[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>God of computer science >creator of Tex format >ho
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 13
File: nut.jpg (207 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
nut.jpg
207 KB, 1280x853
>God of computer science
>creator of Tex format
>homepage layout is a mess

http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~uno/

HOW
>>
It's valid HTML4 tho
>>
>>53697732
>webdevs

fuck off, you cunt.
have you seen the webpages of most of these CS gurus? they all look like that. you want to know why? because people like them can't be bought with twitter fucking bootstrap, and they don't want to talk to people like you.
>>
Tex is a mess too honestly
>>
Only losers on /g/ use the organization of their computer as a time sink because, let's face it, they have nothing better to do and they want control of at least something in their life
>>
>>53697732
also, incidentally, the tex format wasn't created so you could marvel at how fucking beautiful its output is without having done any work, it was created to produce printing grade, verifiable and correct typeset. which it still does.
>>
holy fuck
did you use ISO over 3000?
>>
i've generally found that there is an inverse relationship for how bereft of CSS a person's home page/college directory user page that the more important they are/the more they've contributed to CS/the more interesting things/articles they have on the page.
>>
>>53697779
>Tex is a mess too honestly
This. If anything I'd very much expect his site to look like it does. Tex is unintuitive and painful to type, but sadly there's no better alternatives for academic papers.
>>
File: images.jpg (16 KB, 470x313) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
16 KB, 470x313
DON'T CLICK HERE

http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~uno/experiments.html
>>
>>53697814
This. Reposting something I saved a while ago:

/g/ is literally a behavioral sink

society has become overcrowded, the bustle of facebook, instagram twitter and social media has forced you all out of society because of overwhelming competition and inadequacy to perform

/g/ lurkers divide their time to "personal improvement", no, not in social conduct, physical disciplines, or acquiring virtuous traits, but by meticulous preening their environments and small bubbles of insecurity free from the harsh society sprawl of the modern age

you all spend countless hours combing over your battlestations , desktops, phones, any technological gadget that encourages your needlessly conscientious habits and blind consumerism, it does not matter what kind of fucking font your homescreen has, that the battery icon isn't transparent enough, that your headphone amp has enough vacuum tubes, how perfect your rigs cable management is and your idle temps after reapplying thermal paste this year, what knife youre carrying and what portable headphone amp provides the best mids and highs while strapped to your non-apple sansa clip hoisted against your belt buckle, how monochrome your pocket contents are, what your desktop and terminal look like, how you're working through calc 3 and expecting your bottom barrel computer science degree to take you to anything except a mediocre apartment where you can live alone and finally leave your figurines out of their boxes

women are no object now you have anime, obviously spending 5 hours after work thinking about what monitor would be best to vertically stand up so you can browse your all important arch linux release notes is the true way of life we all aspire towards, time to go check what new massdrops there are, you still need that $50 japanese mechanical pencil and straight razor ivory handle shaving kit, don't you?
>>
>>53697836
Good job construing a sensible sentence
>>
>>53697885
That's just sad. People spend their free time however they want, and surprisingly humans are diverse and like doing very different things.
>>
>>53697848
>no better alternatives for academic papers
It is called Microsoft Word, it works just fine.
>>
>>53697927
gross
>>53697848
http://www.texmacs.org/tmweb/home/welcome.en.html
>>
File: completly_not_a_trap.webm (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
completly_not_a_trap.webm
2 MB, 640x360
>>53697732
he is a scientist, not a faggot, it require high level of estrogen to perform some actions, thats why fags act like womens
>>
>>53697927
No it really can't produce the same quality. Believe me, I've tried. The actual writing process might be faster but everything else takes so much time that it becomes too much of a hassle.
>>
>>53697942
Interesting. Very convincing, but the licking thing gives it away. No woman would move like that.
>>
>>53697955
I was a coauthor of several research papers and they were all written in MS Word just fine.
>>
>>53697936
Looks like it merely offers buttons for stuff you can type out as well. The problem's not the lack of GUI as much as it's the convoluted syntax, messy semantics and lack of fine control (yes, editing one paragraph's indentation separately is sometimes useful, but TeX doesn't want you to do it)
>>
>>53698003
I haven't seen one CS paper written in Word. Word has trouble with floating images, clean paragraph placement, tables, reference management, and lack of good macros.
>>
>>53697942
>>53697995
which proves trannies are mentally ill
>>
>>53697732
>he stopped using email in 1990
>>
>>53698076
kek tranies are more femine thatn real womens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObRTWCh_8HU
>>
Real men use troff.
>>
File: 4-Mar-1999.png (10 KB, 683x167) Image search: [Google]
4-Mar-1999.png
10 KB, 683x167
I don't know.
>>
>>53697848
I can only partly agree. Yes, setting up anything from scratch is a fucking pain in the ass, a clusterfuck.

