[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to love Java
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: images (2).jpg (21 KB, 461x319) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
21 KB, 461x319
I need to brainwash myself in order to learn Java for android development. How do I convince myself that it is a good language? Key points why I don't like it:

- Memory whore.
- Syntax retardation.
- Verbose as fuck (hello world in more than three lines is already too much).

Please /g/, make me fall for the meme. Make me a code monkey like the asians.
>>
install gentoo
>>
>>53699152
Almost impossible to like it unless you're indian

My personal moneywhore path was webdev and it's working out alright. A lot of backend dev requires regular programming over markup language devving
>>
>>53699152

- really simple
- has complete library support for anything you could ask for
- it's lightning fast
- complete coverage of any issues by the online community means that you'll never have a problem that isn't on stackoverflow
- arguably the best development toolset

The problem with Java is that it's too comfy. Once you get into it, it hard to get out.
>>
>>53699152
it's not much more verbose than c++
you first have to embrace the rich object-relational mapping facilities, hibernation, serialization and code hot-swapping and hot loading class files, all while being completely cross-platform, even in compiled form before you can truly begin to realize the value of java
>>
>>53699152
You forgot
- Can't do proper memory manipulation, which means you have to jump more hoops for what should be simple functionality in software like video games
- Very strict OO structure to everything
You just have to go in and bite the pillow senpaitachi
>>
File: 1458046994918.jpg (9 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1458046994918.jpg
9 KB, 300x300
>>53699207
>- it's lightning fast
>>
>>53699243
It's true, some java programs run faster than its C equivalent
>>
>>53699270
Which ones?
>>
>>53699243

It is tho. Unless you have to do extremely heavy calculations on complex datasets its fast enough for anything.
>>
File: more.jpg (17 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
more.jpg
17 KB, 300x300
>>53699270
>>
>>53699270
java can never be faster than well-optimized c code
it's fast enough for almost anything though
>>
>>53699152
Java 8 has closures and the <> type inference thing which cuts down on some of the repetition.

Besides that the best thing about Java is not being engaged in a war with the compiler over undefined behavior.
>>
>>53699293
checked exceptions are nice as well, when used in a non-retarded way
>>
You retards are so out of contact with the world and hate everything that has the smallest semblance of logic and reason.

There's nothing wrong with Java.

>Verbose as fuck
If you really need to type even 20% of your code, you're doing something wrong.
>>
Pro - if you put the wrong thing the code may still work
Con - if you put the wrong thing the code may still work
>>
>>53699282

There was a thread on /r/programming a few weeks back where the java https processor completely destroyed the competition including many C/C++ equivalents. This was real production code too, not some contrived example.
>>
>>53699334
>reddit
Reported. Please stop posting here.
>>
File: more2.jpg (17 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
more2.jpg
17 KB, 300x300
>>53699334
>reddit
>>
>>53699367
>>53699373

I usually go to /r/g/ and click on 'catalogue' to get the 'top > today' threads. I think /dpt/ is the best subreddit on 4chan.
>>
>>53699334
What do tou think of ART as a JVM?
>>
>>53699512

It's popular and cheap to develop on. I couldn't ask for more.
>>
>>53699576
What do you mean cheap?
>>
>>53699334
Source please
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.