[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PC build advices
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
Dear /g/.

I couldnt find "PC build" related thread, so I made this one to ask about few problems. If it shouldnt be here, please tell me.

I was thinking lately about upgrading my current machine, with i5-750 (2,6Ghz), P55M-UD2 motherboard, GTX 660 as GPU, 8gb of RAM and some decent PSU.

While browsing Logical Increments, I started to think about the differences between AMD and Intel CPUs. While at first I wanted to get tiehr i7-6700K or i7-4820K, I noticed that, at least in my location, AMD CPUs, mainly FX-8320, 8350 and 8370E cost nearly half that price. But what I "risk" for choosing AMD over Intel? The most CPU demanding tasks I can use it for are games, as for work-related things I have separate machine at work. Also, Im not sure if I should get some more advanced cooling than just stock one for that kind of CPUs.

Also, what exactly should I aim at, while choosing proper motherboard for certain CPU? For example, would it make big difference between MSI Z170A/ASRock Z170 Pro and ASRock H97?

Semi-related but if I would replace whole machine, safe for hard drives, would I still need to make clean install of OS (in my case - Windows 7, I dont trust 10) or there is faster way? Truth to be told, Im little afraid of spending day or two solely on installing all those updates provided since release, including hecking those trying to smuggle "telemetry" in.

Thank you for any reply, help or advice.

Sorry if this thread belongs somewhere else.
>>
>>53713285
Holy shit I don't even like women but that's fucking cute as. More?
>>
>>53713285
Lurk moar faggot.
>>
>>53713296

I just entered "CPU" into search on Danbooru. I dont think that author continued that image in form of series or something.

>>53713304

I did but I still have doubts, thats why I asked here, as you guys surely know a lot about that.
>>
>>53713285
Why are there like glasses on the PCB, what the hell, looking at it more, wtf is the part with 3 spikes on top and bottom, behind the tree?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PgnxD3
Is there something wrong with this? At first wanted to get FX-6300 because muh AMD and OC it, but that would require more expensive cooler, normal ATX and ATX Mid Tower (too big for my needs)
I'll be buying 470 when it comes out, not 370
Light gaming at 1680x1050.
Yes, I do need the optical drive
The 2 meme fans are a replacement for the ones that come with the case (XtraFlo or some shit, they're 1. loud and 2. have leds = fucken ugly)
>>
not OP but i also have a quick build question;

between a corsair 750d airflow edition and a mastercase pro 5 which is better for air cooling?
>>
Shameful semlfbump.
>>
Is one video card enough for triple screen setup with latest games today in high settings?
>>
OP my advice is choose a budget then get the best for the price.

I built a computer just yesterday. During research I was wondering the same things AMD vs INTEL. Eventually I went with an i7 4790k not so much because I need the power but because it was within my budget. Total was like $800 without peripherals or graphics card.
>>
>>53713285
Ok, lets get this out of the way.

If you can wait till October to early next year, fucking wait, amd will either put out the second coming of Jesus of cpus, driving intels prices down to compete, they fail to match up to new intel, but are still 8 core at least as powerful as sandy bridge, with a likely cheaper motherboard then intel, or amd price competes with intel, something more then a few of us are concerned with... this could result in a slow drop in prices, but is the more unlikely thing out of the 3.

now, as far as your concerned, any of the "8 core" amds that are over 3ghz are better then what you have... if i remember right the only thing in that lineup that was worth a damn was the 920 i7 and if there was a 6 core.

motherboard wise, make sure its able to handle the cpu, we had a thread a while ago where a retard put a 200+watt cpu in a motherboard that couldn't take it and bitched with it died.

you are likely going to want to oc the thing to 4ghz, so plan accordingly. i would personally get a horizontal case and get a noctua heat sync in the 100$ range... i fucking hate watercooling so i opt for air but if you have no qualms, get a watercooler aio for it.

amds lineup should be able to handle dx11 at 60fps, just not much over that, however, dx12 or Vulcan should take that 8 core amd to i7 realms of performance...

but everything with the caviate of if you can, wait, we are just about to get an absolutely massive die shrink on the gpu side and amd is potentially going to shake up what a mainstream cpu means.
>>
>>53714902
No clue, but I have zero airflow problems with my 750d. Anecdotal as heck, but I like it.
>>
>>53716808
i was having some airflow problems earlier in my nzxt phantom but i rearranged fans and orientations so its better now. thanks though
>>
here's how I would have worded it in 2003:

Dear [ actual friend into computers because internet cost is prohibitive ]

I couldnt find any cool dead hardware on the side of the curb.

I was thinking lately about upgrading my current machine, a 486 box I found in the school's trash.

While browsing the thrift-store for computer books, I was thinking of how cool it would be to have a pentium II system for utmost power.

I read somewhere that formfactors were different.

I'm going to fdisk this bitch and get God-tier windows 3.11 on it. I tried getting slackware on my 450mb drive, but it won't fit, even after removing most packages from the base install.

Thanks bro, I know I haven't talked to you in the flesh for a few months, since it's summer.

Sorry for my life existing.
>>
>>53714902
either is more than sufficient for basically any setup, just get whatever you think looks nicer.
>>
>>53716955

I dont think I get this joke.

>>53716324

Hard to say about budget, since the currency I operate in is not very popular, but lets say it is somewhat around 850$.

Mind you that I dont have to buy any HDD and can transfer optical drive from previous PC. Not the case in fact, it was problematic so far (with stupid slot for HDD - too small and placed from the side and way not enough space for anything overall).

Specs for those AMD CPUs and i7 seems similar but Im not really expert in that case and dont want to waste money on something that could turn out only slighly better or the same as the CPU I have right now.

