[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will tablets/e-readers become like cell phones where almost everyone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3
Will tablets/e-readers become like cell phones where almost everyone has one? Are we moving towards an all internet, all ebook society?

Take for example, Amazon's Kindle Fire. Not a great, or really even good, tablet by any means, but the people at work who own one seem to like it for reading.

They literally sell them in six-packs. Price at $250 for the pack, this would be a godsend for a classroom/low-income family at Christmas.

I can see tablets one day being sold for really cheap like Tracfones.
>>
File: 61sJlpMhVFL._SL1000_.jpg (83 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
61sJlpMhVFL._SL1000_.jpg
83 KB, 1000x1000
>>53717529
Nabbed a Fire 6 HD for like $30. I think it's the tier above your pic related.

I can't recommend it, but it is good as a Kindle/pocket Netflix for not wasting my battery/Spotify device.

The implications of this are kind of amazing though. A society where everyone has access to the lexicon of human knowledge is looking feasible.
>>
>>53717529
They already are cheap. Sure they are low resolution, but in a few years even the cheap ones will be 1080p.

That said those $50 ones are really crappy in the op. You get a $50 discount when buying 5.
>>
I think I have like 5-6 of the Kindle tablets in my household. I myself use an Asus tablet.
>>
>>53717591
>Spotify
>Netflix
>Kindle
>paying for shit

FUCK OFF, NORMIE.

I BET YOU USE TWITTER AND NORMIEBOOK.
>>
>>53717628
>I BET YOU USE TWITTER AND NORMIEBOOK.

Have a Twitter for keeping up with my normie friends, actually. As far as they know, I'm just the stereotypical new age Hollywood comic/computer nerd.

If only they new about my Persian vacuum cleaner enthusiast chat line.
>>
>>53717591
>A society where everyone has access to the lexicon of human knowledge is looking feasible.

Unfortunately this will always be a myth. The internet is the ultimate tool that can be used to bring information and knowledge to communities where it's difficult to do so otherwise, and yet we almost exclusively use it to send dick pics via Snapchat and/or other stupid shit.
>>
>>53717670
>having normie friends

You are a normie. You sicken me. Your culture, your music, your movies. Even thing about you makes me sick. Oh, look at me, I have friends! And where does that get you? Talking to people only superficially makes your life better. It has been shown that people without friends tend to have higher IQs.

>new
>*knew

You fucking drooling retard.
>>
>>53717713
I hope you do not own a gun, anon.
>>
>>53717713
Man, nowadays, you can look cool just for having surface knowledge of superheroes/being able to install a printer driver.

My brother is kinda popular at high school, yet is just as spregy as I was seven years ago.
>>
>>53717628
>anyone who doesn't suffer from autism is a normie
wew lad
>>
>>53717764
>born too early to be a "cool nerd" in high school

Hurts mang.
>>
>>53717770
If you talk to the normie, you are a nomire.

If you like their films, their music, their culture, you are a normie.

You are everything wrong with the world and you will be its end.
>>
>>53717628
Have a Twitter for keeping up with writers I like and just having a social presence.

Doesn't really do much, but it keeps me in people's minds when inviting people out to the bar and such every few months.
>>
File: 1450108531473.png (19 KB, 267x302) Image search: [Google]
1450108531473.png
19 KB, 267x302
>>53717816
>>53717713
>>53717628
This isn't even trolling, just really fucking stupid.
>>
>>53717816
>I'm a social reject with no friends, and no way to reach common ground with the vast majority of people, but THEY'RE the problem, not me.

You sound like a miserable cunt to be around and would explain why you "prefer" to be alone when in all reality, you have no alternative.
>>
When will amazon release a 1080p $50 tablet?
>>
>>53717628
>>53717713
>>53717816
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>53717867
Never. 1024x600 will be the shit-ass sub-$60 tablet resolution forever. Even though you could buy a $75 Colorfly G708 Oc with 1280x800.
>>
>>53717867
when the price of 1080p panels comes down for pretty much every device. I mean shit, I just bought my little sister an LG K7. Thing doesn't even have a 720p screen. Granted the phone was $180, but even 720p on mobile devices isn't standard yet.

By the time 1080p becomes standard and able to be bought at the $50-$70 price range, 8k screens will be the new "norm" and 1080p would be "just enough" and only found on super budget tier devices.
>>
>>53717917
Can they really improve screen yields that much?
>>
>>53717791
>>53717764

Since when are nerds cool in HS ? It's never been like that.

>>53717694

True.
>>
>>53717694
This. We've had the internet for over two decades now.
By 2010 it already earned worldwide recognition.

Not only has it not achieved it's full purpose, people only seem to get dumber as the days go by.

The problem was never access to information, that is something monarchs realized centuries ago. The problem is an overwhelming mass of retards simply refusing to do anything fruitful or productive with themselves. A peasant is always a peasant, whether he wears a dumb hat and a pitchfork or designer cloth and a shiny phone.

