[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is emacs a meme? discuss. nah, I actually came here to ask what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 800px-Emacs_Dired_buffers.png (389 KB, 800x604) Image search: [Google]
800px-Emacs_Dired_buffers.png
389 KB, 800x604
is emacs a meme? discuss.

nah, I actually came here to ask what my options are for learning Scheme that don't involve me touching emacs. I spent several minutes going through the tutorial for MIT/GNU Scheme's version of emacs, Edwin, and quickly concluded that it was not for me.
>>
I went through tutorials for both emacs and vi.

They teach you to do most basic tasks using most cumbersome ways, and then the tutorial ends, wishing you luck.

People suggesting emacs and vi are so disconnected from reality it hurts just thinking about it.
>>
>>53727033
I hate vi... so complicated. emacs got me through computer my coding classes.
>>
>>53727120
If you don't like vi you don't like i3.
>>
I heard about vi and emacs and decided to try vi first. I was so blown away at how perfect it was for me that I didn't even try emacs. 5 years later, I opened up emacs out of curiosity and noped the fuck out.
>>
When I tried emacs I didn't find much wrong with it. Ultimately I ended up sticking with vim because of vim's better code folding. Also the vi movements are trained into muscle memory for me so that made emacs annoying to use even with vile.
>>
>>53727151
i3 is babymode when it comes to WMs

vim is great, just force yourself to use it for a week or so and then you'll be able to exploit its power
>>
File: ss1.png (200 KB, 1380x718) Image search: [Google]
ss1.png
200 KB, 1380x718
Emacs is pretty awesome when you use Spacemacs. Not my image.
>>
>>53727082
you're clueless
>>
>>53727579
compelling
>>
>>53727572

This.
>>
>>53727033
tl;dr You're going to have to use Emacs with Geiser.

Unless for whatever reason you actually would prefer MIT Scheme over Racket, Chicken, or Guile, you're going to have to use Emacs because there's shit support for Scheme using Vim. If you really, really, really want to use Vim then you're going to be forced to use MIT Scheme and slimv (SLIME for Vim) but I don't know why you'd shackle yourself to one Scheme implementation just so you don't have to use Emacs. I really wanted to use Vim for writing Lisp as well but the support is just not there, man.
>>
>>53727508
>i3 is babbymode
How is a WM babbymode?
More (or less) importantly, what isn't a babbymode WM?
>>
>>53727033
I always used hated using emacs until I did the emacs tutorial at http://braveclojure.com
got me started enough in emacs to at least use it as a daily editor and he includes a decent emacs config

honestly his emacs tutorial is better then the rest of his book.
Not saying his book isn't good or didn't get me started with Clojure
he is just very whimsical in how he teaches a lot of the stuff.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.