[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Applefags of /g/ What would take for you to abandon their products?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 7
File: bgr-iphone-6-9.jpg (121 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
bgr-iphone-6-9.jpg
121 KB, 1000x667
Applefags of /g/

What would take for you to abandon their products?
>>
nuclear winter
>>
>>53706823
Transorbital lobotomy.
>>
>>53706823
Lowering their prices.
>>
any of the following would probably be enough:
- bad OS fragmentation/year-old devices getting left behind in OS updates
- really noticeable degradation of app quality compared to today
- maybe a complete loss of perspective with regard to battery life needs or something
- prices could skyrocket from where they are now
- etc...

There's a lot that Apple could do to lose their customers. But they would basically have to dramatically stumble relative their competition, and if you look at the Android ecosystem and most laptops running Windows by default, there's a surprising amount of latitude.
>>
A superior alternative
>>
>>53706823
If they made carriers send out iOS updates. But that's a stupid Idea and will never happen.
>>
If I found the CEO was gay or "bisexual".
>>
>>53706823
For Android to not be shitty.
>>
>>53708255
same
>>
>>53708223
this
it's the least-bad option available
>>
If they were cheaper than Android phones
>>
>>53708255
This

>>53708300
And this
>>
>>53708223
Yep. To be more specific, superior *software*. There's plenty of excellent handsets out there but Android is painfully unimpressive.

The situation with desktop software isn't quite as bad (Linux can be made viable with work) but nothing compares with OS X for being decent to use right out of the box. Linux comes second thanks to package management, and Windows is dead last with having practically nothing useful preinstalled and requiring you to download installers from random websites for hours before you can do anything.
>>
Android/google ditching the material design meme.

I jumped ship as soon as lollipop arrived and never looked back. Ugly white screens, gay colors, big stupid button in the middle of the srceen, side menus and retarded space usage. Never again.
>>
>>53706823
Getting a little closer to jumping the Apple ship.

The mac notebooks are genuinely well built and for the most part pleasant to use, but more importantly than this is that they are a real *nix with the capability of natively running my *nix apps, while also being able to natively run many high quality proprietary softwares polished for OS X.

As of current I own an Android phone, specifically the Galaxy Note 5. And you know, I like it. I won't say its battery life is as good as an iPhone would be. It certainly has strange glitches where I have to kill the phone app more often than I should, but those issues are a lot lesser and I no longer find issues with mainstay Android devices that are very problematic. Before every Android device I've owned was always problematic to some degree and have even cost me life opportunities and caused problems for being always dead and/or buggy.

As far as the Mac notebooks go. The advantages I mentioned above are becoming less significant against all the freaking bugs emerging, and the utter silence from Apple regarding some very long standing issues with the operating system. I could easily go back to using some variant of Linux, and perhaps even just using Windows and I would honestly say either one would have less odd glitches than what is going on with my notebook's current OS as of late.

I might jump. At some point it has to be so aggravating I am willing to move over all my shit and forsake the proprietary softwares I like for mac that either don't exist for Linux or don't work as well.
>>
>>53708433
hackintosh
>>
>>53708456
That's like all the problems Apple is causing me combined with never being able to update because my system depends on hacked/custom kernel extensions to operate properly that apple updates keep wiping out. I know some systems are more hackintosh friendly than others, but I've had one of the best kinds and I still found it painful. No thanks.
>>
It would have to stop being convenient. I can buy an iDevice without doing any research and be content with the user experience, whereas doing the same with an Android/WinMo/RT/10 device is playing russian roulette with the possibility of getting a substandard device and/or no updates. I put a lot of time and effort into my desktop computer (which runs linux), but don't have the same interest in my telephone, which I would prefer to just work. Apple would have to severely fuck me over to push me off the platform.
>>
>>53708480
This is one of the most severe problems on the phone front. My Galaxy Note 5, while I enjoy it, JUST GOT MARSHMALLOW.

