[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Upgrade or replace
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7
File: 295134.jpg (72 KB, 769x706) Image search: [Google]
295134.jpg
72 KB, 769x706
Bestow wisdom upon me, good sirs.

Do i buy a new motherboard and keep using my FX8350.

Or go all in and join the intel master race.
>>
File: WIN_20150403_0200561.jpg (98 KB, 805x715) Image search: [Google]
WIN_20150403_0200561.jpg
98 KB, 805x715
>>53727668
You hold my fate in your hands, my credit-card in the balance.

I await your judgement with much anticipation.
>>
Why do you want a new mobo
>>
5960x and x99 classified.
Do it faggot
>>
>>53728163
Because it died
>>
>>53728396
Ne, that would max my credit card... twice
>>
>>53727753
Post tits with a timestamp and your face as well as your paypal email and I will send you the money for a mobo and a i7-6700k
>>
>>53728505
Well she's sleeping naked about 6 feet away from me at the moment, i would wake her up but in 4chan i do not trust so thats not gonna happen.
>>
Just get a 4690k and an asrock z97 board then.
Oc to 4.7ghz ez
>>
>>53728612
Question:
Is the difference between a [email protected] and an i5-4460 big enough to be worth it?
>>
File: CPU_01-4.png (40 KB, 1299x878) Image search: [Google]
CPU_01-4.png
40 KB, 1299x878
>>53727668
Get a new motherboard.

You don't need to upgrade for a while since its performing so competitively still. 8 weak cores are still 8 cores Direct x12/vulkan is just going to bring your cpu performance back up where it belongs.
>>
>>53728718
You are the boring voice of reason. Even if i play alot of Total war and DayZ? Everytime i see one maxed out core and 2-4 parked cores, i die a little inside.
And will anything support vulkan anytime soon?
>>
>>53728748
Probably 2017?

But still, personally I wouldn't upgrade just yet. I'm on an fx8320 and it's served me well. I can see it lasting me 2-3 more years
>>
>>53728748
No.

Just buy an Intel CPU already so you don't have to deal with all this crap.
>>
Oh shit, you're back? Any nu pics you wanna share?

And I've got an 8320 and it still works great. Would maybe upgrade if I still played games, but I don't really. But you might.
>>
File: gigagrill.jpg (104 KB, 689x669) Image search: [Google]
gigagrill.jpg
104 KB, 689x669
>>53728820
>Any nu pics you wanna share
Maybe, someday.
>>
What are your current specs?
>>
>>53728555
If you're going with that bullshit, at least prove it like the last time. Else I'm calling it bullshit and you shouldn't be lying on the internet.
>>
>>53729222
I dont need to prove anything to you, go away.
>>
>>53727668
Wait for Zen and Polaris, what, have you been living under a rock?
>>
>>53731425
My computer is broken now, not whenever zen comes out.
>>
>>53727668
desu just buy a replacement am3+ board off ebay or craigslist for super cheap. the platform's been out so long that the used market is incredibly fat.

Also, a protip: whatever's wrong with your computer, it's actually probably not the motherboard, unless you literally see a blown cap or signs of scoring etc. on the PCB.
>>
File: amd.jpg (209 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
amd.jpg
209 KB, 720x1280
>>53727668

Upgrade for Intel, poo in the loo.
>>
>>53731702
>it's actually probably not the motherboard
>Fails with an other cpu
>Fails with different ram
>Power supply doesnt crash my girlie's rig
>Nor does the ram
>HDDs which behaved strangely (10000ms response time, 100% active time) now work perfectly

Pretty sure its the mobo.
>>
>>53731476
Then buy an Intel haswel Pentium dual core 2nd hand and wait for Zen. Alternatively go without a computer for 6 months. I've been going without one since September and I survived.
>>
>>53731385
But you did already, by posting the same photos everyone already has.
What do you gain by pretending poorly to be someone you're not? Let alone the opposite gender.
>>
>>53731794
If you actually tested each of of these scenarios rigorously, which almost no one ever does, then I'd say that's a pretty good indication it is the mobo. But I don't know what you mean by "fails" and I don't know whether you actually performed each of these tests rigorously, so yeah I'm gonna say it's still probably not the motherboard.

Also, did you try setting BIOS to default settings?
>>
File: IMG_0753.jpg (377 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0753.jpg
377 KB, 1280x960
>>53732205
You dont have any from the halloween set, do you? Let it go.

>>53731864
I very much doubt zen will be the god-chip everyone thinks it will be so im not gonna wait for it like its the 2nd coming.

>>53732294
Of course i reset the settings. The power supply and ram are in use in the remaining rig i have been for a few days, no quite sure what i can to do more rigorously test the CPUs, one fails in this rig and not in an other. By fail i mean either wont boot at all or crash within an hour without any noticeable pattern, also when it happens i cant turn off the computer by holding the power button. Pretty sure its the motherboard.
>>
>>53732413
Put everything back together the way it was when you first started noticing the problem, then (and I swear to god I'm not kidding here), perform the following steps:

1. Move the PC physically to a new location, preferably not on any surface which is capable of holding a significant static charge.

2. Replace the CMOS battery just because.

3. Instead of running the OS off the hard drive you have installed, run a linux liveCD off a USB stick for several hours, preferably performing some kind of stress test in the meantime like prime95 or geekbench or whatever you can get running in linux.

The fact that the problem is not CONSTANT or reproducible 100% of the time does not point to a motherboard hardware failure.

I have had many failures in machines like this. One was solved by moving the PC to a different location because static was building up on a nearby leather couch during a dry winter and causing interference with the machine. Another was due to a flaky CMOS that kept only partially saving changes and not properly clearing changes due to a bad battery. The rest were due to either weird software issues or actual motherboard problems, usually with shitty damaged motherboards where physical damage (blown caps, leaking caps, etc) were evident.
>>
File: edfdbkqitsjyl7jeia28.gif (1 MB, 700x439) Image search: [Google]
edfdbkqitsjyl7jeia28.gif
1 MB, 700x439
>>53732532
>Replace the CMOS battery just because.
Did that too.

>static
>static
>static
Seems... unlikely. Will try but i dont have much faith. Arent cases grounded? Wouldnt that solve any kind of static electricity issue?
>>
>>53732679
yes, theoretically, cases are grounds for the mobo and thus static should not be an issue. However, I can also verify that in my particular situation, static was in fact the issue.

See if your situation is at all similar to mine:

>Cooler Master 361 Case - SECC steel, plastic front - stood vertically in enclosed, carpet-floored space next to heat vent, near leather couch.
>Wintertime, high static electricity in room due to warm, dry air, carpet, and leather furniture
>warm, dry air flowing from nearby heating vent over computer
>random lockups and shutdowns, sometimes resulting in failure to boot
>slight static shock every time I touch the PC to turn it off, despite all internal components being securely and completely bolted to the case and the case being closed
>crucially, power cable lacked a ground
>replace every component other than mobo and CPU in computer and still nothing seems to change the situation
>finally, frustrated, move the PC to new location further from heat vent and leather couch, same grounding situation otherwise
>magically works ever since then

When summer comes and it gets humid, I'm going to put it back behind the couch and see whether something else caused it, but right now it seems pretty evident static was to blame.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.