[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What will happen when Stallman is Gone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: Faceslam.gif (1020 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
Faceslam.gif
1020 KB, 500x373
What will happen /g/, when Stallman is on his dying bed hooked up to proprietary hardware and software will it be the end for the fight for freedom as we know it? There's no better icon for the Open source community than RMS, will it die with him?
>>
I am ready to take his place.
>>
File: 1457741845663-g.png (266 KB, 514x646) Image search: [Google]
1457741845663-g.png
266 KB, 514x646
>>53719758
>open source
>>
File: 1457741909899-g.jpg (505 KB, 1280x2050) Image search: [Google]
1457741909899-g.jpg
505 KB, 1280x2050
>>53719758
>open source
You do realize that rms despises open source do you
>>
>>53719865
>>53719889
Looks like I've fucked up.
>>
>>53719758
>There's no better icon for the Open source community than RMS
>Open source
I love it. RMS dedicated his life to preaching a message which even his self-professed followers fail to understand. Say what you want about Stallman but the free software movement is already dead. Neckbeard autists developing software in their free time can't continue to compete with corporations. Companies will continue to ramp up the spying, and normies will continue not giving a fuck about what that fat, toenail-eating autist says as long as their Facebook apps continue to work.
>>
There's absolutely no one that I've known of that went as far to make sure he's free from technology like Richard Stallman.
>>53719889
He does not despise open source, but he finds it too common that people get it confused.
>>
>>53719833
There are dozens of us.
>>
>>53719758
Nothing will change, people will still develop software for free or for money.

Some people will be happy that there is one less retard telling them how to do their work or trying to undermine them, though.
>>
File: 1447117283637.jpg (32 KB, 560x560) Image search: [Google]
1447117283637.jpg
32 KB, 560x560
>>53719758
>open source
>>
FOSS will actually progress instead of being held back by autistic GPL clauses
>>
>>53720086
>Neckbeard autists developing software in their free time can't continue to compete with corporations.

hows that sub 30% market share of public facing web servers, and likely <10-20% of public facing servers, and basically nil % market share working out for microsoft and apple?

>but but muh professional development

oh you mean like super computers? oh, that's right, you only mean workspaces for normies, photo, video, and non-realtime sound programs for the aspies, and the cad software for machine shop assistance and mechanical engineer monkeys

let us know when you need to send rockets to space, research particle physics, or run simulations on those materials that have been developed for use in bridges -- we'll be waiting
>>
>>53719938
Read this
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html
>>
>>53720104
Except he explicitly said that he hates it in his speech at ccc 2014. He hates that people care about convenience and code quality instead of rights and freedoms. They totally miss the point and the worst part is that the media only seems to care about open source, not free software. That being said, the only time you are going to hear rms talk about open source is in rants like that one when he says how much he hates it.
>>
>>53719889
Stallman doesn't despise open source as it is neutral to Stallman's opinion. He will correct you if you confuse Stallman to be a proponent of open source.
>>
>>53720086
So how about developers developing free software in corporation time and then selling it?
>>
>>53720857
Do you happen to have any other citation about Stallman saying that he hates/despises the open source movement? I'm trying to look for that one but I can't find it.
>>
File: 7MwG2t5.jpg (51 KB, 630x450) Image search: [Google]
7MwG2t5.jpg
51 KB, 630x450
Nominating Eben Moglen for replacement
>>
>>53721164
At 2:40 he is called "the father of open-source" and that was a big mistake
https://youtu.be/oLkzv8ekZYY?t=2m40s
>>
Another malfunctioning Leftist SJW will replace him.
>>
>>53721846
Stallman rejects his fatherhood over the open source movement but that doesn't show he despises the open source movement. He has said in the past that open source is not bad or wrong - it's just not what he supports and it should not be associated with him.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.