The way Google handles development of Android makes it impossible for their hardware partners to deliver updates in any reasonable timeframe and to make matters worse most of them actually don't care in the first place and the carriers have no incentive to fight for their customers to be treated better in this regard because they are locked into a contract or device payment plan with many months left to go anyways.
>>
>>53708480
So you have GNU/Linux on desktop and an iPhone? How do you sync music and pdfs?
>>
Not really a Applefag, have had multiple androids in the past but prefer Apple because of a cleaner UI.
>>
File: image.png (95 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
95 KB, 750x1334
A serious answer; I don't know. The meizu pro with Ubuntu touch looks cool, but I doubt application support is good. I'd need a mobile phone with application support superior to iOS (not only quantity but quality).

I expect my phone to get the next 4 major iOS updates (based on iPhone 4s)
It would have to be the size of the iPhone 6 or smaller, all metal design, have a better SoC than what Apple makes, same of better level of optimization and quality control, same or better camera (inb4 18MP, there's more to photography than pixels), an ecosystem that is integrated, that works together, but it's a cluster fuck like Windows (currently only Apple has this, two distinct platforms but they work together)

Same or better security, a company that. Doesn't have shity values, same amount of radio bands or better, same or better voice assistant (not just results but natural speech) it would have to have something comparable to spotlight, Siri suggestions, continuity, and other iOS features, and it would have to have hardware support that garuntees free or low cost replacement for devices with manufacturing defects, which I believe only Apple has.

And this is just off the top of my head.
Give me a phone that has all this, and I'll consider it.

>>53708532
I dorm use iTunes unless I want music/movies in the default player. Usually I transfer over wifi to the app i want it in. If an app doesn't support wifi transfer, I put it in documents app and "Open In" using the share sheet
>>
>>53708532
People sync files with their phones still? Everything is in my email account, calendar, and online storage, and I haven't synced any music since {Spotify, Google Music, Pandora, iTunes Radio, Amazon}.
>>
>>53708561
>but isn't a cluster fuck
>I don't use iTunes

Sorry for typos lads
>>
>>53706823
Having a decent OS on any other phone
>>
>>53708566
>muh cloud

Normies plz go.
>>
>>53708596
Just being pragmatic. Anything else today is just insane and impractical. Even if I hated cloud providers, I'd just run my own servers to do all the same things anyways.
>>
I like how nobody here understands anything and think OP asked what it would take to SWITCH TO APPLE, instead of the other way around.
>>
>>53708630
>applefags what would it take for you to switch TO apple?

that doesn't make sense, anon.
>>
>>53708630
OP here, nope. I meant what it would take to ditch apple.

English not my first language though, sorry about that.
>>
>>53708645
No, you said it right. Dummies can't read. Like this >>53708639 idiot.
>>
>>53708661
You literally just misread what you criticized. Reading this post just now made me die a little inside.
>>
I'm not an 'Applefag' I just use iOS because all my friends/coworkers/dates use iMessage
>>
>>53708685
Take a second and read what I wrote. I said that people thought he asked what it would take to switch to Apple when he asked what it'd take for people with Apple to drop them. Don't be a dummy, I never liked a dummy.
>>
>>53708661
why would applefags switch TO apple? The OP was correct in meaning "What would it take for you to ditch apple" and anons posted accordingly. What is your deal?

>>53708685
I like to think we are being rused.
>>
Another company with the same focus and goals. I like Apple's philosophy. They like all-in-ones, everything to be integrated and to work seamlessly with each other. Like an organism. The downfalls is that they're the only ones doing it for the most part.

Hell, someone needs to do what Apple is doing and with Linux.
>>
>>53708698
Well that's just a ridiculous reason unless everyone you know just refuses to not use facetime or something. It's not like carriers even charge for texts anymore so if the messages forward to SMS you won't care.
>>
>>53708703
I was pointing out the dummies who read it the other way like
>>53708300
>>
>>53708703
>I like to think we are being rused.

