[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Apple has fucked up so hard, so frequently for so long that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: sad_frog.jpg (7 KB, 316x202) Image search: [Google]
sad_frog.jpg
7 KB, 316x202
>Apple has fucked up so hard, so frequently for so long that I'm ashamed to use it anymore
>Windows 10 is some dystpian horror story that's slow as shit
>Windows 7 & 8 are going to be dropped any day and keep trying to trick you into upgrading
>Even the best linux distro is a major downgrade in terms of reliability, appearance, and ease of use
>Chromebooks have the functionality of a toaster

I don't want to play this game anymore
>>
OS X is fine. What's the problem with it?
>>
>>53710291
The hardware is horrid and over priced.
>>
8.1 or 7 goys?
>>
File: freebsd3.jpg (376 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
freebsd3.jpg
376 KB, 1680x1050
Use FreeBSD and wine for the must have windows application.

Yes its kind of a pain in the ass but that's the OS landscape right now.
>>
>>53710301
Then make a hackintosh just like me.
>>
>>53709923
>Elementary os
>>
>>53710319
Don't you think the sorry state of civilisation is caused more by capitalism: its ruthless doctrines of man versus man and the exploitation of workers and nature int he name of short-term profit rather than by technological advancement in itself?

On topic, why can't frog posters ever Google around to fix their own problems?
>>
>>53710360

http://editions-hache.com/essais/pdf/kaczynski2.pdf
>>
>>53710360
The sorry state of computing is caused by people who write proprietary software and users who are amoral about proprietary software. Software users who are serious about freedom in software take responsibility to develop the software they need.
>>
>>53709923
7 is supported until 2020 you mongoloid

>>53710313
>>
Now is the time to jump ship and start supporting free software.

All the info that's come out about Windows and Mac and DRM bullshit and spying/data collection is intolerable. Completely intolerable.

There's a legacy of 40 years of free and emulatable software. Just fall back on that and rebuild freedom. You don't need Candy Crush or DLC microtransactions.

Everything tied up with the Mac and Windows ecosystems is diseased and it's only getting worse. It's time to sever, disconnect, and proselytize.

The arguments for free software are stronger than they've ever been.
>>
>>53710472
One of the biggest problems about free software is that users are conditioned to live as servants who are helpless to do anything about their software but beg. Users normally do not understand that the nature of free software means anybody is free to improve it to make it perfect. Users are not ready to take responsibility over their own software to get it fixed as needed.
>>
>>53710417
Quite. The Linux audio experience is a testament to the ability of open source to provide beautiful, high-quality, easy-to-use, free software.
>>
>>53710529
Except if one tries to fix the problems one finds with free software, one will spend one's whole life doing so, with one's work being obsoleted when the community switches to a new shiny toy anyway. It is a fool's errand.
>>
>>53710539
Exactly. I had to configure nothing the last time I installed Arch and I had audio support immediately.
>>
>>53710571
There is only so much work that a single person is capable of achieving. What I'm advocating is that people learn to hire professional software developers to fix small and readily achievable problems that they encounter. That work ought to be shared with the public (assuming it's generally applicable) so that work doesn't necessarily need to be duplicated.
>>
>>53710608
Free software isn't so free, is it, really?
>>
>>53710326
> put gas on the fire
Sure, that'll help.
>>
>>53710693
Stallman's idea of free software has never meant "no money is permitted here". Free software in this context is not a reference to money but to the freedoms that users are allowed to do. I recommend people to make money by selling free software - find a customer who is willing to pay your price for your work and then you start doing the work.
>>
>>53710740
Sounds like a good way to end up with lots of Pajeet-tier code all mixed together into a glorious mess of unmaintainable shit, because Pajeet is a hell of a lot cheaper than other devs.
>>
OS X is so good, why wouldn't you use it?
>>
>>53710774
You get what you pay for. Is it any different to hiring illegal alien Mexicans to do some building work over hiring a properly insured and licensed builder?
>>
>>53709923
Windows 10 isn't slow. Also the spying is just a bunch of FUD by shut-in aspies, they don't spy anymore than Google spies on you. Windows 10 is the best OS out right now.
>>
>>53710800
People haven't quite realised that it applies to software too, yet. They still think things should be cheap or free, because even their nephew can do this webpage stuff in Frontpage.

Meanwhile, a generation of skilled devs will be forced out of the industry because they can't live on Pajeet's wages in their countries.

By the time people realise their folly in hiring Pajeet, it will be too late. They'll have killed the software industry.

This is why I hope things like Gigster DIAF.
>>
File: 1444686877521.jpg (38 KB, 580x346) Image search: [Google]
1444686877521.jpg
38 KB, 580x346
>>53709923
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsPi2tFKm9Y
Checkmate, proprietards.
>>
>>53710472
>Now is the time to jump ship and start supporting free software.
And when will that fucking pay off?
>>
>>53710339
>recommends the most unreliable distro of them all
It literally doesn't go 10 minutes without a noticeable bug showing.
>>
>>53709923
OP have you tried Solaris yet?

Maximum comfy over here
>>
>>53710836
How, or more importantly why do people dream up these doomsday tales? Spend your time writing software instead.
>>
There's nothing wrong with OS X.
>>
>>53709923
What fucked up reality are you living in?
>>
>>53710707
You sure don't know what you're talking about. I have 2 hackintosh running flawlessly. Once you have set it up nicely it's just like any other mac running. Except for imessage but I don't have an iPhone so...
>>
>>53710539
10/10 i see what you did there
>>
>>53711261
Because these people are out for our blood.
>>
>>53709923
Iktf tbqhwy fampai.
I currently am on win7 and Mint in dual boot: the former is working fine but has performance issues (boots in a full 2 minutes) and the latter is a buggy POS on which I can't rely to do serious work.
I'm gonna try Ubuntu 16 when it comes out, but I was hoping they'd release the new Unity with it.

Inb4 I'll have to get a Mac
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.