[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Before /g/, after /g/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: dont-forget.png (132 KB, 500x366) Image search: [Google]
dont-forget.png
132 KB, 500x366
I saw a similar thread on /pol/ (inb4) and thought this would be fun

What were you like before you came to /g/, and what are you like now?

I'll start:
>Before /g/
Shitty Chromebook
Average CS student
I used Linux Mint Debian edition
Didn't like programming that much, it just seemed like a decent job
Thought programmers were all boring normies
Didn't know about muh freedoms

>After /g/
Slightly less shitty Chromebook
Appalling CS student
Debian stable after failing Arch install and trying Ubuntu
I constantly think of useful programming projects, I like computer science theory enough to study it in my free time
I think all programmers are either wizards or nu-male betas
I have acquired an appreciation for autism
Everything I write that wouldn't make money is GPL

I don't come here as much I used to but this was the first board I thought of after that /pol/ thread
>>
>Before /g/
Macbook Air (OSX)
iPhone 4S
iPad
Used iCloud, iTunes, etc
Reddit, Twitter, and Facebook normie
Used proprietary formats like a chump
Learning Ruby and Ruby on Rails

>After /g/
Running Arch on a ThinkCentre M700
Triple monitor setup
Mechanical keyboard
Rice my computer every day
Prepaid flip phone
Use only free formats for media
No social networking accounts
Almost solely live in the terminal
Program exclusively in Python and C++
>>
>before /g/
Windows-loving /v/tard
Unsure what I wanted to do with my life
>after /g/
Mac-user and appreciator of fine *NIX operating systems.
Realised I didn't want to be a neckbeard forever
Stole a version of After Effects
9 years later now comfy working for a studio doing motion graphics

So thanks guys, I guess
>>
>>53702052
I'm pretty sure that at least 90% of /g/ays that buy Macs only do so because /g/ shits on Apple and they want to be contrarian
>>
>>53701788
>Before /g/
HP dv6 laptop
Gaymer
No hardware knowledge other than muh RAM, muh HDD space, muh GHz, muh cores
Only known 3 OS - Windows OS X and "Linux"
Used Linux once on a VM for 2 minutes as a 13 yo skiddie (wanted to crack a WEP neighbor)
>After /g/
ThinkPad X220
Have an Arch linux partition (and all the knowledge that comes when you can see all the parts that the OS is made of, kernels, bootloaders, wms, display server, init system etc and how these work, to a certain extent...)
Use open-source and/or free software when possible
Want to read K&R and SICP
Know and refer cpus and some gpus by codenames, their release dates, node size
For some reason get really interested in names and progress of all the connectors, buses, plugs and sockets.

I like it
>>
>Before /g/
15 year old poorfag dipshit
Horrible Windows XP computer with fatass eMachines CRT monitor that ended up turning bright green
Nintenlard that recently got an Xbox 360, little brother later ended up being one of those fucking MW2 quickscope codkiddies (now he's play MOBAs, kek)

>After /g/
ThinkPads galore, later moved past them since they turned to shit but now I won't buy a laptop if I'm not reasonably sure it'll run Linux distros well
Picky as fuck about FOSS, kek heartily as neckbeard ramblings before the turn of the decade about nonfree software end up being completely accurate. Use it whenever I can on Windows as well, even GIMP (though that's honestly a preference thing)
After a long Windows 10 hiatus and dull gaming bender, trying to get back into CS fuckery, currently using Arch on a Toshiba W10 turdbucket I got because of decent specs for a ULV machine
Kind of failing college because disabilities and sickness, no fucking clue what to do after that. Want to get into certs again but I doubt I'll get anywhere without at least a shitty general requirement associates degree
Stopped browsing for a while because /pol/ wouldn't shut the fuck up and stick to their own board, came back once the worst of them got their own hugbox chans
>>
>Before /g/
Learning basic programming languages.
Had an iPhone 3GS, coz poorfag.
Played a shit ton of video games
Had a fetish for Apple products

>After /g/
Python
Android device
Occasionally plays GTA
Has a fetish for Dell towers
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.