No, you both lack reading comprehension.
>>
Dunno. I suppose I may consider if the 5S' support was abandoned sooner than the previous models have been.
>>
>>53708715
I took >>53708300 as a joke. As in "the expense of an iPhone is what draws in the applefags" And if they were cheaper than android then they would lose their appeal.
>>
>>53708753
It's not a joke. I was dead serious but otherwise you were correct
>>
>>53706823
Cheaper price. Notification light for the iPhone, drop iTunes, plug and play USB drive.
>>
>>53708709
That would be a very hard thing to do. Apple manages to compete with Android and Windows because they are a popular and premium brand at the same time.

If another company tries to enter the market with a different OS and different hardware they are going to be eaten alive.
>>
>>53708784
Alright, fuck this dumb thread. I'm out.
>>
>>53708796
ok thanks for letting us know.
>>
>>53708738
Not him but how many year of support do you guys reckon the 5S still has?
>>
>>53708865

2 - 4 years. The 4S received iOS 9.
>>
>>53708888
quads confirm 4 years.

Thank you based Apple
>>
>>53706823
Macs died for me with the Intel switch, and tablets are shit to begin with, but as far as phones go, just give me something worth switching to.

I don't give a fuck about specs or tinkering on a facebook toy, if I want to do something actually productive, I'll pull out a real computer. Give me something that looks and feels professional, with a long battery life and a decent camera instead of an ugly pandering piece of shit for trendy college students who can't afford iShit devices and buy whatever the salesman tells them has the BIGGEST NUMBERS
>>
>Applefags of /g/
>What would take for you to abandon their products?
I would have to stop being a faggot, and since I'm an applefag I can't stop sucking dicks
>>
>>53709014
haha epic! screencapped for epic thread bro
>>
>>53708713
Not that ridiculous actually. Never owned an iphone. Been on the galaxy train since inception and im switching when the iphone 7 comes out. Bc phones are much more social than a pc it pays to be a part of your group.

'Multimedia messages' get seriously fucked up when someone from a group text messages me or i message them (broken up/ out of order) I would say 75% of people i text/call use iphones and with kids etc some facetime... nobody is going to download skype just for the few times i need it.

Finally the camera, though it may have fewer pixels etc is typically better in low light (most pics i take) and look better in general.

Phone/text/email/camera/gps. Those are the things i use on my phone daily and apple either has all others beat or uses the same apps anyway. Android based phone manufacturers have some cool ish first like being waterproof but apple catches up and these little gimicks or nice features are not really part of daily use anyway.
>>
>>53709014
Ah man you sure got me! Haha great comment kid, well meme'd, do you mind if I use it myself? While we're talking about memes have you heard of the latest and greatest? It's a new meme from the Taiwanese basket selling forum, it's called
w e w l a d
e
w
l
a
d
>>
>>53706823
Well, as somebody who loves his macbook and is going to switch from Android first time for SE ...

>hardware
>laptops
16:10 screens, trackpad gestures, premium feel and looks, great screen/keyboard/trackpad, light ... haven't seen any alternatives yet and only MS still got 16:10 screens.

>hardware
>phones
fast, great camera, not the size of a tablet, appealing design, under 600 bucks ... is this really too much to ask? Even if Android had perfect software, there is not a single appealing phone.

Now the hard part is software, something that just works, doesn't spy or annoy you, doesn't carelessly use your hardware, has a unified UI, looks pretty and get's updated for years. I don't have the time nor don't want to put any fucking effort in my software to work. I never had a single fucking issue with OSX (unless when using their beta software) and I don't see any issues on iPhones, unless the people are braindead and put too much cancer on it.

If you buy a mac, the shit works, right away from the box. Install w/e program you need and you're good to go. No need to worry about anything else. Also there is no degradation over time.

If you buy an iPhone, the shit works too and will be supported for years to come. Don't need to download ROMs and flashtools just to get software that was released last year. Also the lagdroid meme is real and while I didn't care about it when phones were dirt cheap back in the day, it's quite pathetic now, specially with the prices they ask for.
>>
The removal of iMessage. It works ACROSS all my iDevices SEAMLESSLY
>>
File: 05d.jpg (27 KB, 324x236) Image search: [Google]
05d.jpg
27 KB, 324x236
>>53706865
Genuinely lolled.
>>
>>53709621
Damn, I just with people actually used this shit here so I could be part of the blue bubble master race.

