[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Just Install Debian thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 10
File: debian.jpg (18 KB, 635x307) Image search: [Google]
debian.jpg
18 KB, 635x307
Debian has big development team. Debian is designed to not go down and to not break, and if you follow the Debian Way it will not.

Debian uses stable packages, not old packages. Don't suffer from shiny new stuff syndrome. Actually need the newest version? Backport the package, it's super easy.

Seriously, just install Debian.

Are you using Arch, and unsure why, but new stuff is probably nice? Use Debian sid, live on the bleeding edge.

Debian works just as fine on your Desktop as on your server, no dissonance when switching. Get to know Debian well, and you are a god.

Get Debian with your favourite DE or WM. Debian loves all, and does not discriminate.

My only regret, is that I did not Just Install Debian sooner.
>>
Greetings, Op.

Why do you type like this?

Is this a new meme of some kind?

I think it looks weird.

Or maybe the enter key is broken and fires twice every time.

But then again this thread fucking sucks and so do you.

btw I run Debian on my home server
>>
>>53705386
Good on you, anon.

I hope your server will last a thousand years.
>>
File: bd-old1.jpg (65 KB, 604x453) Image search: [Google]
bd-old1.jpg
65 KB, 604x453
>shilling for a linux distro

what has your life sunk to?
>>
>>53705531
Hatred towards rupees
>>
>>53705531
No anon, Debian does not cost money.
>>
>>53705531
FUCK this hits so close to home ;_;
>>
>>53705366
Gentoo
>>
>>53705698
Is your mom a great baker as well?
>>
File: bd-old2.jpg (67 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
bd-old2.jpg
67 KB, 960x720
>>53705698
maybe you should have been a better son anon
>>
File: 1447829302857.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
1447829302857.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
>>53705698
since this is /g/ i'm not going to keep going. but linux is not always the answer
>>
>>53705366
Debian master race.
>>
>>53705531
>implying anyone who uses linux earns money.
>>
>>53705698
>>53705737
>>53705760

The dead look in their eyes. Horrifying.
>>
>>53705531
>>53705737
>>53705760
Collecting these probably classifies as a mental illness by its own.
>>
>>53705920
And yet I cannot look away. The abyss gazes back at me, beckoning.
>>
>>53705760
Wow, this picture is fucked.
>>
>>53705366
>Use Debian sid, live on the bleeding edge.

>he thinks Sid is for rolling release retards and not for actually testing the packages to see if and how they break
>>
>>53705993
Use sid before posting things like this anon!

Sid hardly breaks, much like Arch. It's a very nice rolling release system.
>>
>>53706023
>Sid hardly breaks
Can confirm, Sid is pretty stable.
>>
File: birthday6.jpg (84 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
birthday6.jpg
84 KB, 960x960
>>53705920
>>53705920
>>53705942
>>53705990

i posted a bunch more here
>>>/r9k/27399908

also notice the shirt worn by >>53705760
>>
>>53706023
>>53706040
I have used Sid you NERD

Even if it "barely breaks" it's still a complete pain to fix when it does compared with Arch.

Also you rolling release fags are still fags.
>>
>>53706084
Of course bleeding edge rolling release should not be for beginners. That's one of Arch's problems.
>>
>>53705366
agreed, debian unstable is the default linux and 99% of the time the best and most standard linux. the 1% is windows migrants who need ubuntu.

the one true way re: debian still requires tools like apt-listbugs and deborphan to work properly. it's still probably the best and most standard linux one true way
>>
>>53706192
Good post, anon. Keep on keeping on!
>>
>>53706146
I'll be honest, I have a certain respect for unstable users. Only if you actually contribute to the distro and let them know what packages are working/breaking.

The problem is that people around here are only into it for muh bleeding edge and don't contribute shit when it works/breaks.
>>
>>53706023
>>53706040
Try using it on some other architecture besides x86. There is a reason they call Sid unstable. If you want to be a beta tester, use testing.
>>
>>53706216
That's not a problem anon. Being in the development cycle is great. Not taking part doesn't harm anyone or cost anyone anything. We develop because we want, not so people can pay us back, right?
>>
>>53706216
THEY KNOW ITS BROKEN YOU DUMB SHIT THATS WHY ITS IN SID
>>
>>53706253
You are smart and relevant, anon!
>>
>>53706243
I didn't say it was harming anyone. I just said you're a faggot if you have an elitist boner for bleeding edge packages and not even contributing to the distro by emailing them/letting them know about bugs.
>>
>>53706274
You are dumb and retarded. Unless you are a programmer actively working to fix bugs in Sid, they don't need you. If you want to test something to see if it's working properly, use TESTING.
>>
>>53706284
Don't fret over problems you made up my guy!

