[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how do I /tiling wms/, /g/? what is the best one what is the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 2
File: Wmii-3_screenshot.png (37 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
Wmii-3_screenshot.png
37 KB, 1280x1024
how do I /tiling wms/, /g/?
what is the best one
what is the easiest to get into
>>
i3

rtfm
>>
>>53718542
There's a window manager easier than i3? damn
>>
Awesome WM is automatic instead of manually splitting your screen like i3
>>
>>53718542
seconded

>>53719163
wtf are you talking about
>>
>>53719163
What you mean by automatic? I3 is automatic too.
>>
DWM is god tier, use i3 if you want a timesink. Of course, RTFM is important
>>
>>53719223
wtf is rtfm and why is it necessary?
>>
no window manager...
just tty and tmux.
if you'r programming, you won't need all that fancy stuff
>>
>>53719247
Read The Fucking Manual, you moron.
>>
Best -> xmonad
Easiest -> i3
>>
>>53719247
Read
The
Fucking
Manual

man i3 or whatever fuck program/utility you want to learn
>>
>>53718154
Best one for noobs: i3
Very configurable, not so noob-friendly (config file is in Lua): awesome

I use awesome because I like Lua and wanted an excuse to learn it better. Also, because I tried i3 and never got it to work as quick as I did with awesome. Of course this is all a matter of preference but I think you'll find i3's config file easier to understand.
>>
>>53719266
what makes xmonad better than i3?
>>
>>53718154
For example if you were in Ubuntu you would go to your terminal and then type: sudo apt-get install i3
Then all you have to do is logout and choose the WM and then boom.
>>
>>53719223
DWM looks cool. Solves the only problem with i3(handling special kind of floating windows).
>>
>>53718154
i3 is great.
As others have said, rtfm.
https://i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html
>>
So everything is done by keyboard in these WMs? I dont see close button on windows...
>>
>>53719332
That's one of the biggest points on tiling wms.
They're optimized for keyboard control. It ends up being a lot faster than mouse for most tasks.
>>
dwm 2000 lines of c
can't be beat
>>
>>53719332
Yes.
It is great
>>
Want to try i3
Is there an easy way to go back to openbox if I fuck things up?
>>
>>53719332
Of course there's mouse support in tiling WMs, but yes, the focus tends to sway more towards using keystrokes to get around.

But there are other non-tiling WMs like OpenBox which primarily use the mouse, like any floating WM would do.

As for the title bars, yes, many tiling WMs strip them to save screen estate. After all, the chief aim of tiling WMs is to maximise screen space so it's natural they try to get rid of unnecessary clutter.
>>
>>53719385
Are you serious?
>>
bspwm is absolutely wonderful but it does require some previous UNIX know-how
>>
>>53719385
Yes.

Just replace "exec i3" with "exec openbox" in your .xinitrc. If you're using a display manager like kdm, gdm or lightdm, it should be even easier (it'd be a simple dropdown selection).

I recommend you do the following. Download PC-BSD and install it in a VM. PC-BSD comes prebundled with all of the major WMs (i3, awesome, fluxbox, OpenBox, etc.) and it will let you install as many as you want and switch between them very easily.
>>
>>53719432
That's neat. Thank you
>>
Tiling wms eat your free (and probably your productive) time like needy children. If you can be bothered to spend a lot of time setting one up, getting used to it and to fix it when it breaks, try dwm, i3, or herbstluftwm.

If not, set up workspaces and a shortcut to cycle through them. I have one for web, one for terminal, one for code. All I ever need.
>>
File: the game.jpg (187 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
the game.jpg
187 KB, 1680x1050
>>
>>53719495
It took me a couple of weeks to get my tiling WM to where I wanted it to be, but once I did, it paid off. I no longer need to waste time shuffling windows around which are hiding each other and getting windows side by side is impressively natural.

I have a 17'' laptop, no external monitors attached. You can imagine how efficient my usage of the little room I have is. Hint: a lot.
>>
>>53719318
sorry what? i3 has special floating windows, just like dwm. it lacks the config-in-source-and-recompile dumbfuckery, though.
>>
>>53719557
How is not using a tiling wm and going fullscreen not efficient usage of my screen space?
>>
>>53719577
It doesn't automatically make those small windows floating. Multiwindow applications like gimp or PokerStars are pain to use. Dont know if dwm is any better though. It seems to be better.
>>
>>53719385
very carefully
>>
>>53719623
If all you ever do is one thing at a time, never multitask or perform side-by-side comparisons (like when you're comparing two source files or previewing your code changes in another window) then I guess you're alright.

But I have a small screen and need to do many things at once. I need to have ranger open or at least Vim's file browser to get around, I need to look at some code while I write some other bit (think header files and source files)... All in all, doing just one thing at a time, aka having only one screen on the monitor at once, is not efficient for me.

