[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I fell for the linux meme when my thinkpad arrived and installed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7
So I fell for the linux meme when my thinkpad arrived and installed Mint dualbootin' with w10.

This shit is pretty comfy, but right now I'm asking myself If I should try arch.

Need some pros/cons.

>inb4 install gentoo
>>
cons: things can always go wrong
pros: fast startups
>>
>>53718741
Please elaborate.

Worked with ubuntu and fedora in vms for like 2 years so my level of understanding of what I'm doing is like 3/5.

What could go wrong ?
>>
>>53718805
There's memes about xorg getting fucked up, but from my experience, nothing really happens unless you cause it to.
>>
>>53718689
>Mint
lel
enjoy your backdoor
>>
File: 1439344142279.jpg (924 KB, 1660x1940) Image search: [Google]
1439344142279.jpg
924 KB, 1660x1940
If pic related appeals to you then Arch may be your kind of thing.
>>
>>53718805
all distros I've used have things that can go wrong randomly and effectively ruin my install
>>
>>53718990
>I have never used Debian Stable
>>
I too once fell for the Arch meme, it's been 3 years now and I'm still stuck with the meme...
>>
>>53718689
Things you'll ask yourself while using arch

>why isn't my sound working?
>why isn't Bluetooth working?
>why can't I write to my external hdd?
>why can't two audio sources play at once?
>why doesn't my flash drive mount when I plug it in?
>why do my fonts look like shit?
>etc etc
>>
>>53718689
Pros:
> Very light, not really any preinstalled shit
> The package manager is really powerful
> With yaourt you can access the AUR which means you'll almost never have to manually compile a package
> Very well documented
> One of the first to get software updates, already running Linux 4.5 here
Cons:
> Doesn't just werk
> It can be difficult to install if you're not somewhat familiar with a terminal/don't just use a guide
> You'll get memed on by some faggots, you're already seeing them in this thread
> It's less stable, you can fuck up an installation a lot easier than a more stable distro
>>
>>53719037
You'll be asking these if you're too retarded to install drivers.

Fonts are a problem, but Infinality works pretty well.
>>
If you've got hours you want to waste, install arch. Sure, I guess you'll learn more doing it the "hard way" but trawling through a wiki for 2 hours trying to figure out why your install hasn't worked for the 3rd time gets tiresome. Plus have fun going through the wiki for an hour every time something doesn't work.
>>
>>53718689
pros and cons are a bit misplaced in this context. if you like mint and i'm presuming cinnamon as a DE, arch with a self installed DE will be more work to set up und generally not as comfy, but once set up the difference will likely be pretty marginal. on the other hand, arch is rolling release... if you're into that kind of thing.

my problem with arch is that i don't really see the point. it's not different enough from a debian minimal install, but debian gives you a lot more software compatibility. if you absolutely want something different and light and rolling release, go for void - it actually has an installer and it is actually different from the others in that it doesn't use systemd and in that it uses libressl instead of openssl.

tl;dr - unless hard pressed, stay with what you like. all linux distros are rather flexible and mint is nice in that cinnamon is, as you stated, pretty comfy.
>>
>>53719076
Drivers alone won't fix these, I know from experience.
>>
>>53719038
>AUR is good
just no. untested packages are a fucking joke.
>always running the latest kernel is good
fuck off.
>>
File: 892hn98q.jpg (38 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
892hn98q.jpg
38 KB, 512x512
>>53719112
>>
>>53718953
you've never used Arch so why spread bullshit about it?
>>
>>53718953
I only use arch because I don't like preinstalled DEs and prefer pacman over apt.
>>
>>53719086
I'll think about it.

Maybe I should install arch in a VM in my free time and learn about it a bit.

Thanks all, very much appreciated.
>>
Are the memes about pacman breaking things and being unable to handle dependencies true? This is really my only hangup on arch.
>>
>>53719313
No. The only ones spreading this nonsense is the ones that never used Arch
>>
>>53719239
>Maybe I should install arch in a VM in my free time and learn about it a bit.
This is your best bet. The best way to know if something is right for you is to try it.
>>
>>53719197
As someone who has used arch, that graphic isn't far off.
Why spend an hour reading wiki pages so I can feel like a l33t h4xor when I could just install an actual distro with a GUI installer like a normal person.
>>
>>53719436
Because it's fun.