But if you have a template, and you just have to type away it's pretty convenient.

Import template, import your bibliography and start typing, only worry about content and not about the actual typesetting, referencing, image placement, numbering, etc.
Click compile and receive beautiful PDF. Done.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it.
>>
That's because him, and ALL other professors aren't good at what they are professing. If he was that good of a programmer he would be making a lot more money doing that, but he's not, because him and all other professors are failures in their own fields, so they have to resort to teaching to make money.
>>
File: G_ (1).gif (3 MB, 420x300) Image search: [Google]
G_ (1).gif
3 MB, 420x300
>>53697732
looks okay to me
>>
confirmed knuth is the exact opposite of jobs
>>
>>53697894
Fuck off Stuart
>>
>>53697732

OP can't enjoy a simple online text of linear info.
>>
File: machurt.jpg (32 KB, 381x499) Image search: [Google]
machurt.jpg
32 KB, 381x499
his magnum opus is his focus. he doesn't even read email.

this book has dog pictures. more suited for you faggots, enjoy.
>>
>>53697942
it has the disgusting mannerism of a fat, white, lonely, and mentally ill man.
>>
Oh no, it not latest HTML5/Bootstrap/Node.js bullshit. therefore its bad.
We need another dotcom bubble burst.
>>
>>53697777
Quads confirm webdevs are plebdevs
>>
>>53697867
Thanks anon I got a virus from your shitty link
>>
>>53697732
monks don't use fancy clothes
>>
>>53697732
What exactly is the problem here? It's perfectly navigable, simple, and readable.
>>
>>53697732
>God of computer science
He fathered complexity theory, but that's about the end of his contributions to computer science.

Tex was also very faulty from the get go, while latex fixes some flaws it's still not perfect. The idea was very good, however.

Nobody gives a crap about website design except webdevs. Have you ever tried css? Getting any elements of different types (say, an input and a button; a paragraph and a table; etc.) to align is ridiculously difficult. Why spend hours trying to align two elements when you could be done with a functional website in under 10 minutes?
>>
https://cs.stanford.edu/~uno/experiments.html
>>
>>53703928
The other pages are simple and usable. The background on this one makes it straight up bad, the fucking text on the envelope image keeps interfering with text on the page
>>
File: screenshot.png (82 KB, 816x732) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.png
82 KB, 816x732
>>53697936
Thanks man I've been looking for a good tex editor on windows for a minute
>>
>>53697848
i just use emacs and compile it using a standard makefile

this is also useful because you can use ghostscript to automatically compress it
>>
>>53697867
Fuck you I won't do what you tell me
>>
>>53697732
>Tex is a complete mess
>>
>>53697732
neo-vaporwave as fuck
>>
File: you.gif (2 MB, 400x305) Image search: [Google]
you.gif
2 MB, 400x305
> here
>>
thats how i want my personal website to look, with just basic html coding.