But I guess if all you do is play games or post shit on Facebook, yeah, no need to maximise screen.
>>
>>53719662
Gimp has had a single window option built in for a while now.
>>
>>53719662
pretty sure it does. gimp for one starts with three floating windows and is just as much a pain to use in i3 as anywhere else. i arrange the three windows in a horizontal split and pull the toolbar ones smaller with the mouse. perfectly usable.
>>
>>53719714
really? i have to check that out.
>>
>>53719714
Irrelevant. PokerStars is unusable. It completely messes up everything.
>>
literally anything + vim
>>
>>53718683
kek
>>
>>53719697
When I need two things side by side I can half max windows when I push them to the edge of my screen (and I'm pretty sure I could even configure a shortcut for that, too). And on my x220 anything smaller than half the screen could just as well not be there.

But I guess if you need a picture of your waifu and ranger to "get around" while coding, yeah, get a tiling wm. It's /g/'s equivalent of a lumberjack shirt.
>>
What is echinus?
>>
>>53719837
Good for you. You can split 2 windows. I can split any number of them. Recently I bought a 24'' monitor so now I have my tiling WM running on two screens, my tiny laptop screen and the monitor.

I can now have 4 applications open in the same window (sometimes even more, depends what I'm doing) and get shit done and I rarely have to think about where each window will go because my WM will take care of that for me. Also, I can toggle the fullscreen status of any program whenever I want with a simple keystroke.

Do you want to jerk off to pony pictures on /d/, then you don't need much. Do you want to be productive and get shit done? Use a tiling WM.
>>
>>53720017
Please elaboarte on the 4+ applications you have open when being productive.
>>
>>53718154
If the terminal is all you wish to split, why not use a terminal multiplexer? Try tmux.
>>
>>53720157
compared to i3, tmux is a pain to use
>>
ratpoison/stumpwm > wmii > * > liquid feces > awesomewm
>>
>>53720187
That's subjective.
>>
>>53719223
>use i3 if you want a timesink
I tried i3 in a VM, it is simple as shit contrary to Awesome.
>>
>>53720199
>>53720246
I think we can all agree Awesome's name is misleading.
>>
>>53720207
did you come to that conclusion all by yourself, sherlock?

>>53720260
absolutely.
>>
>>53720301
Uncalled for.
>>
>>53720313
well, come on. by your logic, everything is subjective. the simple point remains that for the same actions in tmux you need more keystrokes than in i3. whether or not you find that a pain or not is, obviously, subjective.
>>
>>53720348
And there you have it, which is up to OP to decide what he prefers. Maybe he preferes a terminal multiplexer over a tiling window manager and doesn't mind the the keystrokes in tmux.
>>
>>53719529
>#
I didn't know I could do that. Thanks!
>>
>>53718154
>easy
>tiling wms
smuganimegirl.jpg
>>
There is any tiling WM with doesn't apeshit while changing windows on gimp and libreoffice? I'm using xmonad for about 3~4 years and this is my only complain.
>>
>>53719247
READ THE FUCKING MANUAL
THE
FUCKING
MANUAL
>>
>>53719266
Xmonad is literally dwm in haskell. Xmonad is only better if you know Haskell and care that much
>>
>what's the best one
dwm

>what's the easiest to get into
probably i3 seeing as it's plaintext config and all that.
>>
>>53719294
because you have to learn a meme language that was solely created for that window manager, so autists automatically assume it's superior to any other WM that uses a more versatile language
>>
>>53721425
This.

Though the easiest to get into would be openbox + pytyle2
>>
>using anything other than emacs DE
>>
>>53721521
>emacs DE
what
>>
>>53721532
It's real.

It's called exwm.
>>
The only user friendly one is awesome-wm the others just make tiling a chore.
>>
>>53721546
Is that what Stallman uses?
>>
>>53721577
Well he says X is a distraction.

So probably not.
>>
>>53720408
yes, maybe. i would point out that the OP asked about tiling wms, but maybe you're right. what's the argument again? a philosophical discussion about subjectivity?

>>53721444
well, i actually kinda like haskell and i don't know if what you're saying is true (that it was created for that wm), but it is certainly true that haskell people tend to be quite autistic.
so the answer is, nothing makes it better. good.
>>
Are tiling managers viable on tiny resolutions? 1024x768
>>
>>53721977
Yes very much so.
>>
>>53719223
I really want tiled frames of windows in dwm.
>>
>>53722886
>>53722886
What do you mean?
>>
>>53719427
Seconding this
bspwm + sxhkd is great
>>
>>53719385
How the fuck did you learn how to install Openbox
>>
I've been using awesome for the past month. I find it pretty comfy tbqh familia. I'm still getting used to the keyboard centric flow, adn the fact that I still have W10 for >muh vidya doesn't help, but I'm finding it pretty cool. Might try something like dwm or bspwm in a few months
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.