[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mac vs Linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 1200x630) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 1200x630
If money wasn't a problem and botnetness wasn't a problem would you use OS X? It's so much prettier than any DE Linux has and it just works... If there was a DE that was exactly like OS X (whatever quartz I guess) would you use that? Why do you guys think OS X is worse than Linux?
>>
I think you need to leave this place
>>
>>53710024
Because g is autistic
>>
>>53710024
>If money wasn't a problem and botnetness wasn't a problem would you use OS X?
no, sadly I have to use OS X at work and I hate every minute of it.
>>
>>53710105
Mind making an El Capitan install image so I can hackintosh anon?
>>
I use OSX on a rMBP and a hackintosh desktop. I've been a linux user since 2002 and really love linux, but I found that OSX is a nice user-experience for day to day and working tasks.

I still have a linux laptop and countless VM's, VPS, etc. I won't be dropping it any time soon.
>>
>>53710125
Download a virtual machine image with already installed OS X, open in in VMware Player, then download El Capitan and make a bootable drive.
t. not OP
>>
>>53710024
>it just works
SOUND MIXER
>>
>>53710155
Pretty much the same experience. I have a MacBook Air and a hackintosh desktop. I feel much more productive than when I was on GNU Linux. I still Linux though
>>
>>53710024
nope, I have a fully working El Captian hackintosh on a secondary hard drive but I never use it.

>>53710224
this, anyways you need access to a mac (vm is fine) to make a properly bootable usb stick for hackintosh.
>>
>>53710024
Probably not. What drives me towards Linux is mainly the fact that I can customize everything to my heart's content, pretty much.

I'd be missing that using any pre-chewed environment.
>>
I have OS X on my laptop and Linux on my workstation.

Both work well for me.
>>
File: cfd2.gif (250 KB, 736x489) Image search: [Google]
cfd2.gif
250 KB, 736x489
>>53710024
If money wasn't a problem I'd get a goddamn cluster. Support for cluster software is better on linux.

It'd be a pain in the ass to run a simulation like below on a cluster of computers running OS X
https://vimeo.com/158391409
>>
I already use Hackintosh, OP. If you got a decent computer it works just fine.
>>
I don't get why people haven't ported QuartzWM to linux yet, since it's open source.
>>
Been using hackintosh for a few months. I wasn't exactly looking for something I could fiddle with and customize, which linux distros excel at. I was looking for something not windows that worked fast as well and at least didn't tear my eyes out like W10 with its defaults. I also found a little couple of applications I couldn't get anywhere else. I used to hate apple products and such but honestly them trackpads and the OS are not bad at all.

>>53710262
I need to ask, is the Air any good? I heard that for people looking into Apple laptops it was rMBP or bust
>>
>>53710024
years ago i would have said yes but not now, though I do use it at work. the many "features" added to OS X over the years and even the standard software has really lost it's way.
>>
>>53710024
>what is freedom
>what does customizability mean
>what are package managers
>>
>>53710444
The air is ok, but the screen is 1440 X 900, and it's been out for a few years already. You should get a rMBP if you want a Mac, but if you want to save money, and have a monitor the mba is fine for shitposting, video, code and general things. Don't expect to play many games on it though
>>
>>53710024
>prettier
What are you gay?
You sound like a fucking pussy, or female.
>>
I use OS X because I like to get paid. It's that simple - you don't make money when you spend a day trying to fix your machine because something you couldn't predict fucked it up.

>Package managers
Homebrew works totally fine.

>Terminal crap
I live in a fullscreen iTerm2 that has never fought me on what I wanted to do.

>Actual true Photoshop support
Because this shit kinda matters if you're building a product at all

>Customization
I pretty much hide the dock completely and live via the keyboard with no issues whatsoever, and overall the system looks fine.

People say the standard software and such has lost it's way, and to some degree that's true, but it's still miles above the counterparts on Windows or Linux for me.

I run FreeBSD on servers these days for work, just because I like it a bit better overall, but I spent years on Linux and finally realized just how much damn time I wasted*.

* = I say as I shitpost on a bhutanese rotoscopy board
>>
>>53710024
No.
Apple is forever going to be a minority in all markets.
If people wanted Apple, it'd be a majority, but they don't, and it isn't.
Don't attempt to convince others to move onto your OS because you are the tech equivalent of a Mormon whose self-worth is defined by the OS you use. If anything, i feel pity for you.
>>
>>53710024
>prettier than any DE Linux has
1. Subjective bullshit.
2. You're wrong: every DE on Linux is extremely theme-able to suit literally every taste
3. Preferring form over function? Yeah you're a foppish faggot. Fuck off and drink your chai latte out of your wife's bull's ass.

>and it just works
This is a non-argument. Come back when you can be more specific.

>if there was a DE that was exactly like OSX would you use that?
No, because it's much less usable than the environment I have set up right now.