In two years with my iPhone I literally never sent a message with it.
>>
>>53709647
I just wish**

fixd
>>
>>53709647
I'd send you one but is probably get doxxed
>>
Macshitosh
>>
>>53709647
Damn dude. Do you not have any friends?

Now that I think about it I don't even send them either. All my friends use WhatsApp.
>>
>>53709694
Everyone uses whatsapp here too. Nobody uses SMS/iMessage.

The only SMS I receive are from my bank.
>>
>>53706823
If they implement touchjizz interface
>>
>>53709729
That would make me leave apple too. If they start allowing custom launchers/icons.

I'll just move to WP if that happens
>>
I think I wouldn't use anything else than a MacBook. Because OSX is my favorite OS, and if apple fucks it up in the future, I could just use former versions. I can't see good alternatives now.
>>
>>53708357
So you prefer being limited to what design language Apple chooses next, instead of customizing it to your own liking

>being this stupid
>not liking material design
Honestly senpai, there's no hope for you, stay with Apple like a good goy
>>
>>53709621

Yeah texting from OS X is pretty nice. Pushbullet worked fine with Android through Firefox but holy fuck the Pushbullet mac app was absolute garbage for iOS.
>>
>>53706823
A better operating system
>>
>>53710898
Yeah, cause Ive has a better eye for things than the poo in loos
>>
>>53706823
I bought my 6S Plus because I wanted to try iOS. I'll go back to Android if it's true they'll take the 3.5mm headphone jack off the iPhone 7.
>>
Another phone that becomes more mainstream and popular. I'm pretty sure most people only buy one because they think friends and popularity come as part of the contract.
>>
> Android phones being supported and updated for more than 12 months
> consistency in tactile response across devices; some feel good and snappy and some feel garbage, yet are the same generation of phone
>>
A global menu bar that works in OpenBSD
>>
A better alternative.
>>
But I have
>>
>>53706823
I'm not giving you ideas, androidcuckshillshit
>>
A full featured Linux distribution that is as well integrated and feature full as OS X, which doesn't run into hardware or battery problems.
And perhaps customer support that will not try to fuck me over. (apple fucks you over sometimes too, but in most of my cases they usually replace everything needed for free)
This is really just it, I would love to be able to buy a new XPS or thinkpads and throw Linux on it, but from experience Linux does not play well with laptops in a lot of departments.
>>
>>53713834
C++ isn't /g/ and neither is python
you failed
>>
consistent app design
regular updates
literally
>>
>>53710898
Apps are the worst part.

Using some ugly icon packs and widgets doesn't change the design language of anything, just makes it more inconsistent.
>>
3.5mm jack
>>
And switch to what? Windows? Android?
>>
Even The Verge says the Samsung S7 is better than the iPhone in every aspect except software, the part of the phone you actually use. I can't stand Touchwiz, but the current Nexus 6P is too big.

If there were some way to get stock Android onto an S7 edge I would drop my iPhone 6 in the trash tomorrow.
>>
>>53713430
It's kind of amazing how hard it is to get a global menu for your typical X-based *nix desktop that works with ALL applications. Even with global menubars that are designed to work with both GTK and Qt, from time to time you'll run into a program where the dev decided to be a fucking snowflake and use some random-ass UI toolkit that nobody has even heard of and thus doesn't work with your global menubar.

I'd be very happy if a second major platform with a global menubar showed up. Window-attached menubars drive me up a wall.
>>
Uhmm i'm very close to leaving.
Since the last keynote when they released the iPhone SE i just thought. OMG how many times are they gonna sell the same product to us, with the same fucking design.
>>
>>53717641
iPads and Macbooks had the same design since forever, there is no need to change what is perfect.
>>
OP

I've been using Windows (and sometimes linux) for most of my life on computers, ever since 98SE. I always wanted alternatives but stuck with it because I always loved games and I was poor as all fuck anyways.