what does /g/ recommend for a good host that provides an html editor so that i could make my own webpage without using any of the current shitty shit shit premade designs/layouts?
>>
>>53705084
well just get a server and a domain name and learn how to write basic HTML in any text editor

its not hard
>>
>>53705084
I recommend a fucking brain you goddamned inbred. Holy fucking shit, I got cancer from this post.
>>
>>53705152
the domain name and editor isn't a problem, but i'd rather pay to host it, any recs?
>>
>>53705084
sdf.org. i think it's $1
>>
File: congrats.png (33 KB, 420x294) Image search: [Google]
congrats.png
33 KB, 420x294
>>53705188
>>
>>53705230
interesting, checking it out.

does anyone know if i went with something like blue hosting or hostgator, could i bypass using wordpress, etc. and just upload my own html pages?
>>
>>53705363
See >>53705188
>getting double-cancer in a single day
What a time to be alive!
>>
>>53705363
and by that i mean, could i use blue hosting or hostgator to make a website exactly like the one linked in the OP?
>>
>>53705393
yes.
>>
>>53697732
Not everyone can be the best http://motherfuckingwebsite.com/
>>
also
> not exporting via org mode
>>
>>53705419
thanks
>>
>>53697777

Oh fuck off, programmers know 1/10th the shit that webdevs do it's fucking ridiculous.

And who the fuck uses programs anymore, even software is being written for the web now. Web devs have to know traditional programming languages as well as front end shit and on top of that server administration, best practices, compression / optimization, security.

And moreover, programmers suck dick these days you even have a fucking meme about it
>>
>>53705705
Top kek. Webdevs literally don't know how to swap two ints. That's literally how ignorant they are.
>>
>>53697732
Not sure, but he made his Chinese a fucking image. It's probably an old page.
>>
>>53705915

What the fuck are you talking about program- I mean shitty-web dev?

Web developers
>html (+haml)
>css (+sass, less)
>javascript (oo) (+ libraries)
>python (flask/django)
>c#
>database admin
>server admin
>optimization

programmer
>c
>maybe python if they're lucky

how does it feel to go through life as just a really shitty, under qualified web developer?
>>
>>53706052
kek
>>
>>53706052
This tbqf
>>
>>53697732
it's a university webpage, which is different from a personal webpage
>>
>>53706052
>optimization
what?
>server admin
yeah right every js code spouting cuck is a server admin
>database admin
same as above
>c#
yeah its totally not being used in non web-development at all
>python
as above
>js
>html
>css
who the fuck wants to learn all that retarded fucking shit?
>>
>>53706328
Not to mention html and css take all of 10 minutes to learn, and the js/python used in web dev is "import gaylib; gaylib.run()"-tier.
>>
>>53706052
Kek please be bait, what's a modulus operator do weblord?
>>
File: pT5oXgpTB.jpg (14 KB, 250x239) Image search: [Google]
pT5oXgpTB.jpg
14 KB, 250x239
>>53706413
hahaha weblord. good
>>
>>53706328

>optimization
>what?
gzip, compressing assets, using svgs, optimizing svgs, css architecture and best practices (flat selectors, etc.)

>server admin
>yeah right
setting up a vps, knowing how to work with different stacks, basic console commands, security, maintenance, setting up production and development servers, deployment code

>database admin
>same as above
aka you're too lazy to come up with some more dumb shit

>c#
>yeah its totally not being used in non web-development at all
what is asp.net

>python
django is one of the most popular back end libraries being used and data analysis and mining is almost exclusively in python

>js
>html
>css
>who the fuck wants to learn all that retarded fucking shit?
You mean the basic foundations of the internet?

>>53706380
>Not to mention html and css take all of 10 minutes to learn, and the js/python used in web dev is "import gaylib; gaylib.run()"-tier.
You've clearly never done any web dev and have no experience with flask or django

>>53706413
its funny because you clearly think mod is a difficult concept to grasp which just makes you a retard

urMom % urDada = jamal

>>53706413
here's a simple question on par with mod, explain clearfix

damn, 'shitty web devs' getting btfo today
>>
>>53706588
OK pajeet
>>
>>53706588
>urMom % urDada = jamal
>confirming you literally don't know what modulus is
m8...
>>
Grad student at Stanford here.

