[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DevOps
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: DevOps-Gear.png (16 KB, 608x309) Image search: [Google]
DevOps-Gear.png
16 KB, 608x309
I know I'm going to get shot down literally from the start but does anyone use stuff like Ansible, Vagrant, Chef, Puppet to make life easier when developing web apps?

I have just started looking into this, a faggot at work introduced Vagrant but only used it very minimally, I want to know if there's better or easier tools out there, since the main reason to use this Dev Ops stuff is to make life easier

Someone here must have tried or done some of this already, please share your experiences
>>
>>53715174
>puppet
>making life easier
Pick one.

One a serious note, are you developing web apps on Virtual Machines or remote clients? Preinstalled *AMP stacks?
If so I guess these tools make sense, otherwise please elaborate.
>>
>>53715247
>web apps on Virtual Machines or remote
VMs, just going to use my laptop and stick a couple of VMs on there just to get the hang of this.

It's my own projects I'm going to work on so I don't need to worry about remote stuff just yet.

>Preinstalled *AMP stacks?
Gonna use Go or Elixir with Postgresql + Nginx probably, gonna start out building little demo APIs and work from there.

I just want a way to automate the setup as much as possible, I love the idea of creating the entire thing from a single 'vagrant up', that is cool as fuck.
>>
These tools make a devs life easier if they have a dedicated dev ops man maintaining the tools.

I work dev ops/release at a lamp stack company and we use almost all of those things.
It makes my life hell but we have a vagrant template devs can clone and bring up on demand when they break their vagrant.

I dont think those things offer much for a one man team. For a company, they are very useful.
>>
>>53715419
>I dont think those things offer much for a one man team
I think they'd be useful to me because I have a habit of fucking up my VMs and reinstalling from scratch when I try to configure shit like Postgresql and SSH.
Also I have a couple of different machines I use so it would save a lot of hassle if I could just copy a simple Vagrantfile over and bring up a VM with zero thought involved.
>>
>>53715458
Then yes, look into vagrant. Its the most useful to the situation you described, though it can be done with some of the other tools in round about ways.
Also experience is always helpful and good on a resume.
Tinker away!
>>
>>53715458
>>53715473
Also version control your vagrant file. Trust me.
>>
>>53715473
>>53715497
Thanks senpai
>>
Docker in the cool thing to use now.
>>
>>53715703
Docker is orthogonal to the tools I mentioned, but yes it has it's uses.
>>
>>53715473
Why is the selection of official images on the Vagrant site so poor?
>>
Vagrant is nice if you work in a team and want reproducible dev environments and/or want to isolate your stuff from your host machine. Ansible is useful for deploying or provisioning your server. You can even combine the two and have Ansible provision you Vagrant box.
>>
>>53719820
Could be missing something here, I'm still very new to this, but why does Vagrant need Ansible or any other provisioning tool?
From what I've seen so far, Vagrant has provisioning built-in and it's pretty nice.
>>
>>53720224
For me, I usually just use the standard Ubuntu base box, which means you've got to install additional software yourself, either manually, or using a provisioner such as Ansible, or a shell script. One advantage of doing it like this that you can generally use the same provision script for provisioning other machines.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.