[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I've got a little experience fixing peoples phones, computers,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: soldering-circuit-board.jpg (33 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
soldering-circuit-board.jpg
33 KB, 400x300
So I've got a little experience fixing peoples phones, computers, radios and things like that. Mostly swapping out parts. But I really want to into hardware repair and just general tinkering. Can anyone recommend any good sites or just good ways to learn how to repair circuit boards. Laptops and cell phones are what interest me most. Good guides on how to diagnose problems if that aren't immediately obvious are the hardest to find. Also I was looking to get a new soldering iron since I see this being something I'll be studying for a while and my old one isn't very good, could someone recommend a quality soldering iron or soldering kit?
>>
Shameless bump.

Come on, can someone just point me in the right direction? Im not asking to be spoonfed the info, just a little help. I've asked this like a hundred times across different forums and I've seriously tried looking up my own ways to learn and everything I come up with is just how to replace iPhone screens and shit.
>>
>>53723564
Why not ask some specific questions?
>>
>>53723708

Good point.

So let's say some guy ces in with a laptop. He says it just suddenly went out, and doesn't say anything to indicate an obvious problem like whirring or clicking. The shit just doesn't work according to him. I open it up, and everything looks perfectly fine to my relatively untrained eyes. No water marks, excessive dust, burn marks nothing really loose. How would I test if each individual part is working to find the problem. I have a multimeter, but no idea how to apply its use to a board if that'd be a good solution.
>>
>>53723795
You should start by charging it, then turning it on.
>>
Gentoo has pretty good documentation.
>>
>>53723448

These playlists should get you started. Old as all hell but still relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL926EC0F1F93C1837
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL958FF32927823D12
>>
>>53723809

Shitposting or am I missing something?

Like in this hypothetical there is simply no response whatsoever, that isn't an option. How do I find out where in the chain exactly a problem would be?
>>
>>53723795
Well, with most modern meters, you could switch the red cable to 10A input and switch the function to read DC current. Put the two leads of the meter inline with one leg of the power supply and measure the current draw to see if it is within spec. Probably more useful to find some stress software and see if you can make it break by pushing it harder and causing more heat to be dissipated by the CPU, power supply, etc.

As for general electronics, first learn ohms law and the relationships for power (some DC theory), then move to AC theory. Capacitive and inductive reactance, etc. Or just go straight to trying to understand electromagnetics. I don't anything opened my eyes more than studying finite difference time domain simulations for understanding how EM waves propagate through real materials. You can start to see how bit of copper and pcb dieletric are the same stuff as traditional components as you get into RF frequencies. Learn how about diode junctions. You can check them with your meter. Learn to identify various parts and how to measure them with your test equipment.

One good starting point for things might be EEVblog on youtube.
>>
>>53723932
I'm not going to lie here, what you just said was way over my head. But I screenshotted and I'll look up those parts I didn't understand later. Thank you very much.
>>
Last thing, and again, thanks everyone.

Any recommendations for a soldering iron or kit? I can find that on my own, I just thought someone from here would have a good one.
>>
>>53724163
A pretty good one for starting out...
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11704

I also recommend using water-soluble flux pen and solder. If you do, then you have to wash it off in the sink when you are done. Use warm water and a paint brush to get it off. You can then use a warm room or oven on lowest setting to dry .... or probably even a hair dryer or something.
>>
>>53724163

Buy once cry once.

Go with a Weller WD1001. It makes doing Microsoldering much easier, as the distance between the tip and the handle are much shorter, allowing much more dexterity doing these repairs. Dexterity is key.

Also invest in a hot air rework station. Paired with a soldering iron there won't be much you can't fix.
>>
>>53723795
It's always the video chip, into the trash it goes.
>>
>>53723448
25w antex soldering iron

read babani electronics books. they're small and written for hobbyists
>>
>>53724163
And always try to look at standards. This documents can tell you whatsabout anything.
>>
>>53723864
>provide reliable power to machine
>turn on machine
>observe malfunction
>if obvious, move to repair/replace parts
>if not obvious, use known parts to temporarily replace possible malfunctioning parts. do one by one, seeing if the issue is resolved.
note this very basic guide only applies to hardware problems. many issues could also stem from software settings
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.