>Why do you guys think OSX is worse than Linux?
1. It doesn't make sense to pay when you could get what you want for free.
2. I care about software that respects my Freedom and Apple's attitude with all of their products has been to abuse their customers.
3. Package managers on Linux make it MUCH nicer to install and manage software on my machine. Compared to getting software on OSX... there's no comparison.
4. I just plain like the way that the software on my Linux machine works.
5. I like how UNpretentious Linux is and I hate the arrogant hipster faggotry infused into everything that Apple does.
>>
>>53710919
>Subjective bullshit
>You're wrong
>You're a faggot for liking it
>I use software depending on its userbase
>Compared to getting software on OSX there's no comparison

I can notice how rabid you are.
>>
>>53710990
If you're OP then you can't complain when people give you the opinions that you were asking for.
>>
>>53710990
You haven't argued him.
It's a fact that themes and UI are subjective, just like music is subjective. And the correct solution to subjectivity is giving functionality to apply it on any level to suit an individual need, because one of the few core objective traits of Human nature is individualism.
The hipster asshole thing is to impose a singular subjective view onto everyone and treat it as if it is a fact, because you are enlightened by your own (subjective) intelligence and your classy fedora.
The same way vegans impose their hipster cult onto others.

He was right to tell you to take your disgusting vegan puke slush and stuff it up your ass.
Now, that you were too stupid to see the point, that's your own problem.
>>
yes i would
the question is: how botnet is os x currently?
iPhone is not a botnet anymore if you aren't paranoid of closed source code (which is obviously neccessary in capitalist world)
>>
>>53711137
>iPhone is not a botnet anymore
Because Apple said some empty words or because you have proof?
Just because Apple doesn't want to share with the FBI because they are the most incompetent acronym organization in the USA with the most broken history of operation,
doesn't mean they don't with a more professional and hidden organization.
>>
>>53710790
Says the person who uses Linux?
>>
>>53711270
Says the person who uses whatever he wants, but doesn't have a need to impose it onto others because he's not a hipster faggot with a low self-esteem.
>>
>>53710497
Yeah I like my MacBook Air for its weight and its battery but I guess the retina is a better option nowadays.
>>
you cant right click in it, stupid to remove basic function
>>
I switched from Linux to OS X 4 or 5 years ago. Both are great
>>
>>53711401
Yes you can
>>
>>53710024
If it were open-source, yes.

I distrust all closed-source software.
>>
>>53711281
Isn't that what linux users do? If you don't use linux you're a cancer to this board through and through apparently. You can't have a single apple thread without it being shat out by the same kind of crowd, but when it comes to Gahnoo plus lunix you have your own little general, your single distro threads and even individual DE threads.

Meanwhile we drag down any discussion pertaining to other OSes with "poo in the loo rajeesh XD" and "go back to sucking cock because every applefag is homosexual" because those are excellent arguments made by the most intelligent people. Meanwhile we have plenty of people filling up your own little threads because they keep having issues, and issues, and more issues. Because to follow the crowd, if you wanna be the cool kid, the superior man with technical knowledge around here, you gotta use an operating system that you can customize to end up doing the same fucking thing in the end. You gotta show that you can type and remember commands in a fucking terminal as if we were all 16 and incapable of doing such a thing. Meanwhile you have to let a bunch of circlejerking, truly sexually disemboweled bunch of losers create their own little desktop threads full of "eyecandy" flat colors with flat chested girls thinking they have accomplished something by slamming their keyboards to get to an usable desktop, because it's all for a good cause.

You talk about macfags being obnoxious and feeling superior, in many years I haven't had -one- tell to my face to stop using a PC or an android phone, yet all you fuckers do is tell me to stop using this software, stop enjoying this, stop doing that because you don't understand the true freedom that is to have to run shit through wine while claiming that corporations no longer can spy on you (as -if-).
>>
But money isn't a problem, I run Linux on a $2500 laptop. I wouldn't use that DE, because as a DE/WM OSX isn't that great. It's just unix-like and had good support.

I don't care about botnet. I prefer Linux because package manager (homebrew exists for OSX - it's not as good), because it let's me configure it how I like, and it never ever gets in my way. Much of the software I use is developed on it, as well.
>>
>>53710444
The air is a GREAT piece of laptop. My old one from 2012 works like new except for some dents along the edges because I dropped it a hundred times. I handle it like a tablet basically.
>>
>>53711516
>If you don't use linux you're a cancer to this board through and through apparently.
Oh no, some bunch of people have opinions of me that are negative, while others are neutral, and some are supportive.
I shall focus on the negative people and lose my energy over them, instead of filtering them out mentally and focusing on the supportive ones, because it is incomprehensible that someone thinks negatively of me!
That can not stand! My narcissistic personality can not fathom anyone thinking poorly of my subjective choices or having a negative opinion!
DURR HURR BODY SHAMING MISOGINY DURRP HURRP

Learn some self-control you stanker. If i gave a fuck every time someone disagreed with me, i'd have no life left. So someone thinks something you do is cancerous. And?
Just have this question in mind when you browse anything on the Internet from now on: "What relevance or value to my life do these people have?"
That should fix your problem. Think about it.
>>
>>53711516
>ou talk about macfags being obnoxious and feeling superior, in many years I haven't had -one- tell to my face to stop using a PC or an android phone
Some of us here have experienced the opposite of what you say though. Don't speak in absolutes when they don't exist, else you look like an idiot.
>>
>>53710024
Quartz is shit, not that X11 is much better though.
>>
File: 1446679615011.gif (1 MB, 512x336) Image search: [Google]
1446679615011.gif
1 MB, 512x336
>>53713778
>X11 is better than Quartz Compositor
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.