He hasn't been active in years - he comes to PhD admit weekends, has dinner with the admits and student buddies, and when the faculty introduce themselves his introduction is something like "Hi I'm Don Knuth and I write books occasionally" or something. Everyone laughs because that's like saying "Hi I'm Andrew Ng and I dabble in AI" or "hi I'm Dan Jurafsky and I'm into Linguistics".
>>
>>53706588
>gzip, compressing assets, using svgs, optimizing svgs, css architecture and best practices (flat selectors, etc.)
it must be really hard11!
>>53706588
>setting up a vps, knowing how to work with different stacks, basic console commands, security, maintenance, setting up production and development servers, deployment code
things anyone programming for a bit know and they dont have to know webshit
>aka you're too lazy to come up with some more dumb shit
aka you just got btfo
>django is one of the most popular back end libraries being used and data analysis and mining is almost exclusively in python
>what is asp.net
Ignoring the point :^)
>>
>>53706727
anyway point being his site isn't high priority. it works and that's kind of all it needs to do.
>>
>>53706642

Hey now, watch it or you wont get that $500 bonus cheque on top of your 40k year salary when I hire you to maintain some bullshit legacy code in a few years

>>53706657
>confirming you don't understand how mod works
>also calling it modulus operator like some dipshit who just learned operators in his cs101 course

I'm excited for you man, next week is if statements, then loops, and holy shit wait until you get to functions
>>
>>53705705
>>53706052
>I know like 10 languages so im cool
Neat. It's good to know that the number of "languages" is how much you know.

Tell me webdev, what is "scope"? Give 2 examples of different kinds of "scope"
>>
>>53697867
now i have autism. thanks anon
>>
>>53706757

when importing from the file system and in code (universal variables v. lower level properties within functions and classes)

this basic web dev shit (aka third year cs shit) is fun, btw that's 2 questions I've answered to your 0

what's a clearfix anon

or lets go with css/html since that takes 10 minutes to learn

why should you always use flat selectors? What the glaring problem with using nesting in sass?

Just as a side note, I'm just now getting this updating captcha bullshit where I have to fucking spend 10 minutes clicking on large bodies of water like some fucking free labor cuck for google, so this is the last time I'm posting on this shit site
>>
Guys quit fighting

Webdev is cool
Programming is cool
CS is cool
>>
>>53706883
>gets btfo
>its the capcha guise i swer xD
>>
>>53706907
>being clinically retarded is cool!
>being a codemonkey is cool!
>it's totally the same as mathematics and science, guys!
>>
>His CV can only be downloaded in Tex, PS, and DVI format

Hes literally more autistic than the autists here who create their resumes in TeX... at least ya'll are not autistic enough to export it to PDF.
>>
>>53706982
Nobody who's not clinically retarded releases in other formats than source (tex) or pdf in 2016.
>>
>>53706727
>Grad student at Stanford here

I've seen it all now. The varieties of /g/
>>
>>53706883
Good thing you don't know what scope is and got it wrong. You know like a tenth of one scope strategy which is cool. Given that you are wise and know 10 languages, that's like pretty impressive.

I have no idea what a clearfix is or details about software as a service is because I don't do webdev. I did in 6th grade but it's been too long.

Scope is something that programming in general, including Javascript has though so good job. But that's okay. You don't need to know what scope is because you program through copy-paste and stackoverflow.
>>
>>53707018
Who the fuck is retarded enough to release important documents in fucking Tex code? Like holy shit who the fuck even has the necessary software installed, let alone the time to compile it just to view a fucking one page document.

