[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fuck HP. Fuck laptops.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
Hey, /g/. I know this board isn't supposed to be tech support but I've been fighting with this thing for two days. And losing. I have one idea for good solution but I want to bounce it off smarter people before I put time into it in case it's another dead end.

I have a friend's HP 15 (15-g088ca) laptop with legit Windows 10 Home on it. The original drive is 5200rpm and it's slow as shit. I've been trying to clone it to an SSD and then put that in the laptop but I keep slamming into walls. I've been building, using and occasionally troubleshooting desktops for years and this is my first time fucking with a laptop. It will also probably be my last. Fuck this thing.

I've cloned the drive and installed the SSD and when I boot it goes right to an error screen with an option to go to a minimal troubleshooting menu. No BIOS, no boot menu and I can't get into the Recovery tools. The error is almost instant and it makes me wonder if HP put something on the mobo to look for a particular drive type or something else to do with the drive before booting into Windows. If it doesn't find what it's looking for it slams on the brakes.

Anyway, my idea is to put the SSD into my desktop, install cracked Win10 to it and let it update and then go into Device Manager and uninstall certain hardware drivers like audio, display, network and whatever does the mobo. Then install the SDD to the laptop and let Win10 install its own drivers. An IT friend did this for me years ago when I bought a new mobo but wanted to skip re-installing XP if I could. He went through device manager, we switched mobos and the tower fired right up afterwards.

Will this work?
>>
>>53704925
Install gentoo
>>
File: yeah okay.gif (1 MB, 170x200) Image search: [Google]
yeah okay.gif
1 MB, 170x200
>>53704996
>>
>install cracked Win10

that's not gentoo
>>
>>53705275

That was the short(er) version. I have an AIO release and I was going to install Win10 Home from it and use her key.
>>
>>53704925
I recently did the same thing. Just disable secure boot in the OS settings. :)
>>
>>53705535
I'll put the original hdd back in and see if I can get to a boot menu to do that. Or is it a switch inside Win10?
>>
>>53705666
Press some F keys, F2, F10, etc to pull up bios. Then disable secure boot
>>
>>53705732
Found it in the manual. Esc + F10. Got into the BIOS finally!
>>
>>53705841
Got it to go?
>>
>>53705999
Nope. Most of the keys weren't responding, including arrow keys. But then I didn't put mose of the screws back in for this attempt. So I'm putting the ones behind the keyboard back in...
>>
>>53704925
>ssd
There's your problem. Just go back to the HDD and it'll be fine.

If you need better performance, install ccleaner and defrag the hdd, or install Gentoo
>>
File: 1236673102252.jpg (121 KB, 425x282) Image search: [Google]
1236673102252.jpg
121 KB, 425x282
Great. It's looking like I somehow borked the cable ribbon from the keyboard about 2/3 of the keys don't or barely register. The cable looks okay and I haven't yanked on it or dropped anything. FML.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.