>>53716783

It is not really that I can wait, I wait since year or 1,5, with something always in way. In overall, I tend to pick "high-mid" hardware, as each of my PCs so far. I always assume that they should perform well for around 2 years, this one (with exception of switching from GTX 460 to 660 at some point), served me for around 5.

Right now I could get, for example, FX-8370E for around 3/4 price of i7-6700K.

>you are likely going to want to oc the thing to 4ghz, so plan accordingly. i would personally get a horizontal case and get a noctua heat sync in the 100$ range... i fucking hate watercooling so i opt for air but if you have no qualms, get a watercooler aio for it.

Actually, I was always too scared for OC. I heard that some mobos feature things like some sort of "auto OC" but I dont think I could trust that or if it would have any real impact.

>we are just about to get an absolutely massive die shrink on the gpu side

Because of that AMD?

But I dont think I would buy something better than 960 or its price would really drop down?
>>
>>53717532
the die shrink is for both companies, though amd is probably launching first,

what you can expect from that would be a far more powerful gpu in the 960 price bracket, granted there is a good chance that they will be priced in a higher bracket at launch as nvidia wont have an answer to it for several months if not till next year.

if the difference between an amd is only 3/4 the price, go intel if you cant wait, intel is over twice as powerful as amd at the moment, and amd only catches up in multi-core.

i would rather go for a strong single core then just getting by and relying on dx12 or vulkan to get you by.

now if the price was half an intel, then you have a reason to go amd.

as for oc, if you are on amd, a 4ghz oc is easy to acheive, some getting around 5ghz and not pushing it to hard, but amd makes up alot of ground in just pushing to 4ghz in single core that its almost required if you want to guarantee 60fps and not be cpu bottle necked.

right now we are at an intreating time in the pc, a die shrink that takes the space a die takes up and cuts it to 1/4th (i know its more complicated and not necessarily that small but still) and intel has been kikeing us for... what 3-4 die shrinks charging the exact same price for something that takes up less die space and gets damn near the same performance? if amd puts out their 8 core at mainstream price 300-400 is the thought, but they could take it down to 200$ and still pull in more profit then they currently do with piledriver/steamroller/whatever the fuck their desktop chips are called because they are going from 32nm to 14/16nm the 8 core zen is half the size of their current desktop chip. they could force intel to drop the i7 price down to i5 levels if not lower.

im currently on a phenom II 955, an amd 280X oc to ghz levels, 16gb ddr2 and a sata2 ssd for boot.

every game i want to play can be played at 40-60fps if i turn a setting down. you current build isnt to far behind mine.
>>
>>53718483
cont

i whole heatedly suggest waiting if you can, some games will suck at lower fps but the potential industry wide price shake up and massive performance gains is worth it.
>>
>>53718483
>>53718504

>what you can expect from that would be a far more powerful gpu in the 960 price bracket, granted there is a good chance that they will be priced in a higher bracket at launch as nvidia wont have an answer to it for several months if not till next year.

I had no idea that Nvidia is preparing next GPU line if thats what you mean.

So, October, is it? Both for CPU and GPU category?
>>
>>53717532
>Right now I could get, for example, FX-8370E for around 3/4 price of i7-6700K.

Better to go with an i5

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-4690K-vs-AMD-FX-8370E/2432vs2984

If all you're doing is gaming an i5 is fine. US prices are about the same. That's what I mean decide on a price first.
>>
>>53718971
gpus form amd will be out by July i believe, but the heavy hitter, the one we haven't seen demoed at all, should be October to early 2017, but that one likely doesn't apply to you.

nvidia's next gpu, the only thing we know is a flop or transistor count, i think flops. which is 8000 for 1080, 10000 for the 1080ti and 12000 for the titan next

while amd hasn't said shit about the specs, just showed off a 960 vs a polaris 11 and the 11 using half the power, and a polaris 10 playing hitman without ever dropping below 60fps as i think 1080p (could have been 1440p, some say 4k but thats just bullshit)

october is when we are expecting zen to launch, but it may be a paper launch till early 2017, but then again news came out a while ago that amd contracted out samsung for additional fabs for zen. this could be wrong, if i remember right they have a fab minimum agreement with global foundries due to insider trading on the former ceos part, but i don't believe they can ONLY use that fab, and from what i remember global foundries are using the Samsung process.

main point is, amd believe they have a hit, and all things are pointing to them having a hit, they wont put a gpu on the 8 core die, so the space intel wastes on an i7 for it will be more cores, meaning amd has a die the same rough size as an i7, with more cores, and possibly ballpark as powerful single core, but multi core closer to what Intel has in the 1000$+ range, and they are likely goint to put it out at a mainstream price, as in 200-350$ and could put it out as cheap as 150$ and still pull profit. so price wise, its all on amd to price it right, no mater what, its going to be cheaper then intel for price performance, and will cause intel to readjust what they charge.

if amd prices it at 350, the i7 will cost around 250, if amd charges 700$ it will be a slow decline on both sides
>>
>>53719416
>>53719285

Thank you both.

I think I need to think this over then and gather more patience or something.

And hope that those "watchdog timeout" BSODs I started to get again lately are Windows fault, not my CPU.
>>
>>53719285
if you can hold off i would, as more recent games are showing scaling up to 8 cores and some showing scaling improvements with just more threads.

an i5 may be shooing yourself in the foot.
>>
>>53719285
That website is complete trash.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i3-6320-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4960X/3535vs1977
>>
im building a pc for actual games

intel i5 4690k
motherboard asus maximus viii ranger
600w 80plus
8gigs ram (X2 4g corsair vengance)
gtx960 4g ssc

any tips ?
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.