[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Low power/"green" computers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1456958841393.jpg (198 KB, 1920x1040) Image search: [Google]
1456958841393.jpg
198 KB, 1920x1040
Since this board always loves the biggest numbers, what's /g/'s opinion on desktops that are designed to be low resource and low power?
>>
They are good for office/surfing but not for MUH GAEMS, so they aren't common here
>>
Never really got why people are so concerned about the economy of their car and TV, and never think about that computer/laptop they spend all day on. I'm really looking forward to an ARM desktop, with actual storage bays and such.

Might even force programmers to think about their code when designing software again, and a return to dedicated video and sound chips like the OPLs and Paula.
>>
>>53702203
Just get a recent atom
>>
>>53702247
Oh, I know there's ways of doing it. I've been eyeing up a Brix to act as a daily driver.

I'm just waiting for this to become something people actually talk about when it comes to computing.

I'm looking forward to silent, fanless, solid state PCs becoming a legitimate corner of the market again.
>>
>>53702563
The low power Brix are all a bit of a con, in terms of there being a choice.

There's two Celerons and an Atom: the two Celerons and 2GHZ and 1.6GHZ, the Atom is 1.3GHZ. The power draw of ther Celerons are something like 10TDP and 5TDP, the Atom is 6TDP.

So, with the real-world difference between 5W and 10W being pretty much nothing*, why wouldn't you get the GHZ one, which can address 8GB rather than 4GB of RAM?

*CPU-Boss says that the 1.6 is "3.5 times more effecient," but that's still such a tiny figure at this level that there's no point missing out on the extra power and double the memory.
>>
laptop used as a PC. Pair it with an energy efficiency monitor. You'll get significantly lower power usage than most desktops. Less than 100W at high load
>>
>>53703894
Pretty sure that just using the laptop's screen will be even lower.

Also, what laptops use even close to 100W at any time but screaming 110% load?
>>
>>53704010
It would be lower but regular monitors are waaaay better for real use

gaymen laptops. Still lower power than a desktop.
>>
>>53702203
>Never really got why people are so concerned about the economy of their car and TV, and never think about that computer/laptop they spend all day on.
because the amount of power you save is not very large. It's like worrying about one extra MPG when choosing a car.
>>
>>53701723
i3-3220 is the minimum acceptable.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.