>>53706308
Who doesn't need me? What are you on about anon? I am an open source contributor. I don't use sid. Some people like to try the newest software - it can be lots of fun. No need for upset!
>>
>>53706388
>Some people like to try the newest software
Learn how to compile it from source then. That's not what Sid is for.
>>
>>53706436
Who told you sid is for developers? That would make no sense, without users sid would be pointless.

Testing is for determining long time stability - if something breaks, it can remain broken for months due to the development cycle. In sid, any major breakage is probably fixed before you get the package.

You seem to have read lots of misinformation, or you are stating your opinion as fact. The only thing that is sure is that you have not used sid for any considerable time!
>>
>>53706512
Sid is literally MEANT for developers/power users to test packages and contribute to Debian holy FUCK
>>
>>53706436
I am amused but what is sid for?
>>
>>53706512
No, it is fact. You're just retarded and don't seem to understand why Sid exists. Testing is what eventually becomes stable, but Sid, Sid is always broken and unstable. Hence the name UNSTABLE AKA NOT FUCKING FIXED AKA BROKEN
>>
>>53706564
Anon. sid (lower case s) is where new packages are put for testing. When it is determined that they are not FUBAR, they are moved to the testing release where they remain for a long time, usually months. If something breaks, it is fixed in sid (NOT in testing) and the cycle repeats until it can be moved to testing again. Nobody uses testing as their main release because of this, lots of people use sid.

>>53706581
Do... you think unstable means "not fixed"? Anywas read the top of this post.
>>
>>53706571
It's for power users to come together and test unstable packages and communicate with one another on if and how they break so that they can properly choose packages to put into Debian Testing and eventually Stable.

If you use Sid because of muh bleeding edge then you are retarded.
>>
>>53706655
i use sid because muh bleeding edge and I report any problems, it's a good way to contribute. how do you contribute?
>>
>>53706650
>Do... you think unstable means "not fixed"?
That is exactly what it means.
>If you are a hardcore developer or tester you should use this release.
>The sequence of package propagation in the Debian development process is as follows:
>experimental
>unstable
>testing
>stable
Fucking kill yourself
>>
>>53706688
>how do you contribute?
He doesn't. He just shitposts angrily on /g/.
>>
>>53706720
I get that you are mad but your posts are not even containing arguments or information anymore. You just listed the debian releases and told an actual Debian contributor to kill himself.
>>
>>53706688
>and I report any problems
Unless you found a new bug, they don't give a shit. If you submit a known bug they're going to reply angrily or not at all because you should have already been aware of it.
>>
>>53706806
Who hurt you anon? I only get maybe one breaking package per year. Last time me and a dev spent hours troubleshooting on irc. I learned a lot and it was fun.
>>
>>53706770
Holy fuck do you actually think just because you can submit a bug report (most likely ones they were already aware about), you matter? You're a god damn joke and I'm sorry you the wikis have failed to properly inform you how the process works. They need you like they need a bullet in the head.
>>
>>53706192
Should I sid my Debian?
>>
>>53706868
I don't want to be responsible for your aneurysm so I'm removing myself. Be safe anon!
>>
>>53705366
install gentoo
>>
>>53706868
You should see a psychiatrist before you murder someone.
>>
>>53705366
>Actually need the newest version? Backport the package, it's super easy.
Haha

After I backported 200 packages within the first month of using it and ended up with an unmaintainable mess, I just switched from debian to gentoo.
>>
>>53706951
>I backported 200 packages
Gentoo seems about right for you!
>>
>>53706951
I'd wager money you didn't actually need the latest bleeding-edge version of more than maybe five of those
>>
>>53706720
Quoting the debian wiki is fun.

Let's quote the debian manual as well!

