[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A piece of technology out of a trekkie's wettest dreams
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: Laser_122_0300.jpg (6 KB, 255x170) Image search: [Google]
Laser_122_0300.jpg
6 KB, 255x170
All you scientists out there get a load of this. I bet noone can explain this piece of black magic. A tool straight out of a trekkie's wet dreams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTDPI4xTetI
>>
>>53698285
This tech has existed for a while now.
>>
>>53698285
Thats pretty cool but how does it work?
Is it burning the rust away? Why is there no smoke?
Whats its effective range?
Could you, for example, burn a persons skin from 5 foot away? how about 10? 20?
>>
>>53698560

If I understand correctly, it works especially well for cleaning reflective surfaces because the top layer of material to be removed (rust, paint, grime) is significantly more absorbent of the laser radiation than the underlying surface. This causes the material to heat up and vaporize, and the resulting dust gets sucked up into a vacuum on the tip of the cleaner. The handheld units can be as powerful as 1000W, depending on the application.
>>
>>53698908
but could it be used as a weapon?
>>
>>53698285
480K bucks. keep dreamming.
>>
>>53699348
If you get your enemy to stand still long enough, and if superficial burns was enough of a motivation to get them to stop doing whatever it is you want them to, then sure.
>>
>>53698285
Pretty neat, I wasn't aware of the handheld applications.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTFsLsNPQhs
>>
>>53698560
It's not burning, it's ablating
>>
>trekkie

What a bunch of fuckin nerds
>>
>>53698285
Isn't it basically the same principle as laser hair removal?
>>
>>53699348
It could probably give your enemies skin cancer.
>>
>>53701066
*ahem* we actually prefer the term "Trekkors" *snort*
>>
>>53698285
this is the lazer cleaner right.
Ive seen it on discovery few years ago
>>
File: 1435607732987.jpg (137 KB, 1010x810) Image search: [Google]
1435607732987.jpg
137 KB, 1010x810
>>53698285
u sound like a buzzfeed article. ur word choice is wierd.

it makes me not trust you.
>>
>>53698560
>>53699348
>>53699421
The laser is calibrated to only affect very specific surfaces, here is a video of a person running the laser over their hand while burning away rust: http://youtu.be/NSBGVhzGVxY
In another video someone burns a pencil drawing off a piece of paper, leaving the paper intact.
>>
>>53698285
So what the fuck does it do you fucking retard?
>>
>>53698560
There's no smoke because there's no soot. Soot is organic fire residue.

But yeah essentially the laser is set at a frequency that rust absorbs and iron doesn't, so only the rust burns up. >>53701088 Yep. Although I believe laser hair removal targets the pigments in your hair so blondies and blackies don't handle it too well.
>>
File: cleaning laser.jpg (60 KB, 478x277) Image search: [Google]
cleaning laser.jpg
60 KB, 478x277
>>53698285
That's cool I guess. It's a 1 KW IR pulsed laser. Laser is probably a diode pumped Q-switched Nd:YAG laser. It fires intense pulses of light at a wavelength that gets absorbed by the rust, which turns the rust into a plasma, removing it.

They come in battery powered backpack form too.

Although nuclear decommissioning lasers are more impressive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3YCACZQ72Q

>>53699348
you could cause permanent blindness with it.
>>
>>53703771
ghostbuster mode
>>
>>53703771
What's the point of this? To be able to cut apart radioactive things without grinding them with tools if a nuclear disaster happens?

That's still excessively cool.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.