[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
To be a rubyist, or not to be a rubyist
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: ruby.png (89 KB, 959x833) Image search: [Google]
ruby.png
89 KB, 959x833
Hello /g/, I'll make it quick.

I wish to be a developer, and most importantly, an entrepreneur. My language of choice (after having tried a few others) is Ruby, and my platform, Ruby on Rails.

Now, in all honesty, I started recently and have been learning with things like RubyMonk and a few online videos (got no money because I'm broke and can't pay for the good stuff to learn), downloaded a Linux distro after a lifetimes of WIndows and started with the frustrating path of learning.

Now, my dear people, as many of you would know, the key to being able to be successful at these type of activities is to talk to people who are better than you, or at least have the same interests, while networking and expanding your portfolio, but the thing is, I am relatively new to where I am right now (QLD) and do not know these people.

So, what I want to ask (and if you must, please feel free to go on and ramble about the topic), is where do I meet these people? Forums can only be so helpful and a lot of times they aren't what one is looking for.

And also, any other advice on learning and forcing myself into RoR and Ruby more proficiently?

Thank you for your time /g/uys
>>
Ruby is for fags
>>
Ruby is cancer
>>
>I wish to be a developer, and most importantly, an entrepreneur.
Well then you best fuck off and get working, not asking a bunch of retards on 4chan how to learn ruby
>>
>>53731245
>>53731255
I see, why? Is this a meme, or you truly believe it is for fags?
>>
>>53731261
You know what, you're actually right
>>
>>53731268
no, if you use ruby you literally like dick
>>
>>53731268
The Ruby crowd is jumping over to Go.

Also RoR is a disaster.

Anyways, I advice Python2.

Try Freenode IRC, Stackoverflow programming, Hacker News and Producthunt.
>>
>>53732254
why not python3?
>>
>>53731225
It's ok, if you are not looking for a meme language. For me at least, it is the perfect dynamic language: 100% OOP, super powerful metaprogramming, lots of things borrower from functional programming languages.
>>
>>53731225
My advice would be to focus on learning Ruby before jumping into Rails. When you feel comfortable actually using Ruby to write actual, non baby-level scripts (like scrapers and bots as an example), then you'll be able to actually appreciate a framework like Rails and what it provides.

If you're not a programmer and you try to learn everything at once, then you'll become bogged down and overwhelmed by the task of basically learning 3 things at once (programming, Ruby syntax, the Rails framework)
>>
>>53731225
>I wish to be a developer, and most importantly, an entrepreneur.
I'm sorry?
>>
>>53731225
fag
>>
>>53731225
Ruby yes. Rails no.
>>
>rubyist
Fucking hipster webdevs
>>
Try hitting up some computing related conferences and conventions. The smaller ones are usually cheap or free to register for.
>>
>>53731225
QLD as in Brisbane?
>>
File: gyU0me4.png (305 KB, 1432x652) Image search: [Google]
gyU0me4.png
305 KB, 1432x652
>>53731225
this never gets old for me
>>
>>53731283
NO YOUR BREAKING THE SYSTEM YOU CANT DO THA0101010111010101010110010111101010010101010101010101010101010101000011111010101110110001111
>>
>>53731225

Ruby is a nice "all purpose language" similar to Python.

But the best reason to learn Ruby is indeed rails. There is plenty of jobs for professional web development with rails (real companies, not students with their L331 code that doesn't work).

You can learn it here:

>http://www.tutorialspoint.com/ruby/ruby_tutorial.pdf

>http://www.tutorialspoint.com/ruby-on-rails/ruby-on-rails-tutorial.pdf

>http://f.jamo.io/ebooks/RUBY%2520ON%2520RAILS%2520TUTORIAL.pdf

Have fun.
>>
>>53731225

>downloaded a Linux distro after a lifetimes of Windows and started with the frustrating path of learning

Well, it's tough (though rewarding) to learn Linux and a programming langauge at the same time..

> the key to being able to be successful at these type of activities is to talk to people who are better than you

Not necessarily. Linux is mostly "learning by doing". Get your things done, and when a problem arises, google the solution and learn another piece of it. I mean, just don't bother with Linux for now.

As for your programming activities:
Take one or two weeks to get the hang of Ruby. Just do some tutorials, or write some of the stuff in the picture.

After that it's time to start with Rails. Rails is very fast and simple if you know what you are doing. The problem is, you need to understand what rails is doing, and it does a lot of things.

So basically just rent a small sever, work your way through a tutorial and put a website. Then another. And then do a small website for a friend of yours or something like that. Hooray, you're halfway there!
>>
>>53732328
Ignore him. Use Python3
>>
If you're doing web dev for your company's service, OOP is pretty much the worst. I started by thing with ASP.NET, then switched to Closure after we got fucked on hosting.

Functional style where data (including DB data) is just passed around as maps has been a fucking godsend. We've 1:1 rebuilt our site in a fraction of the time, all of the pieces are far simpler to understand, and we're nor having to deal with ORM and fucking reference passing at all.

OOP is garbage. All objects are is maps with a hard schema passed by reference, mutated in place, with attached functions that have implicit references to the calling map. They're goddamn stupid for almost all kinds of computation, immutable maps and functions can do the same shit with less fuckery to think about.
>>
Started my thing with ASP.NET, then switched to Clojure. Fuck auto-correct.
>>
>>53732254
There is nothing wrong with ruby, go is still a very immature ecosystem. Im not a big fan of rails myself but it is highly used still and the ruby language is the basis of the most mature configuration management systems puppet and chef.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.