[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the benefits of Arch over Mint, or Ubuntu? I have been
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
What are the benefits of Arch over Mint, or Ubuntu? I have been looking to make the switch from BotNet OS, and wonder what distro to use.
>>
Why don't you just try them and make your own decisions? Or go read about them instead of trying to get the opinions of a bunch of retards?
>>
File: 1458493891050.png (755 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
1458493891050.png
755 KB, 1080x1920
Arch is cool because you don't have any extra shit you don't want on it. It only has what you install yourself. Also, AUR makes Arch irreplaceable for me.

The "Arch breaks when you update it" is just a stupid meme. I've been using it for a year and never had a problem.

Now, it's not for everyone. If you're not comfortable installing Arch using a non-graphical command line installer, and if you're not comfortable editing configuration text files, then it might not be for you.

Ubuntu was the first Linux distro I used. It's probably the best for something that just works without you having to put any unnecessary effort into it. I enjoyed it.

But if you think you'll be okay following a short and to-the-point Arch installation guide, go for it. It's not as difficult as everyone makes it out to be, it's just like following a recipe.
>>
I prefer Void over Arch, same minimal installation and customizability, but less bullshit
>>
>>53702207
Use a "just-works" distro as a first time for fucks sake. The OS should be on most cases a tool to get something done.
>>
If you're switching from Windows and this is your first experience, I'd recommend Mint
>>
>>53702333
this desu

I actually found arch is a lot easier to use than ubuntu once you have some experience
>>
>>53702576
No pulse audio either
Enjoy your distrolet
>>
>>53702576
What "bullshit"?
>>
>>53702962
I don't understand what you mean, it's in the official repo and runs just fine?
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.