So for the last years I've been meaning to switch over, and over, and over to linux. But I can't stick with it because I have performance issues with the same PC I'm capable of using for something like Fallout 4 just fine on high settings. So it pissed me the fuck off because I really, really wanted to switch to something else, even if I had to dualboot, just do most of my tasks somewhere else. My eyes started to highly dislike all the fucking whiteness and the font rendering that I was used to for years made me somehow feel pretty bad, specially when using recent phones. As if they can never, ever improve on it. I get that my display is not hDPI but still, linux distros wield much better results for me in that aspect. Font smoothing there was really nice, but like I said, plain desktop performance was not good at all, unless I was willing to use a really lightweight DE or turn off compositing and effects.

So then I noticed this PC could use a little hackintosh. I tried it way back in 2006 maybe? I don't even fucking remember, but it was a horrible experience I subjected myself to for a whole month without learning much. However, El Capitan feels sweet as fuck. I have no choppy animations, a few things that need to be fixed can be fixed with a few programs, it's pretty easy on the eyes and such.

However leaving now is a bit more of a chore than I could imagine. I spent probably about a whole year and a half worth of time in linux distros and what not, yet I could stick with this within days.

So what would take for me to abandon this product though? One thing. Make DEs on linux with a little bit more than a taskbar and a file manager without thumbnails run better.
>>
>>53717821
Too bad the iPhone 5 wasn't perfect.

Those fucking chamfers made that phone uncomfortable to hold after long periods of time.
>>
File: 3656232347_57f7ccd49a_o.jpg (3 MB, 3888x2592) Image search: [Google]
3656232347_57f7ccd49a_o.jpg
3 MB, 3888x2592
>>53718117
The 4/4S wasn't much better in that regard. really, the last comfy flagship Apple phone was the 3GS.
>>
>>53718117
Just get a ruber case if you have soft girly hands faggot.
>>
>>53708955
I remember feeling like a special snowflake running PowerPC too, but there really was no future for the architecture inside laptops. Apple moved to cooler, more efficient X86 chips right at the time where desktop sales started to drag and everyone wanted a laptop.
>>
File: 1370895492170.png (886 KB, 1186x1472) Image search: [Google]
1370895492170.png
886 KB, 1186x1472
>>53708357
>Material design looks ugly
>>
>>53706823
They stop making the best computers, phones, tablets and wearables
>>
>>53719968
Honestly the thing that mostly hurts me is the white text on random background. Besides there's a pretty visible difference between top and bottom. Like someone spending 10 minutes on Illustrator like I did once with a Galaxy S4
>>
>>53714635
This and I would switch to linux.

Ubuntu with Unity is -sort- of close in terms of features and performance but not quite.
>>
File: iPhone_6_MG_1953.jpg (748 KB, 3000x2000) Image search: [Google]
iPhone_6_MG_1953.jpg
748 KB, 3000x2000
>>53719968
>implying

They cant even be compared
>>
>>53720037
This, and the drop shadows in material design feel out of place and don't really add much.

Also, floating buttons over content is dumb because there's a huge chance of people mis-tapping and accidentally tapping the content instead of button, resulting in a totally unintended action. On top of that, it causes visual noise. Buttons should really be on a bar with a functionally inert background unless they have a damned good reason to float.
>>
>>53717595
It sucks, tit's pretty much the only thing keeping me on OS X
>>
>>53706823

the racewar
>>
>>53719968
man i dont understand the material design meme, it's hard to tell where shit is because there's no borders.

in a normal world applel would let you change your icons but no
>>
>>53714644

Okay, I'll bite. Why not? Because they're not memes like Lisp and Assembly?
>>
>>53713834
What is a mechanical keyboard?
>>
Trolling aside I genuinely don't understand what you love about it, my brother has had every single version of that thing and I just don't like it. I even have a 4s here and it's screen is worse than a 1st gen moto g
I imagine it must be habit because I just don't see the superiority you guys are talking about
>>
>>53706823
I could switch to Windows, but I honestly have no clue how to do anything on that fucking system. It would probably feel like writing with my left hand for a few months. It just seems to make so many things more complicated than they could be.

