[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Graphing Calculators
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5
File: 71RH7Vj8FUL._SL1500_.jpg (137 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
71RH7Vj8FUL._SL1500_.jpg
137 KB, 1500x1500
Hey /g/,
I was looking into getting a new graphing calculator for college. None of my upcoming classes care about what kind of calculator I have, so I was hoping to upgrade from the TI-84 (pic related), I have now.
What are some calculators you suggest? Something with good documentation and good multi use would be nice.
I want to get the most out of my money. Also I'm currently an electrical engineering student.
>>
File: casio.jpg (47 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
casio.jpg
47 KB, 500x500
made it through all 4 years with this lil baby and a TI 30x-whatever. Graphing shit was banned.
>>
you will not need a calculator for calculus
it's all symbolic expressions

in fact, doing gaussian flux stuff in physics all we had to do was derive things, and not even compute them
>>
HP48G
still the greatest and best
>>
>>53708056
Yea, I went through all of my calculus classes, and I didn't really need the graphing capabilities.
When I took physics they had me take derivations and calculate flux, I remember doing that with fields. It was a nightmare for me

>>53708030
Iv'e looked into a casio for a while. I'll take a look into this one. Thanks!
>>
>>53707989
Before calculus 3 there's no reason to have anything more than an 84 if you know what you're doing with it

You may want a color, 3D capable graph in calc 3 to understand some of the things but anything the 84 can't do can be checked using Wolfram alpha

Only in your engineering classes (statics, circuits and methods, etc) will a CAS calculator even be that useful. Before then it's just unnecessary, especially if you change majors after failing calc 2 the third time like most engineering majors.

t. Engineering student & math tutor
>>
>>53707989

Graphing calculators are a thing of the past. The only people that use them do so because they go them from older relatives.

>Pirate Matlab and Maple
>Use that for all your graphing/crunching needs
>Enjoy your 4.0 and people calling you clever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91RZYO1cv_o
https://kat.cr/mathworks-matlab-r2015a-64-bit-firstuploads-t10359507.html
https://kat.cr/maplesoft-maple-2015-64bit-crack-t10497789.html
>>
File: texasi[1].jpg (3 MB, 3329x2205) Image search: [Google]
texasi[1].jpg
3 MB, 3329x2205
>>53707989
get a real calculator pleb
>>
File: download.jpg (5 KB, 244x207) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5 KB, 244x207
>>53712164
>>
>>53712137
When you grow older, you'll understand the strength of the calculators.
>>
>>53712137
Not going to lie, I used MATLAB to do most of my calc homework first and second years, but we straight up aren't allowed to use a graphing calculator for almost anything at my University
>>
How about this

Buy a cheap, used smartphone for $30 and just get a graphing app for it instead of paying upwards of $200 dollars for a far inferior machine
>>
>>53707989
get it secondhand, it will cost a fifth of the new price
>>
>>53708030
my nigga
>>
graphing calcs are one of the biggest scams around. they only exist because TI hustled highschools into requiring them. fucking zero functionality in the real world, it's the worst tool for what it does.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.