At least now we know restriction of information was not the cause of ignorance. Just general monkey business.
>>
>>53718061
yes and no. That was just a crude example. But for instance, 720p screens are seen on budget devices usually. 1080p screens are on the mid-range phones. 1440p is becoming exceedingly rare as placebo 4k screens are taking over the high end/flagship range of devices.

For normal people, a higher number is better when it comes to electronics. Completely disregard the fact that the super high res screen drains battery life and provides little to no noticeable difference on a 5-8" screen.

As for 8k, I think there are some TVs from LG or Samsung. They sold for like $120,000 in Japan or some shit.
>>
>>53717529
I wouldn't wish any of these low-end tablets on even my worst enemy. Just spend a couple extra bucks and get a Nexus 7 2013 which will fly on Marshmallow.
>>
>>53718093
>Since when are nerds cool in HS ? It's never been like that.

For a while now actually. You might have a different definition of "nerd" though. When I think of a nerd, I think of a dorky looking dude with zero fashion sense, bad hygiene, and little to no social skills. Their hobbies are usually technology based and center around being alone 99% of the time.

Current day "nerds" are a little harder to spot. For instance when I was in high school, I played on the football and baseball team. So I had a bunch of "jock" friends.

But on my free time I was building computers, playing video games on them and talking about said games/PC stuff with the traditional groups of "nerds" so I had friends in that circle too.

Same thing with comics and anime. I also enjoyed that and had a couple of friends in that clique as well.

But if anyone were to ever ask if they thought I was "nerdy", it was a no. I was just the "computer guy"
>>
>>53717917
Even Apple hasn't broken 720p on the SE. Fucking "Retina display".
>>
>>53718227
for a phone that is $400, that is a slap in the face. Granted I know how much of an asshole company Apple can be, but not even 720p is sad really when a $200 android has a 1080p screen.

I know the screen doesn't make the phone, but for fuck's sake it should be a given at that price point.

Then again, the higher resolution screen would drain the already tiny iphone battery even faster than before, so that must mean the low res screen is a feature! Apple anti-drain technology.
>>
>>53718266

you can't see the difference on a 4 inch phone. It would just take up more battery life for no reason
>>
>>53718312
You're not wrong. It's just like I said, I kind of slap in the face. Like "fuck you, here is a 920x480 screen for $400" or whatever the resolution is. The LG K7 I mentioned has some weird ass resolution like that, but for the $180 I paid, I didn't feel terrible.
>>
Moto g is 720p. So I disagree that those screens are too expensive. I think a $100 1080p tablet should hit by Christmas and $60 or so next year.
>>
Apparently you can get a nexus 7 for like $140 with a 1900x1200 screen and 2gb of ram. Too bad it is only 7 inches.
>>
>>53718841
And no SD card reader

Rehhhhhhhhhhhhh
>>
>>53718410
You could have literally gotten a phone with 1080p, octo core processor and 3 GB RAM with a Chinese phone. You got gypped.
>>
Android just sucks compared to ios hence why everyone willing to pay apple for a better designed product.
I laugh when any faggot is talking about mah 4gb ram in their phone its because the os is all bloat like windows vista.
>>
>>53717591
>The implications of this are kind of amazing though. A society where everyone has access to the lexicon of human knowledge is looking feasible.

You can bring a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.
>>
>>53718936
Just use The Cloud.
>>
>>53718206
Sick blog. Tell us more about your life
>>
>>53721911
Lol
>>
There'll always be people who prefer print media, and then the vast swathes of people who just don't read for enjoyment to take into count

So no, I don't think they'll be as ubiquitous as mobile phones but they might become more popular among people who read
>>
I have an iPad Air and I barely ever use it.

I find it's uncomfortable to use it for long periods -- neck pain from looking down, or tired arms from holding it up.
The shit multi-tasking on tablets also is just frustrating to the point that I end up taking out my laptop.

I use it as an ereader, but I could've done that with a Kindle Paperwhite. It is good for PDFs, though -- Goodreader is a great app.

Between my phone and my laptop, I don't reallyhave any use for the iPad and I'll probably sell it soon.
>>
I keep my tablet away from my bed because I always ended u watching netflix instead of reading. If there's ever a device to fritter away on, it's those fucking tablets.
>>
>>53723130
Your neck will thank you for not using it.
Google "iPad neck"
>>
>>53721860
The cloud
>rheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>53717529
>Are we moving towards an all internet society?
I didn't know it was possible to live under a rock for that long.
>>
>>53718099
>The problem was never access to information.

I don't know dude, we're into to this app device thing since around 2008 and most apps need internet to function, there are not many "offline" apps that most people could get preloaded on a device when they buy it. that puts a burden on a lot of consumers that they may not be able to afford, and the ones who need it the most usually can't afford it.
>>
>>53717529
Tablets don't look like a device that combine e-book, laptop and digitazer. For now.
>>
Nah. We will definitely ditch physical books, but I don't need a tablet or e-reader. I would prefer using my phone or laptop to getting yet another device to keep track of. I can see devices replacing books, but not dedicated e-readers.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.