[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why did apple have to fall off on design after the late 00s?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: IMG_20140413_180303[2].jpg (2 MB, 2368x3200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140413_180303[2].jpg
2 MB, 2368x3200
why did apple have to fall off on design after the late 00s?
will we ever be able to get stuff like this but with modern hardware?
>>
>>53729503
what a beauty
>>
>>53729503
Honestly i liked their looks better but i didnt like taking those things apart compared to the newer ones that came after. The palm rest was a bitch to get off and easy to bend in doing so and everything being everything else, like the hard disk, was kind of a nightmare. The plastic island keys are also better imo than the aluminum ones that would eventually get worn down. The only thing i like a lot more about the old ones is i enjoy a locking lcd and a strong hinge even if it isnt as effortless to operate.
>>
If apple bothered to put matte IPS screen in one of those devices used by young people to check if their retro mustache style is in place I could consider trying it out.
>>
>>53729503
That thing was perfect !
>>
>>53729503
That is absolutely fucking hideous
>>
File: EDUL55JJP1MUKq1x.jpg (189 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
EDUL55JJP1MUKq1x.jpg
189 KB, 1600x1200
>tfw the best laptop of all time was killed 10 years ago
>>
File: ion_small.png (1 MB, 1415x940) Image search: [Google]
ion_small.png
1 MB, 1415x940
>>53729859
How on Earth are these the best laptops ever made? What a ridiculous thing to say... and this is coming from someone who has owned one for 7 years and used it consistently ever since.

>Terrible internal design, extremely difficult to disassemble and service anything beyond the SINGLE ram dimm or the wifi card
>terrible ventilation, fan constantly at full blast (yes I clean it regularly, yes the fan itself is in good working order, no I'm not doing anything crazy with it)
>1.5 GB RAM limit (of which 512 MB soldered to the mobo, so yeah, ONE DIMM dawg

The penryn-generation A1181 MacBooks were better than these things in every conceivable way, unless you for some reason specifically want a PowerPC CPU... which you shouldn't, because they're useless and any modern PPC OS is really optimized for heavier server use
>>
>>53729859
That looks like something pulled out of 80's low budget sf movie.
>>
File: Picture 1.png (354 KB, 1440x960) Image search: [Google]
Picture 1.png
354 KB, 1440x960
Powerbook user here.

>>53729503
I will personally maim anyone ever using one of those glossy-screened MBPs. that there is cancer, and the screens had horrible bleed and quality problems as they aged.

it also means they were using a mid-model non-unibody, and I'm still amazed that the machine is running and hasn't desoldered the nvidia or ATI chip yet.
>>
>>53729911
I have one, I used it daily up until a year ago. It's still a great machine. And I'm not just talking hardware, the size, 4:3 screen, and edge to edge keyboard are great. I'd shell out thousands for a modern one, it's simply perfection. But yeah, the internals could use a redesign, the thing was a nightmare to service.
>unless you for some reason specifically want a PowerPC CPU
I do
>any modern PPC OS is really optimized for heavier server use
Mac OS X 10.5.8 still works great, as does OpenBSD. I'm sure Linux would run well as well.
>>
File: ion_G4_Logic_Board.png (1 MB, 1072x712) Image search: [Google]
ion_G4_Logic_Board.png
1 MB, 1072x712
>>53729959
I specifically meant Linux when I mentioned PPC OSs; Debian is s-l-o-w as shit, even on lxde or xfce, Puppy Dog Linux (aimed at PPC machines) is similarly gimped, it's really a shame. I used FreeBSD for a while back in maybe 2010; it was okay. I don't remember being disappointed. But yeah, the last time I really used it comfortably was with Debian back in 2011 while I was traveling.