> If you are a desktop user with a lot of experience in the operating system and does not mind facing the odd bug now and then, or even full system breakage, use unstable. It has all the latest and greatest software, and bugs are usually fixed swiftly.

...oops?
>>
>>53706927
>>53706938
You're literally keeping packages in Sid longer than they need to be by submitting new bugs that should have been found in testing. Packages are fixed faster in Sid? Holy shit I wonder why? THEY NEVER FUCKING LEAVE TO BE TESTED. Holy fuck I'm mad right now.
>>
>>53706980
>Fuck you, you shouldn't use your computer in the way you want to
Yeah, I don't really like this Red Hat philosophy seeping into the Debian fanbase. Gentoo seems better for me.

And for the record, I did - otherwise I wouldn't have backported them. I backported only ever when there was some feature I needed that was missing in the older version, or when I wanted to do some development on a program and needed the latest versions of libraries to get it to run, or when somebody I backported recursively required a newer version of its dependency.
>>
File: sid.png (140 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
sid.png
140 KB, 1024x768
I don't understand. Why my sid is stable-updates? What I did wrong?
>>
>>53707083
Read >>53707044

Things are updated in sid and trickle down to testing after a while. Something breaks in testing, it's fixed in sid. When testing is determined stable enough, it's frozen into a stable release. Testing, unless close to a freeze, is not really usable, as anyone who has tried knows.
>>
>>53705531
Does anyone has the nigga that posted on facebook about noone going to his party?
>>
File: birthday9.png (606 KB, 484x1864) Image search: [Google]
birthday9.png
606 KB, 484x1864
>>53707424
yay?
>>
>>53707449
That shit just makes me sad.
>>
>>53705366
Arch is basically harder-to-install Debian.

Gentoo has features that I actually like and prefer, such as portage, compile flags, source repositories, and clean config management.
>>
>>53707200
Yes. 10 days after all release critical bugs have been fixed, it moves on to testing. If something breaks in testing, it stays in sid longer than it should because some dickhead keeps piling on additional bugs for them to fix before it goes back to testing.
>>
>>53705366
The perfect system for me would be:
>rock stable kernel, base system, desktop environment
>bleeding-edge optional software(web browser, image/audio/video editing, productivity software...)
>>
Yeah I've been stuck on "detecting network hardware" for a day now.

I know I have network hardware, I can see it with my eyeballs. But Debian can't find it. Probably because I had to pay for it.
>>
>>53705366
Debian has been my distro of choice since about 2006. With one exception (due to work required limitations) I run it everywhere.
Debian represents so much of what I love in the open source community...

That being said... I have stayed behind on Wheezy. I don't plan to go to Jessie. While I realize libsystemd0 != systemd init system, I DESPISE the fact that bsdutils and cups are now dependant upon libsystemd0.
Is there still freedom of init? Mostly.
Though it really seems to be a hurdle to avoid having interfaces specifically set up for systemd... And I never want to go down a road that I didn't choose.

The choice to move to systemd as the default init has caused me quite a bit of internal strife, and I still haven't determined what distro could fill the void for me. I *want* Devuan to be a solid drop in replacement... But I doubt it will. Even if it was, I already feel like I've lost something great.
>>
>>53708729
>The choice to move to systemd as the default init has caused me quite a bit of internal strife, and I still haven't determined what distro could fill the void for me.
Gentoo has been working quite well for me on that regard. Feels nice using a distro where systemd is actually the less supported init, not the other way around.
>>
>>53705366
no because couldn't even get the video driver to work compared to other debian-based distros
>>
>>53708768
Gentoo has been a consideration for me.
So has Slackware.
Were it not only "rolling release" I'd consider Void Linux.

Chances are when I'm finally put to the wall and have to move to another distro, I'll test drive Gentoo and Slackware, burn down my system, and go with whichever seemed in line with my thinking.
>>
>>53705366
AUR
U
R
>>
>>53708801
The clear difference I see between Gentoo and Slackware is that of the package manager.

Gentoo is built round the idea that the package manager should be as powerful as possible. I do everything through portage, even stuff like managing python/ruby/whatever packages (as opposed to ‘pip’ and other garbage).