Linux on the other hand is pretty cool. I've been using Xubuntu every now and then and it's a great system. The only problem I have with it is the lack of proprietary support. There's just too much software that's not available for Linux that I would surely miss.

So, the answer is pretty much: A grown up Linux with significant proprietary support would almost certainly make me switch in the long run.
>>
>>53722917
When speaking about screens it's more than pure PPI that counts. I own a Pixel C and an iPad Air 2 and while the Pixel C has way higher PPI than the iPad does, its backlight does this weird thing where it has a sort of "brightness gradient" that changes depending on which angle your look at the screen. It's especially visible at low brightness settings (like you might use when reading in bed).

The iPad doesn't do this at all - its backlight is consistent no matter how you look at it - and while the PPI difference is moderately visible the Pixel C's backlight weirdness renders the difference moot.
>>
>>53722917
Oh, I don't know, how about

>faster
>best design
>better looking and more functional UI
>best apps
>best screen
>great battery life
>best 1st and 3rd party support
>software updates
>>
>With regards to their MacBook Pro range:
-- This obsession with thinness at the expense of actual power (the thing this line of "PRO" products actually are for).
-- Dumbing down of the OS to match the "iOS experience"
-- Pricing -- this is probably the biggest issue. I got the last non-retina MBP in 2012 and paid just over €2000 for it. It was just below the top-of-the-line option -- it was maxed out except for the small CPU performance boost that would've cost €300-400.
Today, the same maxed-out MBPr would cost me around €3700.
It's fucking insane and it shows no sign of stopping.
I actually fear Apple launching a MBP Super Pro, seeing as there is an iPad Pro and there'll probably be an iPhone Pro.

>With regard to iPhone:
There's no way iOS could get as bad an Android and its fragmented OS. The messy app store, the sub-par apps, the phones that come out never to be updated to a newer OS. It's just a shitshow.

That said, on any Linux distro I can't get apps like Ableton Live, the VSTs I use, the photo and video editor apps.

I'd find it a bitter pill to swallow to have to go to MS.
They've too broad a base to please, just like Android -- also, botnet.
>>
>>53718215
The 4/4s is the most beautiful phone ever designed.
The 4s has also aged very well -- iOS 9 works very well for me and the 8mp camera still looks amazing.
I actually only changed up to the 6s last week as I wanted to give my 4s to my wife.
>>
>>53723216
To add to this:

I fucking hate the new MacBooks. They're so damn slow, it's embarrassing.
Also, if you want a 15-inch laptop, Apple is essentially forcing you to buy a €2000+ laptop.
I'd love a 15-inch MBA, but it would probably have a hard time with music, photo and video software.
>>
Android programmed in assembly instead of Java.
>>
Android fixing the touch latency.
>>
>>53723094
>faster
Barely
>best design
Disagree
>better ui
No
>beat screen
There's plenty of phones with screens that shit all over it
>battery life
Yeah that's true
>best support
No
>updates
Yeah I've seen what updates do to my brother's phone when there's a new iPhone out
>>
>>53706823
If they allowed android to use imessage.

Damn them for being so good at being bastards.
>>
>>53706823
>no lag
>non retarded layout
>take the Indians out the App Store
>betters battery life
>better camera
>just werk
Honestly android layout is pretty fucking retarded. You have a multi touch device yet the developers want everything to be point and choose. Where's the touch gestures?
Also where's the fucking text selection? Shit sucks balls senpai. It's like the don't want you to actually use it.
>>
>>53722917
>I even have a 4s here and it's screen is worse than a 1st gen moto g
Maybe because the 4S came 2 years before the 1st moto g
>>
>>53706823
Windows phone becoming really good, but with freedom one expects on a PC, no need to jailbreak.
>>
>>53723838
If only it had good apps

and google apps
Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.