[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If Stallman is fundamentally against music as a service and also
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5
File: NO WORKO.png (354 KB, 373x588) Image search: [Google]
NO WORKO.png
354 KB, 373x588
If Stallman is fundamentally against music as a service and also opposes buying music digitally because of DRM and bad practices where does he get his music?
>>
Why don't you ask him?

He's not inaccessible. /g/ doesn't know everything about him.

why are people on /g/ so fucking incompetent?
>>
>>53728347
why was he crying in that video again?
>>
File: 1458761718985.png (127 KB, 300x280) Image search: [Google]
1458761718985.png
127 KB, 300x280
>>53728363
BRs told Stallman to just speak american
Retarded BR monkeys only speak spanish
They don't understand a word of stallman's ramblings
Halfway through the speech he loses his shit and goes full retard
BRs think it's some kind of joke and openly laugh at him
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcUQ7QHP_p0#t=15m5s
>>
>>53728363
He walked in and basically asked
>hey is everyone cool with English?
and, hearing no significant pushback, he got about 30 minutes into an hour-long lecture before someone was like "Hey could you give the rest of the talk in Spanish? That might be better than English since we haven't understood much of what you said"

so he absolutely melts down, crying about how he's fucking wasted the last 30 minutes, asking if the crowd would prefer English (in English) or Spanish (in Spanish) and everyone cheering to that. And he just can't handle it.
>>
>>53728391
worth mentioning as >>53728387 kind of pointed out that everyone there spoke Portuguese since it was in Brazil or something. So Spanish wasn't ideal, nor was English, but those were the languages he knew.

The Brazilians laughed - I imagine - in part because laughing lightens the tension and because his meltdown is actually funny for a minute or two before getting really truly depressing.
>>
>>53728347
buys them from the artist if he is allowed to.
The requirements is that it should be playable without proprietary software.
The purchase should be done in a anonymous way, such as with cash.
He has no "I must be able to change the song and profit from it" thing about art pieces.
But he should be able to copy it and listen to how he wants.

A streaming service is about the worst scenario.
You cannot control how the music is played.
You can't use free software to play it.
You can't copy it over to any device you have.
You can't do it anonymously as you need to connect to a server every time you want to listen to something.
>>
>>53728347
All music you buy in iTunes is DRM free, maybe that
>>
>>53728347

jesus fucking christ, you people are idiots. you realize in the old day people "got their music" by playing an instrument and singing with other people. it is possible for someone to enjoy music without a fucking piece of electronics
>>
>>53728347
Both OP and Stallman can get all the music you want that is licensed under Creative Commons. It's pretty much the GPL applied to all artistic endeavours and can be arbitrarily restrictive from a simple attribution requirement all the way to having attribution, no-commercial, no derivatives clauses. Pic related.

I don't recall seeing anyone ask Stallman about these, although the Free Software Foundation speaks highly of them in their website.

https://freemusicarchive.org/music/charts/this-month
>>
>>53728581
people also used horses instead of cars and sheep intestine instead of latex, what's your point
>>
>>53728387
I hope 3rd world countries are the first to get nuked in WW3
>>
Why not just download the music you want without permission?

Between Soulseek, random Blogspot pages and Rutracker it's almost all there anyway.
>>
>>53728347
CDs
>>
>>53731179
they're more likely to come out of it relatively unscathed actually. why would you send a nuke in the direction of brazil if all your threats are in the northern hemisphere?
>>
>>53731299
because RMS is trying to live his life as a testament to the viability of living according to freedumb. if he needed to pirate stuff or otherwise violate conventional copyright laws, then he'd be admitting that his paradigm isn't compatible with the rest of the world's.

(yes, i know it's nonsense, because GPL3 is deliberately incompatible with other licenses, but this is what autism looks like).
>>
>>53728387
i bet you're american. do you speak anything else besides english?
>>
>>53728347
There are almost no digital music stores that still have DRM on their songs. iTunes doesn't do it, Amazon mp3 doesn't do it and neither do Beatport, Juno etc.

He's just a cheap motherfucker that uses other people's phones instead of buying one for himself.
>>
>>53731179
>>
>>53728581
Haha oh wow
>>
[email protected]

He will respond to literally every email
>>
>>53731179
>>53731179
>nuke Brazil
>only cockroaches and ruins are left
>literally nothing has changed
>>
>>53734681

That would actually be an improvement, given our current political, economical and social situation.
>>
>>53733112
The problem isn't DRM only:

"I never pay for anything on the Web. Anything on the net that requires payment, I don't do. (I made an exception for the fees for the stallman.org domain, since that is connected with me anyway.) I also avoid paying with credit cards.

I would not mind paying for a copy of an e-book or music recording on the Internet if I could do so anonymously, and it were ethical in other ways (no DRM or EULA). But that option almost never exists. I keep looking for ways to make it exist."
>>
>>53728347
I tend to agree with him on this.

Streaming seems fine until you go someplace you don't have a connection. Or you stop paying for it and you're left with nothing. Or they pull some old stuff. I like to have what I paid for and keep it -- if I pay for some album, I should still have it even if the artist changed labels, some contract fell through, etc.

DRM just plain sucks. I don't want content I can only use on certain devices that support this certain DRM scheme. Format shifting to make it playable on whatever device I want is fair use.

There's usually a way to buy downloadable tracks without DRM. Or if the label is really objectionable, either avoid it altogether or pirate and then send money to the artist.
>>
>>53729987
here he's saying something about creative commons
https://stallman.org/articles/online-education.html
>>
From the local music store, in CD's
>>
>>53728581
I play the synth, so no. Acoustic pianos are gay.

Also OP I saw him at amoeba before. He only listens to music that is free of any copyright infringement. A lot of jazz
>>
I as a true believe in freedom only listen to music listened using CC.
http://ccmixter.org/
>>
>>53728577
So is Amazon and Google, for the most part, but I'll bet stallmanists hate those stores too.
>>
File: 1456092812643.jpg (8 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1456092812643.jpg
8 KB, 225x225
>>53728581
>>
>>53728347
buy optical media, rip to FLAC, transcode to ogg vorbis. that's what I do. not because of muh freedoms though, but because I like owning my music and giving just a tad bit more to the authors.
>>
>>53728347
>2016
>listening to music
>being programmed by celebrity egos
>engaging in petty cultural signaling
>>
>>53731636
no I don't speak anything other than American

silly yurocuck
>>
>>53736076
You're a better man than I.
>>
with his ears at free concerts.

get it?
frew concerts...
>>
does this retard just expect everyone to do their jobs for free? goddamn
>>
>>53728347
He compiles his own free open source music using libre compilers.

Do you even bytebeat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCRPUv8V22o
>>
>>53730078
>sheep intestine instead of latex
For what?
>>
>>53738568
Surgical gloves.
>>
There's no DRM in audio CD's cassette tapes or records kids.
>>
>>53728347
he just bangs his head against the desk and records it
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.