And I mean PostScript, NOT PDF.
>>
>>53707022
phd programs aren't that difficult to get into since it's a shit choice for US citizens vs just spending the 5 years working in the industry. nowadays they are primarily for curry niggers and chinks to get a visa.
>>
>>53706912

>answers all questions
>proves programmers are just under qualified web devs with less skill sets
>gets btfo

that's not how that works bud

>>53706945
>he thinks cs is a science
lmao you fucking idiot even in stem you're acknowledged as being retards

computer science is to academics what turkey is to europe

that's a politics, something you probably don't understand because you spend your free time jacking off to anime and thinking you're better because you use a python library to visualize data instead of user metrics

>>53707030
What's the rest 9/10 applications of scope anon, I'm really eager to hear this

> Scope is something that programming in general, including Javascript has though so good job. But that's okay.

That's the point you idiot, web developers who do backend need to know as much about programming as software programmers, with the added bonus of a shit ton more languages and applications
>>
>>53707090

Seriously though, I want to hear what these 9/10 applications of scope are
>>
>>53700400

It wasn't Magical, unbelievable or such a deal.
>>
>>53707050
Found the inbred.
>>
>>53707073
Most of the PhD students in the program are white, some asian, a few indian. Stanford produces more professors "per capita" than most other graduate CS programs, and the trend is that if you go for a PhD here then the assumption is that you're going to go for a professorship.

So no, nobody here is really deferring their career for 5 years. Even if that was the plan, it would be a dangerously ill-advised plan, since a PhD from stanford usually places you out of most of the jobs you would have been looking at when you were applying to grad schools.

generally speaking, everyone looking at an admission here was/is also looking at job offers at highly competitive tech companies (google, facebook, etc...), so the question is whether you want to go into a career as a researcher (in academia or industry), or not.

I think outside of CS there's more pressure to defer your career the way you described because there aren't very many great jobs out there, but CS jobs are plentiful, and people getting into one of the top 5 CS programs in the world out of their undergrad at least on paper make for compelling hires.
>>
>>53707232
as a possible out, you might be thinking of masters programs; we have thousands in the masters program here and it's disproportionately represented by indians and asians. but those are typically 2-year programs, and it seems like that exists to lend a significant helping of credibility to people applying to jobs in the bay area. having an MS from stanford looks good on a resume.
>>
>>53707232
Too bad stanford graduates are the butt of every joke in the research fields of CS.
>>
>>53707107
>9/10 applications of scope
>applications
>applications
Do you really think everything is a tool? Nah that isn't how it works, but you wouldn't know that, coding-by-stackoverflow monkey.

You can't avoid not using scope, and it refers to from where a specific variable can be accessed.

You can control it with words like public/private in oop. In lexical scope languages, where the variable is bound, in dynamic languages, where the variable is called. In some languages scope is determined by file structure, in others, files do not have scope and everything might as well be stitched together....
>>
>>53707300
Really? any memorable jokes or punchlines?
>>
>>53707316
Not in that sense. And I'm strictly speaking about people who work in academia at stanford.
The papers they publish are not reproducible about 50% of the time, compared to results that were already deprecated 10 years ago, yet they claim it's SOTA about 25% of the time, outright lie about their results about another 25% of the time (those values being non-exclusive). On the whole, people take stanford papers with a massive grain of salt (about 1 in 50 papers they publish is actually good - don't want to miss on that!). The only other universities with such bad track records are spanish ones. For some reason, spanish research labs are complete jokes and a typical undergrad from America would be more knowledgeable and more capable of doing research than the local professors.
>>
>>53707312

Hahaha so exactly what I said then? In code and file systems is exactly what I said, now tell me these other 9/10 uses (aka applications of) scope
>>
>>53707382
So again this sounds like something that you could point to. What CS papers are not replicating?

I would buy that a lot of the computational social sciences papers coming out of the CS department are difficult to replicate because they leverage access to Facebook and other datasets that most universities just don't have access to, but if there are 49 papers of 50 that are junk then can you give an example?

I figure a study that didn't replicate would be the easiest to give an example of, because you can post the paper from Stanford and then the subsequent paper that calls that result out, but if another category of paper is easier to illustrate then I'm open to that too.

