[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
got tired of windows, changing to linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6
File: image.png (21 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
image.png
21 KB, 384x384
guys, i finally made a decision
i am going to install linux after using windows over a very long time
but i have never used linux and i have no idea where to start.
what should i do? where do i start?
i hope you guys can help me
>>
>>53707082
Www.google.com
Google is a leading distributor of operating systems built on the Linux kernel.
>>
>>53707082
Get fedora, go about your day as you were before, forget that you're using linux
>>
>>53707082
Read the sticky and the friendly Iinux thread.
>>
>>53707082
start with crappy oses like ubuntu just so you can learn how to use the shell commands, then move to arch-linux, then move to some obscure versions of linux like Parabola or Dragora. Of course you can also use plan9 right from the getgo.
>>
enjoy your no games and shitty support nerd
>>
xubuntu or install cinammon on whatevr distro
>>
Get a real Unix and the best Unix is OSX. So build a hackintosh or buy apple.
>>
>>53707127
Get ubuntu, go about your day as you were before, forget that you're using linux

(and enjoy a system that actually works)
>>
random question: can i install visual studio 2015 on linux?
>>
>>53707082
I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!
>>
>>53707082
Get Ubuntu. Read forums, watch videos, read stuff and learn stuff. I personally plan on sticking with Ubuntu after trying a bunch of other distros, and I ran arch for a few months. I just prefer Ubuntu. And you can make it look nice.
>>
>>53707225
as i say.>>53707215

I agree desu.
just get xubuntu or whatever the fuck you want.in 2016. you want something that works.
>>
File: manjaromasterrace.png (591 B, 125x150) Image search: [Google]
manjaromasterrace.png
591 B, 125x150
http://manjaro.github.io/
>>
>>53707215
Any of the *buntus will probably be fine. Linux Mint also.
>>
>>53707336
no
>>
>>53707336
>linux mint
No.
>>
ubuntu = botnet
>>
Does Mnajaro Net-Edition work with wifi?
>>
>>53707353
>>53707368
Nothing wrong with it as a moving-to-linux distro
>>
>>53707127
>>53707215
>>53707224
>>53707225
>>53707287
>>53707298
>>53707323
>>53707336
>>53707400
>fedora
>xfce
>cinnamon
>OSX
>ubuntu
>oh-my-zsh
>unity
>manjaro
>mint
all this shit taste holy shit
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-15_17-37-59.png (970 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-15_17-37-59.png
970 KB, 1600x900
>>53707525
this 2016 nigga

lemme guesss

gentoo i3?
>>
>>53707525
all this pointless elitism holy shit
>>
File: 168.png (300 KB, 500x274) Image search: [Google]
168.png
300 KB, 500x274
>>53707082
NOTE: ONLY use Debian-based distros or Gentoo
Anything Arch-based DOES NOT WORK and WILL fuck you over in the long run.

That's my word of advice, but of course you want listen to it and instead follow allof these autists and become another linux-hating manbabby, you can't save everyone.
>>
>>53707577
>being this retarded
Arch is fine, debian is a lot more stable though.
>>
>>53707082
Get Mint Cinnamon. It will feel very familiar to Windows but also be a good introduction to how LInux works and what is different. Watch videos on migrating to linux and shit. Set up a VM, watch videos on other distros and install in the VM to test them out to find out what you like.
>>
fuck it, i changed my mind, ill stick with windows 7
>>
>>53707082
Linux Mint with Cinnamon.
>>
>>53707538
Numix cuck detected
>>
>>53707082
You should have made a jump in year 2007, now it`s too late.
>>
>>53707525
>oh-my-zsh

i dont have the autism to care setting it up myself, id much rather someone else did
>>
transitioning to arch is a commitment that you should be adequately prepared for.

The arch BB, Wiki and Google go a long way. I've used Arch exclusively at home since about 2011 and I've never had to post a question on their BB. Everything is very well-documented but you need to be willing to learn how to use it.

alternatively you could just go with another distribution. Arch is nice because you have pacman and the AUR. Updates can fuck shit up, but if there are any major fuck-shit-up updates, they usually post instructions for manual intervention on their frontpage.

maybe install different versions of linux on a throwaway/cheap PC and see what you like.
>>
>>53708869
>transitioning to arch is a commitment
I know you're secretly just trying to get him to not use it, but taking this at face value is hilarious on its own.

>Ubuntu = just works
>Obscure timesink B = Life choice
>>
>>53707082
start w ubuntu or mint or some ez one, if you're interested in really getting to know linux, get acclimated to an ez one then move on to things like debian and/or arch then yeah whatever

just don't use the stock ubuntu cancer unity desktop
>>
>>53710383
>ez
>too fucking stupid to write easy

what's wrong with you?
>>
Elementary OS
>>
>>53710383
This. Make absolutely sure to not use the ubuntu that comes with unity, as there is absolutely, positively no way to ever change it. Billions of basement scientists have toiled away for years trying to figure out how to uninstall unity from ubuntu, it simply isn't possible. By the way guys I spent six weeks customizing my obscure tilingwm exactly the way I want it just don't use ubuntu
>>
>>53707082
One thing you need to learn when switching to Linux distributions is ethics of asking questions. No one minds a newcomer who is asking questions but if interrupts others it's not really okay. For example we have a thread where newcomers are more than welcome to ask questions "friendly linux thread".

In short the point you should start is learning how to find solutions to your problems as you are going to face a lot of them in Linux distributions.

Also why is no one using sage option. Why is this quite unrelated and unnnecessary thread is at the top?
>>
Go Fedora with Cinnamon.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.