[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do you bother installing Gentoo the hard way when you ca
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
Why do you bother installing Gentoo the hard way when you can use exGent? https://sourceforge.net/projects/exgent/?source=typ_redirect Has anyone else used it too? What are the perks? I'm getting ready to try it out in a VM.
>>
>>53719339
Because fun too and calculate exist
>>
install gentoo
>>
>>53719354
What's the perks of calculate compared to gentoo? just curious.
>>
>>53719339
>not torrenting it
>>
Does Gentoo have good hardware support for say a RTL8723au wifi card?
>>
This is calculate linux. what even is the point of gentoo?
>>
I've actually been slightly considering moving from Arch to Calculate, but I'm worried about compile times, and I'm not sure whether having a fully source based system is really something worth bothering with. I don't even edit pkgbuilds anyway.
>>
>>53719380
it has an installer
apart from that its just gentoo
>>
so why bother? What's the point
>>
>>53719948
There is no point. Gentoo is a stupid meme distro. Nobody here actually uses it or anything based off of it.
>>
>>53719975
You're right. Even the ones with an installer isn't worth it because using Gentoo isn't worth it IMHO. Arch is a much better option if you want to use that type of distro, as I used Arch for a few months. But I'm gonna stick with Ubuntu.
>>
File: screenFetch-2016-03-27_15-39-00.png (390 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2016-03-27_15-39-00.png
390 KB, 2560x1440
>>53719975
Gentoo is pretty fucking sweet desu.

>>53720098
Arch is much more bloated and isn't maintained by the principles of minimalism and choice - which Gentoo is. See the systemd thread that some guy makes every day on here.

I ran Funtoo for a few months and switched to Gentoo. I really enjoy the package manager, portage is really nice. The install process isn't complicated - just time consuming because you are waiting for stuff to compile. The steps are pretty similar to Arch - you just end up with a better distro at the end of the day.
>>
>>53720286
I am not really a fan of the package manager and portage, but to each their own. I just prefer pacman, eopkg, and apt
>>
>he isnt using Trisquel
>>
>>53720286
I'll ask the age old question again: why use Funtoo over Gentoo?
>>
>>53721306
If you want a lower-effort install. That's honestly all there is to it. The community is just as autistic but even more self-righteous, not to mention far smaller. Their fucking website had the shia labeouf JUST video on the front page for months. You couldn't come up with a more literal meme distro if you tried your absolute hardest.
>>
this is a test
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.