[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does /g/ have any experience/tips on replacing laptop battery cells?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 6cell+8cell98601.png (414 KB, 700x302) Image search: [Google]
6cell+8cell98601.png
414 KB, 700x302
Does /g/ have any experience/tips on replacing laptop battery cells?
>>
A waste now that replacement batteries are dirt cheap.
>>
Be very careful I managed to short one out. It shock my hand which hurt a lot, not the worst pain I've ever had but I don't want to feel it again. Then it continued to short and the battery blew.

That was some years ago so battery safety should have come on since then.
>>
what >>53721346 said.
Spend $50 or whatever.
The problem with just replacing the cells is you would have to buy a set of 6 relatively well matched cells, and (here is the major kick in the pants) solder them all together. You might say "oh, I can do that"
But it's very hard. The batteries are very sensitive to heat, and often use aluminum weld tabs. It's really hard to solder if you've never done it.
>>
doing it for thinkpad batteries, even as far back as the t40, is probably out of the question as it's far more hassle than it's worth

the circuit board has a fuse that blows if it loses power from the cells, once the fuse blows it flips a setting in a ti battery charging chip which means you need a reprogrammer (far more expensive than a replacement battery or a few) to reset the chip before the circuit board is usable again

the problem? the fuse blows if the circuit loses power from the cells, meaning you have to replace the cells in parallel (I *think) and then remove the old cells

other than that, replacing cells in batteries is fine if you can get tabs spot welded to them or are confident in your soldering skills and don't have a shitty soldering iron (even a $25 chink soldering station will do, anything but plug in wall soldering stations)
>>
>>53721502
>anything but plug in wall soldering stations

plug in wall soldering irons*

obviously I wouldn't recommend trying unless you have decent soldering skills anyway, and as others mention you need several new (typically 18650 batteries) cells with similar mah capacity to the old ones (depending on the battery model, but almost always they should be very close)
>>
>>53721293
Just buy an replacement from Anker.
They're only marginally more expensive than the rest on the market, and they have better capacity and lifespan.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.