[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just got Galaxy S2 and I have a few questions: - it was imported
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: ATT-Galaxy-S-II-061-575x5582112.png (467 KB, 575x558) Image search: [Google]
ATT-Galaxy-S-II-061-575x5582112.png
467 KB, 575x558
I just got Galaxy S2 and I have a few questions:

- it was imported from Singapore, so the 7th and 8th digit of the IMEI are "04" (made in China). Will that affect ricing in any way?

- I want to try some of the popular ROMs and shit. Should I upgrade from 2.3.4 to 4.0.4 first or is that irrelevant?

- I found a few sound clips of chinks speaking chink in the phone's memory. Is that suspicious or does that mean they were just testing it before shipping?
>>
In order:
No
Irrelevant
Welcome to Chinese botnet.

>any more assistance will require a timestamped picture of sharpie in the ass
>>
>>53724802
>I found a few sound clips of chinks speaking chink in the phone's memory. Is that suspicious or does that mean they were just testing it before shipping?

wada fug
>>
File: 1382630055189.gif (220 KB, 280x199) Image search: [Google]
1382630055189.gif
220 KB, 280x199
>I just got a galaxy S2

Why? There are much better phones in that price range.
>>
OP you should have gotten the Galaxy S3. It's fucking sweet. Don't discount it.
It's the fastest phone on the market right now according to most benchmarks. It's got a full gigabyte of ram and a 1.5ghz dual core. If you do like I did and get in on a grandfathered unlimited plan, I am paying about $85 a month (after taxes and fees) for 400 minutes, 200 SMS/MMS and unlimited data.
>>
>>53725204
$85 for 400 minutes & 200 SMS? Are you serious? Is that standard in the US?

You guys are getting absolutely fucked. My plan in the UK is £25 (around $35-40) a month for unlimited data, 2000 SMS, and 5000 minutes. Phone was free and pretty up to date when I got it (HTC Sensation XL) and on a 18 month contract. Negotiated the deal for that, but available for £35 pm without the negotiation if I hadn't.

How the actual fuck can you be getting charged this amount?
>>
>>53724802
Just see if it is the g-version or not. If it's i9100g then you're pretty much fucked.
>>
>>53725274
Yeah, that's normal.

After a lot of research, it looks like you've just got a lot more competition. We can't get MicroSIM-only without a contract; we have to cut regular SIM cards to size. It's a bitch.

I'm another first-time smartphone buyer trying to choose between S3, S2 and Nexus. A few more questions:

Will Galaxy Nexus get Key Lime Pie and/or future Android updates? (Assuming S3 will)

I'm leaning towards the Nexus, but will I regret skipping out on some ridiculously useful feature on the S3? I'm not tech savvy by any means, but I like the idea of not being fucked (on price) for TouchWiz and bloatware. Is there anything I just *shouldn't live without*?

Do they both have a smooth GPS? Is Gaggle going to tell the world where/who I am without my knowing? Is the Nexus phone that bad? Helllppp
>>
>>53725165

Because I don't want to spend a whole lot of money on something like this and that model is good enough for me.

>>53725298

It's GT-I9100. Is that OK?
>>
>>53725664
Its a great phone, I modded mine for years, I finally got tired of the modding scene and went and got a nexus 5 and boy that was a mistake 1.5 years later it couldnt hold a charge for more than 7 hours, bought an LG v10 replaceable batteries are a must. GT-I9100 is Samsung's last good phone before gimmics.
>>
Go with dirty unicorns rom:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s2/development-derivatives/rom-dirtyunicorns-v9-3-unofficial-builds-t3111998
>>
>>53725274

Every time this comes up I'm told "well obviously you're paying that much more. The US is <xx> times the size of the UK. It costs a hell of a lot more to build and maintain that much infrastructure."
>>
>>53724802
root and find a rom you kike
>>
>>53725204
>>53725274
>>53725446
What year is this?
>>
>>53727670
>>
nexus owner here

>>53725446

>Do they both have a smooth GPS?

the gps is accurate and updates well, if that's what you mean. I have a map app that overlays it on a flight sectional for flying navigation. it will be the same either way.

>Is Gaggle going to tell the world where/who I am without my knowing?

yes.

>Is the Nexus [camera] that bad?

it's average.

if you get it over the S3 it's because it's cheap and has great android support / experience etc. hardware is not as cutting edge, but you don't get fucked in the ass by tmobile or w/e.
>>
File: afd6f588a639367b315e2924acf1.jpg (3 MB, 4928x3264) Image search: [Google]
afd6f588a639367b315e2924acf1.jpg
3 MB, 4928x3264
I just got an HTC Evo 4G LTE on sprint, it was this or a galaxy S3, but I didn't like the menu system of the galaxy and it was all plastic, felt cheap as fuck.
>>
>>53724802
The Galaxy S3 16gb is $199. Why would you want an old smartphone when you can have a new one?
>>
It's a great phone, never deserted by devs. I believe it already has a android N port for it at XDA, but I would only use it as my second phone
>>
>>53725808
Terrible audio though, compared to both the S1 and the S3.

>>53724802
>- I want to try some of the popular ROMs and shit. Should I upgrade from 2.3.4 to 4.0.4 first or is that irrelevant?

Usually a good idea to upgrade first.
>>
>>53724802
I have an s2 its decent but you should have gotten a Korean lg g2
>>
>>53724802
The sound files will most likely be caused by the testing, which happens with every phone. They apparently failed to delete them.

You should try installing CyanogenMod 13 on it. Has been released for the S2 about a month ago or two and basically gives you android 6.
>>
Am I being trolled? What the fuck? Why would you buy a Galaxy S2?

Why not a Moto G or something if you want a decent cheap ass phone?

Seriously, I'm not trying to make you feel stupid or something, I'm genuinely curious why the fuck you would buy an S2?
>>
>>53731110
he probably got it for like 50, i got an s3 for 70 euros
>>
You should've bought an S3, the DAC in the S2 sucks ass.
>>
>>53731110
I was about to buy an S2 two months ago, but I bought an Xperia L instead - they are both in the same price range and about the same size.

I'm glad I did. The camera's top notch for the price, the design is nice and there's CM 13 in the works if that's your thing.

So anyway OP, yeah, update first because the roms will require newer firmware because certain features like wifi might not work properly.
>>
>>53724802
Used to own the G variant with the Texas Instrument processor...
I think it's a bit late to buy an S2 because almost every app out there is slowly but surely turning to bloatware...
You'll have a serious problem with RAM usage.

Start by rooting it then put a custom recovery, then flash a zip.
Just make sure what model you have before you flash anything g9100X.
I think the X is the only thing you should worry about.
it's overly a good phone, but man it'll lag like shit because of RAM.
>>
>>53725931
its BS and I'll tell you why, I live in Canada yet only pay $20 for unlimited texting, calling and 1GB data, $40 if I use 5GB of that data and $10 a gb past that, all this from a larger country with significantly fewer people.
>>
>>53725808
You can replace the battery on nexus 5, its just harder to do so
>>
This thread is funny, my friend who's a chick just bought an s2 instead of an s3 because "its $20 cheaper"
>>
>>53724802
Wow, this takes me back.

No need to update to 4.0.4.

Download Triangleaway from XDA for free.

Buy Mobile Odin from the app store.

CM13 is available for the S2.

Don't be afraid to tinker. The S2 is a nice phone with a decent community. The only drawback is the Exynos processor. Locked libs means broken ROMs.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.