[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm thinking of going to college to become a programmer/code
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: jeb_boots.jpg (58 KB, 555x608) Image search: [Google]
jeb_boots.jpg
58 KB, 555x608
I'm thinking of going to college to become a programmer/code monkey.
I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out what I should major in however.
I was thinking of getting an A.A.S. Of software development.
However, I'm not 100% sure this is the correct degree. Should I be getting a degree in computer science? Computer engineering? Is this a terrible idea all around? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>53707380
CS is your best bet
>>
>>53707380
math

raj and peng will replace you for half your pay if you go cs
>>
>>53636627
>>
>>53707455
Yes because the opportunities for a math degree are endless amirite? /s
>>
>>53707443
Care to elaborate?

>>53707463
75k doesn't sound bad at all.

Also, some things I should add:
Terrible gpa. I mean, simply abhorrent. I barely passed every class.
Act is meh, 26
So basically cheapest open admission is the way I'm going to be going, and probably not beyond a bachelor's ever.
Also I'm poor and won't have somewhere to stay forever, so I'd like to get on my feet ASAP, within 4 years ideally.
>>
Computer Science is not Software Engineering.

CS = computer scientist
SE = codemonkey
>>
File: cs.png (5 KB, 262x292) Image search: [Google]
cs.png
5 KB, 262x292
>>
>>53707530
And what exactly would being a computer scientist do for me? I enjoy listening to smooth jazz and writing stupid amounts of useless code in c#. I mainly solve math/programming problems ie project euler
>>
>>53707527
>75k doesn't sound bad at all.

This work is nothing like what are you doing in free time. If you have to surfer for next 50 years it should be atleast worth it financially
>>
>>53707562
Do you want to research and develop the future of computation, or do you want to create fart apps for your iPhone?
>>
>>53707540
>its easy to create an exascale supercomputer
okay
>>
>>53707654
I want to get paid as much money as possible for doing as little as possible with the smallest possible initial investment of money, time, and mental resources. I also want to sit in a comfy chair all day.
>>
>>53707494
More like learning essential leanguage
concepts and syntax for a specific job is 100x easier and faster then learning mathematics
>>
Nigga dont go to college to be a code monkey. Go to college to try to do some research.

>>53707540
>doesn't know that computer science is literally a branch of mathematics
>>
>>53707583
Well, you have public school teachers. Getting paid 6 figures by someone else is beyond rare, deal with it.
>>
>>53707693
Oh, you're one of THOSE people.
Your type get weeded out pretty quickly in CS.

You might be able to swing SE, but a lot get weeded out after their first programming class.
>>
>>53707463

It isn't, it is just that people don't know wtf computer is supposed to be about. I majored in computer science and I got a job working in machine learning @ $110k/yr. This was pretty much fresh out of college.
>>
>>53707754
I was mostly joking. But I was also just being realistic. If it were possible for me to have a job that I actually enjoyed it would be a nonexistent field in which I spend 50% of the day playing/listening to piano, guitar, etc. Then about 30% would be for writing code that solves various math problems that I find interesting in efficient ways. The remaining 20% would be spent researching anything that interested me that day. I believe this career is called being born rich. But since I can't do that, yeah, I'd like to do something simple but moderately interesting that will sustain me, but leave me enough time left over to do the things above.
>>
>>53707754
oh come on, cs is nothing special or nothing hard, it is just another job for most people 95% of cs graduates will end up writting shitty web forms for a lifetime.

With every year robots will take more and more of today human works, its natural trend that those people will move to work in cs.

It is no longer 60', cs is not magic
>>
>>53707816
I worked in advising at my school's CS department. >60% dropped out or changed majors before their sophomore year; failing calculus 2 or data structures were the top reasons.
>>
>>53707859
people on 4chan don't realize that the general population is not as autistic as them

yea programming is pretty easy if you can sit down and stare at curly braces and semicolons for a few years, but most normies aren't into it at all, and give up at the first signs of frustration
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.