[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>AMDcucks BTFO! Well, seriously this is pretty worrying development.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5
File: rotr.jpg (62 KB, 741x566) Image search: [Google]
rotr.jpg
62 KB, 741x566
>AMDcucks BTFO!

Well, seriously this is pretty worrying development. Seems like DX12 rendering paths are very hardware specific and if the developer doesn't bother to properly optimize paths for both AMD and NVIDIA then only owners of one vendors card get to really enjoy the game.

The catch with DX12 is that the developers are required to do optimizations which previously were driver level in DX11. This means that if one game heavily favours AMD or NVIDIA the other can't even use drivers to catch up.

Another game that performs absolutely abysmally on other vendor and fine on other is Hitman, 380X beats GTX970 easily in that title.

PC gaming is pretty much doomed if we get lots of AAA titles that run like crap even on high end cards if you happen to have one from "wrong" vendor.
>>
>PC gaming is doomed
>caring about AAA titles

Good
>>
GET FUCKED U GAY NVIDIOT FAG AMD IS THE ONLY ONES THAT GIVE A SHIT ABOUT THE CUSTOMER ANYMORE AND NVIDIFAG JUST BUYS OUT ANYTHING GOOD TO RUN LIKE SHIT ON THE FANTASTIC HARDWARE AMD MAKES FOR US THAT WOULD WRECK THE FUCK OUT OF NVIDICUNT HARDWARE THE SAME WAY I WRECK UR MOMS PUSSY GO GET FUCKED U SHILLING BITCH ASS FAGGET AMD IS GONNA OUT INNOVATE NVIDITOOL EVENTUALLY TO THE POINT WHERE EVEN IF THEY SUCK EVERY DEVELOPERS DICK EVERY DAY LIKE UR MOM SUCKS MINE THEY ARENT GONNA RUN BETTER THEN AMDS BETTER HARDWARE
>>
I use AMD because I can use the free drivers and be able to game on Linux. The only problem are the games that are only released for nvidia, makes me mad.
>>
>>53721129
Actually, it's easy.
980 Ti > R9 Fury X
Hitman / Ashes uses async compute, Tomb Raider doesn't (as much).
>>
>Tomb Raider

>DX12 benchmarks worse than DX11
This image just states that the overheads of porting a DX11 game directly into DX12 cause a loss in performance.
The game isn't actually running DX12, it's just using DX12 to run DX11.
>>
>>53721252
Isn't that just because the free drivers are limited to GL 4.1?
It's still nice having free drivers that are actually fast, because you get KMS, Wayland, proper vsync (even better than windows) and Gallium Nine.
Also they are open source which is always nice.
>>
>>53721305
I just assumed it was because they were lazy. It's the same company who ports all of the games that only work with nvidia. In house ports always work on AMD.
>>
>>53721129
>980ti
>1080
>>
>>53721305
Yep, thing is Mesa is now literally weeks away from being able to run those games There's patches on the ML for every remaining feature except for robust buffer access. So as soon as those patches are merged you should be able to run any of the games on Steam by faking the GL version.

We just need AMD to shift GCN 1.0 support into the open drivers, and then see if its possible to remove the closed source GL so you can use AMDGPU + Mesa + AMD Vulkan.
>>
>>53721305
I bought a 380X because GCN1.2 and AMDGPU.
I'm hoping that the open source model can speed up the driver development.
Regardless, it's a great GPU for VGApassthrough as it comsumes less power than a 140mm case fan when idle.
>>
File: nvidia-vs-amd-vulkan.png (33 KB, 600x1111) Image search: [Google]
nvidia-vs-amd-vulkan.png
33 KB, 600x1111
>>53721385
How's the performance? Particularly have you tried out Talos Principle with Vulkan yet? Phoronix's benchmarks showed the 285 being strangely slow.
>>
>>53721268

It has new graphics effects like Voxel Based Ambient Occlusion in DX12 mode.
>>
>>53721436
I haven't really experimented with it.
It's not the greatest card ever, but I got it for the price of a 380 2GB so good value.
That benchmark also shows an R9 290 being worse than a GTX 960, so I think it's more of an optimization than anything else
>>
>>53721491
Even worse. It's just DX11 with a couple DX12 features slapped on.
The engine needs to be recoded for DX12 for it to be a meaningful benchmark.
>>
>>53721500
>That benchmark also shows an R9 290 being worse than a GTX 960
Unfortunately that's been a normal thing with AMD hardware in Linux benchmarks. This one is actually somewhat unusual in that the AMD hardware isn't all below the 950 in the chart.

Yeah, AMD did just release the Vulkan beta driver. But I kind of expected more out of the 285 since its that hardware that they were supposedly focused on. But the Fury gets +30fps, and the 290 gets +20, but the 285 where you'd expect the most benefit its only +5
>>
File: mpv-shot0011.png (432 KB, 873x579) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0011.png
432 KB, 873x579
>>53721129
>game devs switch to Vulkan
>dx12 becomes an afterthought
>nothing of value is lost
>>
>>53721129
>nvidia sponsored game
>worse performance for everyone
who would have thought
>>
>>53721129
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhht
>>
>>53721375
Fuck, that would be glorious
>>
>>53721129
all because amd didn't want to pay for good driver developers. thanks amd, you managed to fuck us all.
>>
>>53721436
this should be no surprise since amd has always sucked hard at opengl. of course they'll suck at vulkan. shit, they even suck at dx11. seems the only thing they don't suck in is mantle and a few dx12 games.
>>
File: 1457723238836.png (134 KB, 625x1049) Image search: [Google]
1457723238836.png
134 KB, 625x1049
>meanwhile, at I/O Interactive...
>>
>>53721129
1-3 more FPS, damn, DX 12 is so worth it.
>>
>>53721129
>1080p