There's a lot of latitude about where this could go - theory, NLP, AI, etc... - but I'll try to be open-ended about what field you're calling out here.
>>
>>53697732
Wow, I thought we were about to have a worthwhile discussion for a few seconds there.
>>
>>53707439
about what?
>>
>>53707422
>uses
>applications
You really are special aren't you? I guess I'll try installing scope.js and asking stackoverflow about how I can use scope.js and be one of the cool kids who writes in scope.js Then I can finally be better than those node.js kids
>>
>>53707442
Donald Knuth.
Any of his work.

Not fucking webdev.
Not a CS prof's webpage.
>>
>>53707489

You've just crossed a threshold of retardedness

Still waiting for those 9/10 applications
>>
>>53707430
>go to arxiv.org
>check stanford papers
>see all the attached submission comments about lies and non-reproducibility
>???
>profit
>>
>>53707430
>then the subsequent paper that calls that result out
Are you retarded? Why would anyone improve the H-index of some fag who can't even do research FOR FREE?
>>
>>53707594
That's your problem webdev-kun. You think of everything as a tool or a product that you can install. You're not asking the right questions.

How am I supposed to tell you what an application of scope is when it isn't a singular thing and refers to a collection of things, some mutually exclusive?

There isn't a scope.js
>>
>>53707620
1) aren't arxiv comments anonymous? Are there substantive critiques or is it just anonymous sniping?
2) what's the nature of the submission? Is it a work in progress or peer reviewed? I don't use arxiv much because in my lab it's perceived as a lazy way to circumvent peer review.

This would be a lot easier if you would just link to an example that typifies this. I've asked three times now. Are you buying time to find one?
>>
>>53706052

>database admin
>server admin
>optimization

I will say that web developers are some of the worst systems administrators out there. Stop trying to do our job... It's always great when we buy out some other small time company and "our in house web developer setup the web server for us" and I get handed the credentials and holy crap I want to vomit shit is so bad. This isn't an isolated incident either.
>>
>>53707669

>9/10

Use this ONE SIMPLE QUESTION to dumbfound PROGRAMMERS in your area NOW

kek
>>
File: Light Yagami.png (114 KB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
Light Yagami.png
114 KB, 1360x768
>>53697732
>Expecting a check from me?
wut?
>>
>>53707647
The effect of discrediting a paper would be more significant than the bump to H-index, which is generally designed to be resistant to that kind of outlier effect anyway (unless someone has made their career around publishing such problematic papers that they get widely cited as being trash).

Which doesn't really happen (again feel free to point out a counter example but this is sounding more and more like someone just complaining)
>>
>>53707708
Arxix submission comments mirror comments from sources like journal or conference submissions. That's one important criterion, because anyone being able to publish anything on arxiv means retards and nobody like to do so as well.
Your lab is fucking retarded if they actually think arxiv has anything to do whatsoever with publication proper. People put their papers on arxiv so it's publicly accessible (unlike what would be the case if you were to publish in pretty much any journal), accessible many months in advance of any conference or journal publication, and reviewable - allowing corrections to be added after a publication, or before submission.
>>
>>53707746
>The effect of discrediting a paper would be more significant than the bump to H-index
Oh, you're just trolling. I really fell for it, though, nice going!
>>
i don't know shit about code or comp sci

should i even bother with this guy and what he likes to read and write?

i don't have much free time so direct me to whatever would be most important. i could sub my 4chan time to learning some universe knowledge shit again.

i've already wasted a half hour reading shit on his website.
>>
>>53707805

and what the fuck does any of this shit even mean?

