[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PC Components Producing More Heat Over Time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: GodDamnFurmark.jpg (149 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
GodDamnFurmark.jpg
149 KB, 1920x1080
Have any of you /g/entoomen ever experienced or heard of this before? My 2600k/GTX580 PC has always run a little warm, but never enough to significantly impact the temperature of the room, even under load. Over the past year, this has changed. Now, even under a light load the temperature of my room increases noticeably. According to the laws of thermodynamics, this isn't an issue with my CPU/GPU coolers themselves; the problem is the sheer amount of heat being generated, not how efficiently it is being pulled off the PC components.
>>
>>53728611
I forgot to mention that nothing else in the room or PC has changed.
>>
>>53728611
just clean your heatsinks, that will solve the problem.
>>
>>53728611
No I haven't.
But it's most likely your GPU if considering the max power consumption of components.
>>
>>53728702
Are you familiar with thermodynamics? Making the heat transfer more efficient won't reduce the heat being generated.

And to op, yes, time will make electronic components generate more heat and consume more power.
>>
Clean your shit.

If you let a laptop build up a lot of dust it will constantly pump out hot air. Clean it out and it'll only produce warm air while doing the same task.
>>
this is impossible due to the laws of physics being a thing
>>
It's called global warming
>>
File: 1453752026351.jpg (60 KB, 1201x768) Image search: [Google]
1453752026351.jpg
60 KB, 1201x768
>>53728752
>time will make electronic components generate more heat and consume more power
jesus take the wheel
>>
>>53728854

It's called thermal runaway, you fucking pleb. Clean the dust out and repaste.
>>
>>53728834
>Clean your shit.
Everything is very clean and dust-free. I've blown out the CPU cooler's radiator and the (reference) GPU's fan/heatsink with compressed air. Only thing I haven't done is replace the thermal paste on the 580.

>If you let a laptop build up a lot of dust it will constantly pump out hot air. Clean it out and it'll only produce warm air while doing the same task.

Why is that? It seems like the laws of thermodynamics (at least, as I understand them) would dictate that this wouldn't be the case, yet I *have* personally experienced this phenomenon on laptops.
>>
>>53728973
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_runaway#Digital_logic
>>
>>53728611
>>53728752
>>53728973

Why do you keep bringing up the laws of thermodynamics? Is this thread bait? It's a very basic understanding that if you do not dissipate the heat efficiently, the ambient temperature around the components will rise in turn cause a rise in chip temps again causing the rise in ambient temps. This happens back and forth until your PC fries or shuts down because it overheats. The laws of thermodynamics do not say that a CPU can only put out so much heat at a given rate. They get fucking hot dude.

Also, if not bait.

Clean coolers, replace paste, check fan operations.
>>
umm... this sounds like OP need to change the thermal paste on the CPU

You should be doing that every six months but as
>>53728957
said this is what it is.

Fact: CPU's burn though thermal paste every 6 months
>>
>>53728973
Because the heat generated is not constant. The temperature of the components makes a difference, as does age.
>>
>>53729008
>>53729033
That makes sense, thanks. Since my coolers are clean and all fans are working properly, I'll replace the thermal paste.

Sorry if this was a dumb question, I just hadn't encountered this before.
>>
>>53729043
That time period is not fixed.
>>
>>53729043
Not OP but source that thermal paste burns throw every 6 months? Don't give me "common sense" bullshit because common sense dictates that if my temps are rising then my paste is good + most people change every 1-2 years.
>>
>>53729043
I forgot to mention this is a sign your system is dying.

On a side note.
So is mine already in a simular way already i've lost some core systems on my PC dew to heat build uop and i've changed thermal paste dusted everything and its still heating up
MOBO is 30% hotter every year when i ditich this for Zen i'll be happy.

>>53729085
it isn't if you O.C you are correct.
O.C fags have to change it more frenquenly but i'm going by the book here buddy.
>>
Wash your heatsink under running water and use some Fairy.

Blowing air at it doesn't clean shit.
>>
>>53729085
>>53729109
> le home schooled morons

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/264803-29-change-thermal-compound
http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-often-should-i-replace-my-thermal-paste.178411/
http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f15/how-often-should-you-replace-thermal-paste-on-cpus-and-gpus-574681.html
http://www.overclock.net/t/1467814/when-should-you-reapply-thermal-paste-to-your-cpu

its called calulated estimate. austists go away.
>>
>>53729183
No, but it's comments like that that make people think that "6 months" is the ultimate time guide.
You autist.
>>
>>53729209
>HURR DURR DURR don't word it like that stop makeing people think your way.
R-Rude.
>>
>>53728611
its a new feature called "Dust"
You just need to clean your pc senpai.

and dont forget to take off your cpu fan from your heatsink and clean under there.
i literally took a mini carpet of dust out of there.
>>
>>53729315
hey i didnt wrote senpai there,censorship is real
>>
File: 1428396363661.png (2 MB, 3200x1269) Image search: [Google]
1428396363661.png
2 MB, 3200x1269
>haven't changed my thermal paste in 7 years
>>
>>53729523
I've never changed thermal paste in my whole life which includes over 20 years of owning PCs.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.