[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the cheapest laptop I can get that will fulfill all
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: Cakes for the bakes.jpg (43 KB, 403x604) Image search: [Google]
Cakes for the bakes.jpg
43 KB, 403x604
What's the cheapest laptop I can get that will fulfill all my needs as someone looking to get into coding?
>>
>>53730471
Raspberry pi + 10Ah battery
>>
Not sure but chrome book with ubuntu would be ok I guess
>>
>>53730480
This, but I don't know if this qualifies as laptop.

Buy an x60 / x60s. Less than 100 euros and it has a wonderful keyboard. Also, comfy as fuck.
>>
>>53730471
pretty much anything, really. i have an old hp compaq nc2400 i use when i'm travelling and i want to minimize my risk of getting shit stolen, it has an intel core uno cpu with 1.2ghz or something and runs linux void with i3wm just fine. although firefox takes a bit long to load.

if you want to be safe, get something with a core 2 duo. the thinkpad x200 is nice and pretty cheap. if you have a bit more, get an x220 and you'll be safe.

as for os, i recommend fedora or mint to beginners. they have all the linux perks, decent software compatibility and an idiot proof installer. if you need to be resource efficient (anything under i core cpus), get the mate editions or ubuntu mate or lubuntu.

welcome to the software world!
>>
Chromebook, Acer CB3-111 would be the cheapest where you still get good battery life, specs and quality. Used you can get em for 100$ or less, new they're 170$

You don't even have to make a Linux chroot, just install the caret app and code in that. Or put it in dev mode, install chromebrew and use vim or something.
>>
File: Girl runs for her life.gif (2 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
Girl runs for her life.gif
2 MB, 320x180
Lets say I have 300$ish to spend, would a T420 be a good laptop? Browsing through the /tpg/ pastebins as I type this.
>>
>>53730542
Then raspberry pi, keyboard, 1024x1280 screen and pizza cardboard box.
>>
>>53730653
Ok, I am interested now. Is there a 10-13 inches screen that I can connect to a battery? Like, USB powered or something? Could a Raspberry Pi Destitute Ghetto Laptop be done?
>>
>>53730682
Found this, but it doesn't really qualify as cheap anymore.
http://www.amazon.com/GeChic-2501B-Portable-Monitor-battery/dp/B00H4MWMX0
>>
>>53730682

Dont do it.

Raspberries are created by fisgusting jews, you pay 30$ for the thing itself, but then you realise, no wifi, buy wifi adapter, no bt, buy bt adapter, you will also need a powered usb hub. This shit is ~100$ and you will get a shitty mess of tangled wires with the performance of a 2009 android phone.

Fuck rasperries and everyone who fell for that meme.

Get a shitty windows 7 capable laptop and you are set
>>
>>53730724

This.

Fuck the SoC meme. Only hipsters and 12 year old fags buy those shits
>>
>>53730708
Found this myself,
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/usb-powered-monitor
but I don't think OP will benefit from this anyway. The whole ghetto laptop would end up costing more than a second hand thinkpad.
>>
>>53730724
Well, RPi 3 includes wifi and bluetooth. You do need powering the thing, of course.
>>
>>53730724
>>53730738
We're talking theoretically. Do you know that shit like this is a symptom for literal autism?

>>53730682
>>53730744
New idea
>get a fucked up laptop from 2004 for 10$ off of ebay
>use laptop screen and case, replace internals with raspi and BT keyboard
>do this http://m.instructables.com/id/How-to-Convert-a-Laptop-LCD-into-an-External-Monit/
>>
>>53730643
T420 is a great laptop. It's what I learned to program on.
>>
>paying 35$ for 1gb ram and quad core cortex-a53
kek they prob cost like 10$ at most to produce
>>
>>53731859
>what are fixed costs
>>
>>53730471
T420. Great Linux support, reasonably fast hardware, decent keyboard and 1600*900 available (seriously you don't want to use 768p for programming. That displays like 2 lines.)
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.