Slackware seems to be build around the idea that a package manager shouldn't exist, and that users should just spend hours maintaining their systems by hand? I don't understand it personally, to be entirely honest
>>
>>53705531
I don't feel bad for this guy at all, he's conventionally attractive or normal in physical appearance anyways.
>>
Debian has a big development team. Of unpaid amateurs. People who break PRNGs, and people who keep maintaining the software they break.

Debian is designed to be as stable as it can be without any real developer effort. That means a program's stability and security is measured by how many bug reports it accrues, not a serious audit or any threat mitigation measures in the system. Debian is stable like arch is simple.

Debian uses old packages, not stable packages. Irrational, unwavering caution, not careful selection, is the name of the debian game.

Debian suffers from "Linux syndrome", where a sane policy for major components of the OS is applied to trivial userland software and libraries. Does thunar really need to fall under the same policies that govern gnutls and /bin/sh? Doubtful, but it's "part of the debian system".

Apt is garbage. Apt is convoluted. Dnf is simpler. Apt is only ideal when the package maintainers do not fuck up and you do not go against them even if they do. Apt is a server package manager, not a desktop package manager. You're just applying a server policy where the sysadmin must control all systems and software to your desktop, where you control the one and only system.
>>
>>53709402
tldr linux is shit i want my $500000 a year commercial UNIX box back
>>
>>53708971
CENTOS
E
N
T
O
S
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-27_02-38-17.png (314 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-27_02-38-17.png
314 KB, 1920x1080
>>53705366
>>
>>53709481
I pick my distro based on what will get me as far as possible *away* from Red Hat. Suggesting CentOS is just trolling.
>>
>>53709402

You really don't have any idea what you're talking about. If you're new to Debian take this guy with a mountain of salt & feel free to ask questions here.
>>
>>53709526

Irrational & clueless most lkely
>>
>>53708971
slackware is a literally a snapshot of pats hdd
>>
>>53705993
This. Always use stable for production environments. Use backports if you want more updated packages.
>>
>>53705993
Yeah, but things are more quickly fixed on sid than testing. Testing is more complex from a development perspective. Things can easily stay broke for weeks in testing not because of neglect but because of the nature of things.
>>
>>53707192
You left the stable security updates repo in. You don't need to do that. In fact, you don't even need to have a security update repo in testing or sid, it's managed by the main repos for those.
>>
>>53705407
kekd out loud
>>
File: siiid.png (26 KB, 516x238) Image search: [Google]
siiid.png
26 KB, 516x238
>>53705993
>>53706084
>>53706192
>>53706023
>>53706040

Sid user here

>>53706216
I'll be honest, I like newer packages and stuff, but I do report bugs and shit like that. I like to think I'm not a 100% asshat.

>>53706906
If you want, give it a shot. Just not on a server.
>>
I want to transition to Debian as much as possible, but I play a lot of games on Steam. How shitty is Debian as far as Steam game support, and for general daily desktop usage?

openSUSE, Ubuntu, and Mint are my next choices, but openSUSE isn't Debian based like 90% of the installations in existence, Mint is basically newer+more bloated Debian, and Ubuntu includes spyware, which is why I'm leaving Windows.
>>
>>53712024
>I want to transition to Debian as much as possible, but I play a lot of games on Steam. How shitty is Debian as far as Steam game support, and for general daily desktop usage?
You can play Steam games on Debian just as easy as you would on any other GNU/Linux. You might need to install the proprietary graphics card drivers, though.
>>
>>53712048
>just as easy
Ubuntu is officially supported, other distros require additional effort.
>>
>>53712349
You are technically correct, but said additional effort is negligible on Debian.
>>
>>53709690
I find it hard to believe that Pat would keep a dozen browsers and DE/WMs installed at every occasion
>>
>>53710695
I'm also using Debian sid, how come I'm on 4.4 and you're on 4.5?
>>
>>53709402
>apt is garbage
Please explain this meme to me
>>
>>53714047
>i-it's just not as fast as pacman!
Apt is fine
>>
>>53714047
>apt update
>apt upgrade

>this is acceptable
>>
File: 0002.gif (18 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
0002.gif
18 KB, 128x128
>>53705366
Yup, I've got to agree: even with systemd, Debian is good. Stable as fuck.
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.