6: Establish a (new) lower bound on van der Waerden numbers W(3,k)
24: Analyze Bailleux and Boufkhad's efficient cardinality clauses
57: Find a 6-gate way to match a certain 20-variable Boolean function at 32 given points
68: Encode the Life transition function in a small number of clauses
74: Prove that finite mobile flipflops in Life have many forbidden configurations
165: Devise an algorithm to compute the largest positive autarky of given clauses
177: Enumerate independent sets of flower snark edges
191: Count the n-variable functions expressible in 3CNF, for n=3,4,5
204: Construct difficult 3SAT instances with N variables and at most (4/3)N clauses
212: Prove that partial latin square construction is NP-complete
215: Analyze a simple backtrack algorithm on random 3SAT instances
237: Establish the pigeonhole principle efficiently using extended resolution
245: Prove that Tseytin's unsatisfiable graph-parity clauses make CDCL solvers take exponential time
246: But those clauses can be refuted efficiently with (clairvoyant) extended resolution
257: Find an efficient way to remove redundant literals from learned clauses
283: Find a linear certificate of unsatisfiability for the flower snark clauses
297-299: Analyze Papadimitriou and Schöning's random-walk algorithm for satisfiable 3SAT problems
304: Analyze the exact running time of random-walk algorithms on a particular 2SAT problem
306-308: Study the reluctant doubling strategy of Luby, Sinclair, and Zuckerman
>>
>>53707840

318: Find the best possible Local Lemma for d-regular dependency graphs with equal weights
322: Show that random-walk methods cannot always find solutions of locally feasible problems using independent random variables
335: Express the Möbius series of a cocomparability graph as a determinant
339: Relate generating functions for traces to generating functions for pyramids
347: Find the best possible Local Lemma for a given chordal graph with arbitrary weights
356: Prove the Clique Local Lemma
363: Study the stable partial assignments of a satisfiability problem
374: Design efficient data structures for the preprocessing of SAT clauses
386: Prove that certain CDCL solvers will efficiently refute any clauses that have a short certificate of unsatisfiability
399: Compare preclusion clauses to support clauses for constraint satisfaction problems
409: Find optimum makespans for certain open shop scheduling problems
428: Show that Boolean functions don't always have forcing representations of polynomial size
440: Construct efficient forcing representations for functions defined by context free languages
442-444: Study the UC and PC hierarchy of progressively harder sets of clauses
481: Construct a circuit for the sum of n bits that uses fewer than 4.5n gates
518: Reduce 3SAT to testing the permanent of a {-1,0,1,2} matrix for zero
>>
>>53707779
All of our papers are made available through various means; arxiv allows you to submit something that's under review (or not), but the crucial distinction is that you can submit something that's not vetted yet. There are examples of people submitting class papers and even of people submitting something that gets widely discredited and them trying to overwrite the discredited paper with a blank version (but those cases are rare).

Unless you have something more tangible (an example would be the easiest way to illustrate this because you wouldn't have to do any of the argumentation yourself - I would just accept two papers where the second one discredits the first), I don't see any point in continuing this. I feel like the goal posts are pretty reasonable, and I'm not moving them. So it's your call.

Right now it sounds like all the griping about Stanford is sour grapes or something. I get that - I went to a public poorly ranked university for my undergrad and we definitely had a chip on our shoulder, but we didn't take to bitching about it online like this (let alone directing it at any one place).
>>
>>53697732
He's too busy doing actual work
>>
>>53707787
The H index is determined by the number of papers cited that many times. A single paper widely cited as garbage wouldn't mean anything for a researcher's career. You would need to build an entire CV around that kind of infamy. And that doesn't seem to happen anywhere. People don't make careers of being trolls in academia.

It's also not clear when or where H index would actually help. At no point from graduate school through tenure review is the process for evaluating a researcher so automated that h index would matter. Everyone has a vague ability to see the impact that a researcher has made on his respective community, so gaming h index this way is just dangerous. It's like weaving violently across lanes at 1mph under the speed limit and expecting not to be pulled over
>>
>>53698071
This.
>>
>>53700363
Fuck off retard
>>
>>53705200
>I'd rather pay to host it
You'd rather pay money to do something you can easily do for free?
>>
>>53707840
>>53707855
>I don't know shit
>why don't i know this stuff
>>
>>53707073
I haven't been on /g/ long, but I have definitlely seen some jaw dropping posts that are the absolute bottom-tier opposite of a stanford phd.
Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.