>53733567
I have a pair of relatively new MDR-V6, which I know isn't great, but I don't know anything about headphones either.

What's the difference between the Modi and Magni? Do I need both?

I'm always a bit cautious about getting stuff that's attached via USB, because I never know if it'll work on Linux.
>>
>>53733567
>>53733655
So if I understand this, the Modi converts from digital to analogue, then the Magni is an amplifier of some sort.

Why do I need an amplifier, when I could turn the volume up on the computer?

Sorry for my ignorance.
>>
>Intel
>>
>>53733771
>Why do I need an amplifier, when I could turn the volume up on the computer?
ebin XD
>>
>>Digital to Analog meme

Why not just convert the songs to mp3? :-)
>>
File: freddy.jpg (7 KB, 258x195) Image search: [Google]
freddy.jpg
7 KB, 258x195
>>53733771
>Why do I need an amplifier, when I could turn the volume up on the computer?

If you ever decide to purchase higher-end headphones like the Sennheiser HD600, you'll need to push more power to the headphones to produce your target volume, because the resistance of those headphones is higher than your typical 60-80ohm headphone.

People do this for absolutely no reason just to piss consumers off and make them purchase high end audio equipment for e-peen.
>>
>>53733771
The DAC only outputs a line level signal, if you try and hook it up directly, you'll barely hear anything. The volume control on your amplifier becomes your new way to control volume.
There are also combination amp/DAC devices.
Sony MDR's are extremely easy to power, so it doesn't matter too much what you get.
>>
>>53733866
>>53734003
Thanks, I understand now.
I wouldn't hear much difference using a DAC/amp with MDR-V6, would I?

>>53733866
Speaking of Sennheiser HD600, what's the point of "open headphones" where people around you can hear what you're listening to? Doesn't that waste power?
>>
>>53733511
Rule of thumb about sound cards: if you need to ask if you need it - you don't need it
>>
I have a sound blaster omni .
Had it for like 3 years now
>>
>>53734085

Meh open architecture has less physical limitations and sounds better and is less fatiguing.

Not optimized against c02
>>
Just get an amp/dac combo like the fiio e10
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.