None of them were as fast as the final version of Leopard you mentioned, though. Most of my favorite OS X software stopped shipping PPC versions a while ago though, so I kind of gave up on it.
>>
>>53729999
With Tigerbrew and the few programs that still officially support PowerPC, 10.5.8 is actually still pretty great as a daily driver. I can't really comment on how any Linux distros work but OpenBSD has been flawless
>>
>>53729911
the late Penryn ones are the best ones. the Early 2009 A1181 is the only one that, to my knwoledge, is fully supported by Apple to run anything past 10.7 aside from the aluminum macbook from 2008 that nobody seems to care anything about and are becoming more scarce as A1181s with swapped keyboards flood the second-hand market to make people think they bought a 2008+ model when in actuality it's just a shitty 2007 with a hacked-to-install copy of 10.9 or higher.

the only good side to the A1181 and its legacy is that a fuckton of parts are swappable between year-generations. I have a frankenbook with a 2009 base and other misc parts from a late 2006 black macbook and the keyboard from an early 2008 with some black keys on it to make it usable.

thankfully at one point they offered a matte screen for use with them as an orderable option. but, on the secondhand market, the matte screens go for exceptionally more. batteries from 2006 to 2009 are shared across all of them.
>>
>>53730020
Nice, I'll look into Tigerbrew. I've been considering grabbing a PATA->mSATA adapter and throwing a secondhand 128 GB mSATA SSD into mine... the ones I find on ebay and amazon would fit in the standard space a pata 2.5" drive takes up, and I've had really good luck buying used mSATA SSDs over ebay and such. We could comfortably dual boot Tiger or Leopard and whatever Linux distro we wanted that way.
>>
>>53729820
Glossy screens have much higher contrast though. Never had much problems with reflexions on glossy screens as I can always adjust the angle of the screen so that it doesn't matter. I'd say unless you work in a really unfortunate environment it doesn't matter.
>>
>>53730085
Yeah I've got to get around to upgrading mine to an SSD at some point, did you know you can upgrade to an SXGA+ screen as well? I think I'm going to do that first
>>
>>53730020
I know that feel, but I'm on 10.4.11.
I really hope you're using tenfourfox 31 and not the CPU bloaty newer versions.

the big issue with using an older copy of OSX in this age isn't it being a daily driver, but security. I once asked a developer for an all-in-one arcade emulator app for OSX that still supported 10.6. the next release was 10.9+ only. I go into their IRC channel and ask why, and I get yelled at for using an old copy of OSX and to immediately upgrade like I'm made of money or something.
>>
>>53730151
I haven't used 10.5.8 on my PowerBook in a while, still use a dp 2GHz PowerMac G5 with up to date TenFourFox so that explains why I haven't noticed the CPU heaviness, thanks for the tip, I'll have to remember that for when I boot back into OS X
>>
>>53729503
>4:3
>Magnesium
If Apple decides to kill off MagSafe, too, I'm going to buy a Surface Book.
>>
Still using mine. Core 2 duo ftw.
>>
Damn, this thread is making me start using my G4 12" again, currently installing WoW 1.12 private server just for the fuck of it.
>>
>>53729911
Now that everything is aluminium i'd really like to see some nicely designed Plastic/Acrylic/polycarbon laptops come out again.

All the Alufags will say it feels too 'cheap' though.
>>
>>53731622
Same here, but mine is a dual 450 gigabit tower and im not installing WoW. i should download some os9 games n shit.
>>
>>53729911
These things were rad as fuck
If I could get one of these with a low voltage i7 and improved battery, I'd get one in a heartbeat
>>
>>53729503
but anon, apple is not using modern hardware
>>
>>53729859
One of my macfag friends was disgusted by apple killing off the power line, specifically the 12" which he considered the perfect laptop.

And found >>53729911(pic related) completely repulsive.
>>
>>53731838
>i7
>not POWER8
absolutely disgusting
>>
>Jobs dies
>reality distortion field collapses
>consumers finally realize designs were shit all along
>>
>>53729503
That design isn't very nice to me, much prefer the new
>>
>>53730467
That's not 4:3, that's 8:5.

Last 4:3 apple laptops were the 12" PowerBook and iBooks.
>>
>>53733990
>slower
>runs hotter

lel
>>
>>53729503
I used one of those macbook at work and that thing would idle at 100* just sitting in osx. Those fuckers could double as a hot plate if you wanted to cook some food
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.