Fuck off nvidcuck with your movie resolution.
>>
>>53721129

What the fuck do you expect from an Nvidia sponsored title?
>>
>>53724947

Superior AMD performance if this thread is anything to go by.
>>
>>53724347
>4fps difference between a $350 390x and a $650 fury x
>>
*slow claps*
*steps out of the shadows*
Heh... not bad, kid. Not bad at all. Your meme, I mean. It's not bad. A good first attempt. It's plenty dank... I can tell it's got some thought behind it... lots of quotable material...
But memeing isn't all sunshine and rainbows, kid. You're skilled... that much I can tell. But do you have what it takes to be a Memester? To join those esteemed meme ranks?
Memeing takes talent, that much is true. But more than that it takes heart. The world-class Memesters - they're out there day and night, burning the midnight meme-oil, working tirelessly to craft that next big meme.
And you know what, kid? Ninety-nine point nine times out of a one hundred, that new meme fails. Someone dismisses it as bait, or says it's "tryhard," or ignores it as they copy/paste the latest shitpost copypasta dreamt up by those sorry excuses for cut-rate memers over at reddit. The Meme Game is rough, kid, and I don't just mean the one you just lost :^). It's a rough business, and for every artisan meme you craft in your meme bakery, some cocksucker at 9gag has a picture of a duck or some shit that a million different Johnny No-Names will attach a milion different captions to.
Chin up, kid. Don't get all mopey on me. You've got skill. You've got talent. You just need to show your drive.

See you on the boards....
>>
>>53725063

Hawaii is proving to be the go-to architecture. For whatever reason fiji is scaling like shit.
>>
Why is gaming and graphics in particular going down the shitter?
Why are they basically turning PCs into consoles?

I thought things like DirectX were supposed to prevent segregation by hardware vendor, not enforce it.
>>
>>53721129
This is just like the early days of DX10/11 where they would add some fancy fire effect if you switched it on in the options.

It's not actually a DX12 game from the ground up.
>>
>>53724290
You realize that Vulkan and Mantle are the same thing, right?
>>
New cards built with the final DX12 spec in mind will come out and fix everything.
>>
>>53725240
Its up to the hardware vendor to implement the standard, not the software developer. AMD just got on the DX12 train earlier than nVidia.
>>
>>53721491
VXAO is DX11 only.
>>
>>53721129
>TL;DR version
>Both can be BTFO depending on what game it is.
The only time AMD is BTFO is against Intel CPU, with GPU it's a see-saw effect on who's on top.
>>
>DX12
>negative improvements on all GPU brand/model

Nice going nvidia
>>
>>53727734
>Hurr I didn't read the thread.
>>
>>53721209
This is the definition of autism.
>>
>>53721209
Using U as the word YOU. EVER!!!

Did you ever get schooling or did you retire to being a inbred retard.

Tell your sister that getting preggers from her bro will create a fucked up kid.
>>
DX12 has multiple features and async-compute is an optional one.

if DX12 is running slower on both nvidia and AMD then the implementation is shit and the devs are retarded

the Oxide engine was built from scratch in DX12 by COMPETENT game devs and they only added async compute as an afterthough AMD never even asked them to they just though "hey lets see what this does" and it turned out to jump FPS on AMD cards like the fury and 390X by 20% and they were all like "holy fucking shit!"

Honestly these retard fucks are just adding DX12 compatibility to DX11 games so that they can use the DX12 as a marketing gimmick.

doesnt matter to them if it runs like shit so long as they can plaster NEXT GEN DX12 GAME everywhere.
>>
>>53728153
>On the other hand, it’s quite surprising to read that even AMD cards merely got a 5-10% performance boost, especially after AMD endorsed HITMAN’s implementation as the best one yet. Async Compute, which has been used for SSAA (Screen Space Anti Aliasing), SSAO (Screen Space Ambient Occlusion) and the calculation of light tiles in HITMAN, was also “super hard” to tune; according to IO Interactive, too much Async work can even make it a penalty, and then there’s also the fact that PC has lots of different configurations that need tuning.

Even in Ashes of the Singularity, which has been the center of the whole DirectX 12 & Async Compute talk for quite a few months, developers have confirmed that Async Compute is a modest performance increase compared to others in their game.

Saying that Multi-Engine (aka Async Compute) is the root of performance increases on Ashes between DX11 to DX12 on AMD is definitely not true. Most of the performance gains in AMDs case are due to CPU driver head reductions. Async is a modest perf increase relative to that. Weirdly, though there is a marketing deal on Ashes with AMD, they never did ask us to use async compute. Since it was part of D3D12, we just decided to give it a whirl.
>>
>>53721209
>>53721252
>>53724290
AMD fags on suicide watch
>>
File: 1456681584195.png (223 KB, 644x580) Image search: [Google]
1456681584195.png
223 KB, 644x580
>>53721129
Rise of the Tomb Raider's DX12 implementation is badly tacked on port hence the FPS regression on all cards.
>>
>>53721129
Nvidia paid them to remove the async compute support from their game before they released it on PC.
It uses async compute on the Xbone, but they got paid by Nvidia to cripple their game on PC for AMD and to not optimize for AMD at all until after release.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.