And besides, a manual installation means more options for the user.
>>
>>53718689
DISTRO-HOPPING HAS NO PROS
I
S
T
R
O
-
H
O
P
P
I
N
G

H
A
S

N
O

P
R
O
S
>>
>pros
bleeding edge if you're autistic
nice wiki
Good for ricing
>Cons
unstable as fuck
problems that are on after another
as comfy as taking a spikey dildo in the ass

Suggestion: try manjaro for the arch goodness but the mint friendliness or fedora for that edge/stabilty combo
>>
>>53719504
while i agree with your analysis, i would argue to stay away from manjaro. it's a fucking shithole.

i like the fedora conclusion though. the 6 months release cycle really is everything anyone needs in terms of edginess.
>>
>>53718689
>mint
Mint is an Ubuntu derivative and no one in their right mind should ever want to use anything made by or influenced by Canonical.
>>
>>53719205
Ubuntu/Debian minimal will give you no preinstalled DE and let you pretend you're a l33t hax0r by typing sudo apt-get install cinnamon.

For installing a few packages there is no functional difference between apt and pacman, and if you use Debian you won't need it to do any more since you won't be having to update half your system every weekend.

There is a reason nobody uses Arch to get shit done. If you want to learn a bit more about how Lunix works but aren't ready for Slackware or Gentoo then it's a great way to be forced into acquiring a deeper understanding of Linux, but that's about it.
>>
>>53719575
leave
leave and never come back
>>
>>53719620
15 rubles have been deposited into your Amazon account.
>>
>>53719037
>why isn't my sound working?
Volume is muted
>why isn't Bluetooth working?
Need to install bluetooth utils
>why can't I write to my external hdd?
Plug it in and mount it
>why can't two audio sources play at once?
Forgot to press play
>why doesn't my flash drive mount when I plug it in?
Plug and Play :^)
>why do my fonts look like shit?
Schedule an appointment with an optometrist
>>
>>53719436
>Why spend an hour reading wiki pages
>an hour
>a couple of pages
This is why you should have practiced reading more during primary school.
>>
>>53718689
I've been using Arch for almost a year now as my only OS.

It's fast, bleeding-edge and has a huge software catalogue (offical repo + AUR = god-tier). Support (i.e. the almighty Wiki) is abundant and very helpful.

Cons? It's DIY. Therefore, if you want something that "just werks" you're off to a bad start.

But if your aim is to learn Linux internals and have ridiculous freedom to customise your system, Arch is the way to go.

One of the net benefits of running Arch for me has been that I know exactly what's running in my system at any given point. I can fire off htop any time and I'll be able to recognise every process listed there, because 90% of them I had to install myself.
>>
>>53718689
>No Maki Linux distro

Get on it, faggots.
>>
File: Ubuntu1204_desktop2.png (383 KB, 800x561) Image search: [Google]
Ubuntu1204_desktop2.png
383 KB, 800x561
>>53719933
>>
>>53718689
There's a reason whenever you see professionals using GNU/Linux on desktops it's always Ubuntu.
>>
>>53720031
Yeah, except when it's openSUSE, Debian. RHEL or CentOS.
>>
Debian is the best Linux desktop operating system.

It has a large support community, and because of similarities with ubuntu, most software from the most popular linux distro is compatible.

Arch is fine too, they have probably the largest support community, but that may be because it is harder to get things to run on it, (b/c it is not as popular as debian based systems).

For Desktop environments / window managers, I recommend either Cinnamon (if you want mint's very comfy & modern gnome2 based DE), or Awesomewm (if you want to use a completely different "tiling" window manager, which is probably the best type of window manager).
>>
Quit fucking around with distros and start learning about the fun stuff underneath. Learn how to use bash and the coreutils, maybe a proper text editor if you feel up to it. Figure out how to make your own scripts to do whatever you like on a whim.

I like Arch myself but only because I like pacman and the AUR and am used enough to my custom setup that it's easier for me to build up than to modify a ready-baked distro.
>>
>>53718689
you should quit being a faggot
>>
>>53718689
I saved that Maki.
>>
>>53721398
Glad you like it.
>>
>>53718689
AUR
U
R
>>
>>53719473
>>53718689
This.

Stick to a single distro until you reach the point where you yourself know what you're looking for in a distro and don't need to ask other people.
>>
>>53719008
This, I just can't fuck up Debian no matter how hard I try.
>>
Try Manjaro first, is comfy too.
>>
File: freebsd.png (1 MB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
freebsd.png
1 MB, 1200x900
>>53718689
Install FreeBSD.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.