[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best custom rom for you ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4
File: 2016-03-26-21-42-51--46676390.jpg (7 KB, 304x166) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-26-21-42-51--46676390.jpg
7 KB, 304x166
What's the best custom rom for you ?
>>
iOS
>>
>>53706031
stock google with xposed tweaks
>>
Used to be slim but now that they're dead I have to put up with CM
>>
Most ROMs I use are AOSP with an extra tweak menu in the settings. Right now it's Pure Nexus
>>
>>53706031
CM, don't let some 14 year old Indian kid control your phone's OS.
>>
>>53706031
The one I use is Tru Pure X, which is a stock based ROM for the moto x.

Other than that CM and bliss Roms are pretty good.
>>
Chroma on Nexus 5.
>>
>>53706260

When people say they are using AOSP do you mean you are using stock Android, or some even more version without GAPPS at all?
>>
>>53706401
stock including gapps, although the gapps are installed separately so I don't need crap like Play Books or Play Games etc
>>
>>53706401
AOSP ROMs are ROMs that are typically forked directly from AOSP and then modded so that they have more features and are generally likeable. AOSP is flashable and useable by itself but it just lacks a lot of core features you'd find in a stock ROM.
>>
>>53706482
yeah too bad most AOSP forks are made by 15yo street shitters to make AOSP work on older phones and god knows what kind of crap they stuff in it
>>
>>53706559
This is why I miss roms like AOSPA and Slim. CM is like the only good fork but CM is so vastly different and ever since they went corporate they lost a lot of stability and compatibility. Roms are now either considered stock-based, AOSP-based, or CM-based.
>>
>>53706559
Even ghetto ass ROMs like that are often an improvement over vendor shit. Nexus line and Moto devices are the only ones worth using stock IMO
>>
>>53706597
Moto x pure here. Even for moto and Nexus devices there are debloated stock based Roms that are better than full stock.
>>
>>53706587
>>53706597
Yeah they're an improvement especially over touchjizz, i run an AOSP curry fork on my old Galaxy Grand along with a custom kernel for it and the thing runs like a ferrari, even my apple fanboi friend was amazed, but you never know what kind of shit is running under the hood sadly.
When i get more time i'll try debloating stock on one of my backups to see how it runs.
>>
Stock ROM, Moto G 3. Used to use various ROMs on older devices, but I've not even rooted this one. Prefer my warranty over some software developed by some currynigger that doesn't work properly. I'll probably root it once the warranty is up, but until it's officially unsupported by Motorola, I'll be staying stock.
>>
File: banner.png (203 KB, 5130x1955) Image search: [Google]
banner.png
203 KB, 5130x1955
>>53706031
Best custom roms id say is pac man roms, they pack paranoid android, dirty unicorn and cyanogen mod tweaks besides their own customizations.
I personally use Cyanogen mod, I dont care that much about privacy to get paranoid android or tweaks and shit like dirty unicorn, that said i used to have an htc with liquid smooth os, one of the bes roms ive ever tried, but it was like 3 years ago. So yeah, Cyanogen mod does work for me.
>>
>>53706750
Isn't PAC a combination of paranoid Android, AOKP, and CM?
Where did dirty unicorns come from?
>>
File: aokp-rezound.png (125 KB, 550x516) Image search: [Google]
aokp-rezound.png
125 KB, 550x516
>>53706778
>>
>>53706791
What is this sorcery?
I never knew they were the same thing.
>>
>>53706778
im sorry my mistake, i saw the unicorn and somehow associated, but i guess my point is still clear.
>>
>>53706482

Are there are AOSP-based ROMs that are focused on being as open-source/privacy-oriented as possible (like no GAPPs, comes with F-Droid instead, etc. for a Nexus 5? I know I could do it myself but I figured there should be demand for something like this and it would be nice to just have a fully functioning ROM that's like this out of the box.
>>
>>53706482
>>53706401
There's AOSP and AOSP-based roms.
>>
>>53706893
Literally any aosp ROM. Just don't flash Gapps.
>>
>>53706893
>wanting a freetard rom
There's replicant. Enjoy your completely functional phone.
>>
>>53706894

Are all ROMs based on AOSP? Or is it possible to go wrong when choosing one?

>>53706975

It doesn't have to be presonally approved by RMS but I just don't want Google or any other cloud crap pre-installed. Even CM has their own cloud account shit.
>>
>>53707054
Almost all roms are based on aosp.
>>
>>53707054
>>53707072
>Ubuntu touch
>sailfish
No.

People tend to differentiate between CM-based and AOSP-based roms, even though CM is AOSP-based.
>>
>>53707677
So basically, almost all.
>>
GPE ROM using xposed with gravity box. Has almost everything CM has without Pajeet's instability.
>>
>>53708148
Not directly.
>>
>>53706031
Touchwiz.
>>
I used to use custom ROMs,

Then I realized I cant trust my device to run software altered by unknown random people that easily could have snuck in a a few lines of codes anywhere in the thousands of compiled files giving them root access.

Now I stick with stock or official CM builds
>>
CyanogenMod. Great support for the Nexus, and I have confidence they'll still be around in 3-4 years when I still want updates for my phone.
>>
CM11
>>
CM 13 did wonders to my potato S3. It works like a charm, the only thing I miss is xposed but it was worthy nevertheless.
>>
>>53707054
>Even CM has their own cloud account shit.
CM wanted to compete with google. What other roms do that? I've heard about them but I've yet to come across a ROM that has gapps preinstalled.
>>
aosp
>>
>>53710706
What? Xposed is working on CM13.
>>
I've used a lot of roms, but I eventually returned to rooted stock on my sony phone.

CM, Omni, AOSP.. - everything had bugs. The camera wouldn't work, the sound would be too loud, when I called people, they'd either hear an echo or wouldn't hear me at all, and most importantly, the battery life was horrible.

>>53706750
Isn't Paranoid Android AOSP with some extra useful additions? I don't think it had anything for your privacy.
>>
I use Sultan's MM ROM on my Oneplus One. Rated as one of the best ROMs for OPO, at least from what I've read. Lots of cleaned up CM bullshit and supposedly has great optimisations under the hood.
>>
>>53706648
which is why, coming from the old 4.2.2 slimrom and now moving to rr 6.0.1 and now at cm13, i'll try and delete all those unneeded system apps. shitty bugs pisses me off though
>>
Cm because its the best
>>
Chroma on my Nexus 4
>>
>>53706031
Honestly, in the early days of using my nexus5 it was paranoid android for all the great features they had going on.

After that I just stayed on stock on my g4
>>
CM 13
>>
>>53706298
How ironic
>>
>>53714344
CyanogenMod is an incorporated business with major partnerships. This irony you speak of must be lost on me.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.