[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Aquaris M10 Ubuntu Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
Ubuntu Tablet with full hd for only 300€.

What does /g/ think about it?
http://www.bq.com/uk/aquaris-m10-ubuntu-edition

I am thinking about getting one for uni.
This + bluetooth keyboard in my back would be kind of nice, I guess. not sure though.
>>
>Mediatek CPU
How about no.
>>
>>53731319
Never heard of Mediatek. Are they bad?
>>
>>53731220

>inb4 it dies in a yrar lije firefoxOS
>>
>>53731346
It's the shitty CPU of choice for low end chink manufacturers. Barely no support for it either from Mediatek themselves (much less from OEMs) so forget about having an updated Android in there if you get tired of Ubuntu and having to do everything on the internet browser.

I don't know about desktop OSs in ARM tablets but with Mediatek phones you can forget about having a system upgrade EVER, not even from curry ROM modders. It will be forever stuck with whatever Android version it came with, which is usually 1 or 2 versions behind the latest release.
>>
>>53731394
this is not an android tablet though
>>
>linux android without support for android apps

good luck
>>
>>53731560
They sell an Android version which is exactly the same so I wouldn't be surprised if you could flash the Android ROM from the other model in this one.

The point is, with these kind of tablets you eventually need to do mostly everything in the browser with web apps due to the absolute lack of native app support (which is much faster, remember the initial wave of Android apps that were just a slow as hell web container?). For webapps, 2GB of RAM and a low end Mediatek phone CPU is just not going to cut it.
>>
>>53731220
IMHO one of the main selling points of anything sold with linux should be a lower cost.

So far, everything selling with ubuntu on it at shipping costs much more than comparable options with winblows or androigenous on it.

Therefore no, this is not a good idea. Taking literally any x86 winblows tablet that's cheaper and putting ubuntu on it would be a better use of your money and time.
>>
is it vanilla Ubuntu or they had to rebuild desktop to make it touchpad friendly?
>>
You can get x86 Cherry Trail-tablet for under $100 and then install gentoo to it.
>>
Where the fuck is that phone they promised would come out mid-March?
>>
>>53731721
The latter.
It's called 'Ubuntu Touch'
>>
>>53731638
Why would you want to get an ubuntu tablet just to install android?
The point of getting an ubuntu tablet is to run ubuntu which means it will be a browser when it is on the move and a very weak desktop replacement when docked in.
>>
>>53731220
It's a good choice but for about 450eur you can get a decent i3, 4gb ram and dedicated GPU laptop.
>>
>>53731856
>it will be a browser when it is on the move
really bad idea (poor battery life, poor web apps performance)
>a very weak desktop replacement when docked in
even worse idea

The only point of this stuff is just some oooohs and aaaahs and then flashing it with an actual OS that won't force you to eat the battery with a browser open 100% of the time. The responsible engineers just did it because they could, not thinking about if they should.

I mean, just try to use the mobile web version of twitter in your phone. Even with a top of the line flagship it's a miserable experience. Native apps on performance-constrained devices exist for a reason.

Also 16GB flash memory (10GB free for the user) means you won't get much mileage out of it.
>>
>>53731394
Qualcomm shill GTFO.

Mediatec makes great SOCs now.
>>
>>53731961
>poor battery life
It is not any worse than phones but I get it is a problem.
>poor performance
It should be fine, and you can use a snap if you need something better.
>Twitter being slow
There is open source twitter applications for ubuntu, it should be easy to make a snap for that.
>16 gb
There is an SD slot, so you can just put more in if you need the space.

I don't think you can dismiss everything just by looking at how much flash storage it is born with and the processor not being loved by android developers.
>>
File: IMG_20160328_005453.jpg (141 KB, 1280x721) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160328_005453.jpg
141 KB, 1280x721
>>53731394
>>53731638
Hey retard, Ubuntu Touch has a monolithic rootfs, you're guaranteed updates forever without any changes in the HAL, this isn't android

Pic related is my nexus 5
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-28-08-17-52.png (193 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-28-08-17-52.png
193 KB, 1080x1920
>>53731319
Pic related
>>53731220
I'm intersted in the desktop mode, maybe it will be something better than winrt considering that GNU projects are more plausible to get a recompiled binary
>>
>>53732224
I develop android apps and desu never had a bad experience with mtk since 2012
>>
>>53732824
maybe it is the people who build the OS then
>>
>>53732873
Some mtk based chips like
>>53732784
Get gud updates, and before Qualcomm based, don't get me wrong I'm no shill but I think some competition is good before it's a Intel like monopoly
>>
Can I play my visual novels on Ubuntu Touch ?
>>
>>53731360
It's been out for more than a year already.
It also has the benefit of giving the user more rather than less power to the user compared to established mobile OSs and also the benefit of not being developed by the directionless lunatics at Mozilla.
>>
>not Arch
No thanks.
>>
>not Gentoo
No thanks.
>>
>not thanks
No gentoo
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.