[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>2016 >his/her PC/laptop still uses an HDD as the boot drive
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: mx100-intro.png (171 KB, 500x295) Image search: [Google]
mx100-intro.png
171 KB, 500x295
>2016
>his/her PC/laptop still uses an HDD as the boot drive
>>
I pity those without SSDs and want to tar-and-feather the manufactures who still put HDDs in laptops.
>>
>>53708307
i don't think you realize how cheap oem's get hard drives.

low end SSDs will have to halve in price again to compete.
>>
>>53708349
it's worth it. Insanely worth it. Especially with all the bullshit that they install on boot
>>
>>53708362
again OEMs do not care what informed people think, the majority of buyers still do not know what an SSD is.

They see numbers like 120GB and 500GB and go for the more gigabytes because more gigabytes is better right? (and ignore that the CPU is an E1)

If you are spending less than 900 dollars you are already in the shit tier in their profit oriented minds.
>>
>>53708384
What stores should do is put 2 identical PCs, one with HDD and the other with an SSD and run some disk-intensive demos(booting, loading apps, moving files...) and let people decide which is better
>>
If laypeople have been gobbling up 1366x768 for years now, HDD in consumer laptops is gonna be around for at least a decade.
>>
>>53708459

Yea but some people simply cannot afford it. Some people want a laptop just to type stuff up.
>>
>>53707519
>giving a shit about boot time unless you're a wintard
it must suck wasting so much money on staying hip and trendy just to throw it all away with an operating system you have to restart every two hours
>>
Is it even worth it to get an SSD? My mobo only has SATA 2 (q6600, 8 gb ddr2 800mhz, a crappy graphics card, and a WD green 1tb)
>>
>>53709017
SSDs bring performance gains in every aspect of personal computing.
>>
>>53708463
Problem is todays generation are becoming more aware of technology. Even oldfags are starting to know a bit of a difference.
>>
>irrelevant performance gain because disk I/O is mainly at boot
>costs more
>dies significantly quicker
>>
I just got a hdd 1tb Sata III. Boots about 15 seconds. Chrome just lasts 2 seconds before opening for the first time. I'm pretty happy with these durations.

I don't use photoshop or anything like that. If boot times or apps start to bother me I'll just get a 120 gb ssd.
>>
>>53707519
I'd like to upgrade my laptop with a Western Digital Black2 combo drive, but it seems to be going UP in price instead of down.
>>
>>53709315
>disk I/O is mainly at boot

If by "at boot" you mean "consistently performed at all times" then yes.
>>
>muh precious read and write cycles
>>
File: 6216640218_864ccf0017_oedited.jpg (1 MB, 1694x1332) Image search: [Google]
6216640218_864ccf0017_oedited.jpg
1 MB, 1694x1332
>defending storage solutions that just throw a shit fit because they've been used for too many seconds
>oops, now all the data is gone
>gone forever
>>
>>53709032
Yes because seek times
>>53710040
Backups
>>
>>53709315
>disk I/O is mainly at boot
What is a pagefile?
>>
>>53707519
No one wants the weight of 2 disks, and capacity is more practical than any perceived speed increase.
>>
>>53707519
>he fell for the ssd meme
>>
>>53709315
buttjelly HDD user detected. EVERYTHING uses disk I/O, especially web browsers which cache tons of data. Placing the browser on a faster disk makes a difference. SSDs makes it fast, RAM disk will make you bust a nut.
>>
>>53709032
If you're going the poorfag route try ReadyBoost, you surely have a spare flash drive somewhere
>>
>>53710040
>>oops, now all the data is gone
werks4me. I've rarely seen that with SSD. I work in a datacenter and the HDDs take a shit more often. SSDs usually fail gracefully- it'll start throwing SMART warnings first, then eventually go into read only mode, but the data is still readable.
>>
>tfw PATA only
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.