[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you didn't learn basic mathematical optimization in your
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: IP_polytope_with_LP_relaxation.png (15 KB, 844x699) Image search: [Google]
IP_polytope_with_LP_relaxation.png
15 KB, 844x699
If you didn't learn basic mathematical optimization in your CS degree, was it a code monkey degree?
>>
I watched the Revision 2016 showdowns.

>tfw jelly
>>
>>53720546
>If you didn't learn basic mathematical optimization in your CS degree, was it a code monkey degree?
it's because I learned advanced mathematical optimization fucking loser :^)
>>
>>53720546
Not necessarily, optimization is a fairly likely "school specialization" for a legitimate CS degree, but other legitimate programs might have other specializations.
>>
Why when the compiler optimizes for me?
>>
>>53720986
Murrikan education, everybody!
>>
>>53720998
he's right though
>>
>>53720986
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_optimization
>>
>>53721004
>he
>>
>>53720986
>>53721004

And this shit is why a modern fucking IDE takes 4GB of RAM and can't keep up with a medium speed human typist.
>>
>>53721243
>2016
>not using vim
>>
>>53720546

No, because it's a fairly niche topic. You'd probably get it as a choice in 3rd/4th year among other things.
>>
>>53721831
At my school it was a mandatory part o the curriculum.
>>
>>53721868
you went to a shit school then
>>
>>53721868
LP is a part of most standard curriculums, but ILP is fairly niche since most NP complete problems have better solutions than to convert to ILP.
>>
>>53721868

As a dedicated course? We covered basic LP as >>53721928 said, and some of its uses in stuff like approximation algorithms via LP rounding, but it was only a part of a course, not a dedicated one. It was listed in one of the specializations we could do.
>>
>>53721997
Yes, as a dedicated course.
>>53721928
nobody cares because you can use stochastic methods such as randomizing the order of rows to reach an average case performance in expectation, and worst-case scenarios almost never happen in real life - standard ILP solving solutions are optimal and there's nothing faster.
>>
>>53722259

Weird. We did have multiple (well, 2, at least for undergrad) dedicated mathematical optimization courses, but they were all things you could take as CS-electives in your last 2 years.
>>
>>53722296
As I mentioned earlier, it's a "specialization" of my school. Most schools put some SE, stat or AI-related course instead, but I know my school isn't the only one which does optimization.
>>
>>53722836

You said it was mandatory, not as a specialization. I assumed it was mandatory for all CS degrees, not just in an Operations Research/whatever specialization of CS.
>>
>>53722916
It is a mandatory course in any CS curriculum in my school, because it is a specialization of my school v.s. the world.

You should be able to solve this.
>>
File: nyI1BaU.gif (3 MB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
nyI1BaU.gif
3 MB, 300x168
CS major here that's taking calc 3 currently even though it is not a degree requirement.
It's currently ripping my asshole apart. Is it really necessary for CS careers?
>>
>>53723305
Yes. For graphics and AI.
>>
>>53723313
How about cybersecurity?
>>
>>53723305
What the fuck, calc 3 was literally by far the easiest of the 3.
>>
>>53723366
4u
>>
>>53723366
>>>53723305
>What the fuck, calc 3 was literally by far the easiest of the 3.
>>53723366
>taking first 3 calculus
>thinks he's done
>forgot about 4
>>
>>53723439
>calc 4
>exist
Which kind of shithole are you from?
>>
>>53723366

What did you do in calc 3? Did you cover divergence, surface integrals, etc? Or just multiple differentiation and multiple integrals? I've seen some calc 3's that don't cover anything beyond multiple integration (so no line/surface integrals or anything that uses it), and I've even seen some pieces of shit that split it up into calc3/4 and have 3 be differentiation and 4 be integration...
>>
>>53723339
not really
>>
>>53723588
vector fields, vector flow, divergence, surface and line integrals, differential equation solving, parametrized curves/surfaces and their integrals, green-riemann, stokes, etc. multiple diff/integr started in calc 2.
>>
>>53723680
So when are you going to use any of that?
>>
>>53723680
>multiple diff/integr started in calc 2.

Oh, that's probably why. We didn't do that until calc 3 so calc 3 suffers from having to cover a lot in one course, so people tended to do badly in it, whereas we'd have less to do in calc 2. So you were doing triple integrals/spherical coords/etc in calc 2?
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.