[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who else here /reinstalls OS too much/? Currently none of the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: anime question girl.jpg (50 KB, 736x724) Image search: [Google]
anime question girl.jpg
50 KB, 736x724
Who else here /reinstalls OS too much/?

Currently none of the installs on any of my PCs are over a week old. The longest I've kept an install in the past few years has been 6 months. Its starting to get ridiculous

How can I keep myself from scratching the itch /g/?
>>
Realize that all operating systems are shit and you're just wasting your time.
>>
start doing something actually productive.
That way, you can't spend all your time being a fucking useless retard.
>>
>>53704344

>How can I keep myself from scratching the itch /g/?

Is growing up an option?
>>
File: 1459026255231.png (27 KB, 181x220) Image search: [Google]
1459026255231.png
27 KB, 181x220
>>53704344
Maybe if you stopped installing so much useless junk, you wouldn't have that urge. Alternatively, you could use an OS that doesn't have a half dozen different locations to store stuff.
>>
>>53704344
install arch
>>
>>53704364
>start doing something actually productive.

I approve of what this man says.
>>
>>53704344
I used to do this all the time with Windows. I switched to Fedora a few years ago and now I just reinstall every other version.
>>
>>53704344
If you force yourself to buy a new machine every time you want to reinstall an OSyou'll go down to one install every 3-4 years max.
>>
>>53704952
That's a good way to get someone into ThinkPad collecting.
>>
>>53704344
learn to maintain your system
>>
>>53704364
This lmao, what are you doing
>>
I used to, but then I found replacements for just about everything I had
Now i just use a rasp pi with bi-annual backups in case the SD card fails on me
>I still have a $900 windows machine in case I have to do video editing
>>
File: in.png (343 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
in.png
343 KB, 600x300
>>53704344
Same here, I got so experienced about reinstalling OSes, I take me only half an hour to get everything working (about 1500 packages, 200 configuration files and a few manual builds). Then I eventually broke up a thing in the next few days and reinstall again... This is a real nightmare, I feel like I am doing the same thing again and again but I can't help myself. This is also exhausting as I can get to process 10 process simultaneously using one terminal for each of them, constantly switching and evaluating the perfect timing to lost the minimum amount of time.
>>
Install gentoo
don't rebuild world for 2 months
rebuild world and then try to fix what breaks.

it's a fun game.
>>
Same. Installed Antergos two weeks ago but it feels like its going to break now. GNOME is constantly locking up when dragging things and I can't be arsed to figure it out.

Ubuntu here I come... again.
>>
Get your install exactly how you like it, then image the drive with Clonezilla. When you want to reinstall, restore the image. A 1-2 hour routine becomes like 10 minutes max.
>>
>>53704344
Dumb anime poster, can't even maintain an OS.
>>
>>53706285
Stop using special snowflake distros. At least shit like Gentoo is well established and has an actual user base that can help you.

I use a bunch of snowflakey software on my own machine that works well enough that I rarely think about it but I hear nothing but bitching from people using "modern" and "full featured" desktops. It was harder for me to figure out how to fully configure KDE than to learn calculus.
>>
>>53706285
Switch to Debian and you won't look back
>>
>>53706826
I maintain my OS fine, I just always get the feeling it's "dirty" and that I need to start over. Also malware paranoia. I think I'm addicted to the new OS smell.
>>
>>53707026
Obssesive compulsive dissorder, typical weeb
>>
i found that i reinstall less when I have something to do, kidding I remember reformatting my drive while having work to do. I guess just keep hopping senpai, no cure
>>
OS reinstalls are not a problem for me. Unix is a fantastic system that allows me to segregate my /home partition in its own storage volume and reinstalling is a matter of dedicating 1 hour to download and install the system.
>>
>>53704885
I found I last way longer with Windows because I remember how fucking long it takes to update.
>>
>>53707075
dis, I can still access my futa lolis and drill music no matter how many times I reformat the distro partition, feels gud man
>>
I used to do the same thing before I grew up and realized that the only non-shit OS was OS X.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.