[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would IT people even make money, if everything was open source
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4
File: 1430632511400.png (42 KB, 600x708) Image search: [Google]
1430632511400.png
42 KB, 600x708
How would IT people even make money, if everything was open source and free?

I never really understood that part of /g/s ideology.
>>
>>53694716
Not everyone has the competence to know and run IT.
>>
>>53694716
Donations.

And developers are still paid to create specific content and will always be paid.

Sys Admins are paid to reinstall OS and administrate servers... lots of shit.

You can always purchase support for your products in form of an subscription.
>>
File: 1.jpg (743 KB, 1500x1516) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
743 KB, 1500x1516
I think you're confusing free with gratis
>>
>>53694716
>I don't understand what hosting, SLAs and OLAs, maintenance, support, help desk, networking infrastructure, are
>>
>>53694716
by offering services
>>
>>53694716
Consumer support, security and customization of software for business needs.
>>
Private software provided sold as FOSS
>>
You sell the support. That's where the big money is anyways, even in the proprietary world.
>>
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it again the licence to use open source software (I forgot the licence name) in a commercial setting for free?
>>
Who would be making all that software for free and why?

I wouldn't do my job for free and I doubt anyone else would.
>>
>>53694784
Who the fuck cares about America rules? Just pirate everything, never care.
>>
>>53694786
What is volunteer work
>>
>>53694828
Volunteers are people who lend their time for a good cause. Making money for the company I work for doesn't sound like a good cause to me. Why would people do that?
>>
>>53694716
no one is allowed to make any money regardless of profession
>>
>>53694733
Without donations where would the money come from? Nowhere.
>>
I agree with your view op. I have built a windows application of which I sell about 10 copies a day, earning me a nice extra salary.

What is the point of making this open-source for me? Yes, i can keep selling it, but what stops someone from just putting it on their website, hosting my free (not gratis) open-source software on their site for free (gratis)...
>>
Cant you sell things under GPL though? Its just you have to provide source code right?
>>
>>53694784
>The freedom to run the program as you wish, for any purpose (freedom 0).
https://gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

There is no restriction, that's the point. You can be an authoritarian government and still run Linux on your drone fleet.
>>
With support. If the software is used in commercial ways you definitely need a support.
>>
>>53694906
But I would and many people will donate for what they like - sometimes I donate more than the value of the product.

Don't talk hypothetically, try to live in reality where things are different.
>>
It's all about support. Microsoft doesn't make their capital from consumer or oem sales of windows. It's enterprise support contracts.
>>
>>53694716
You know, instead of asking stupid questions on an Azerbaijani Synchronized Swimming IRC channel, you could just look at companies like MongoDB or Cloudera that base their business model around open source technology

Hint: it has something to do with software as a service and providing full-stack expertise
>>
>>53694930
You have to provide the source. And your customer has the right to redistribute the binary or the source.
>>
>>53694741
if the code is free why would anybody pay for it? They could compile it, gratis.
>>
File: just-give-up.jpg (50 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
just-give-up.jpg
50 KB, 800x800
>use a 100% free as in freedom operating system and software
>use 100% free as in freedom web browser on it
>facebook and google announce that in addition to apache/linux/etc. they will both run 100% free as in freedom software
>nasa announces that it too will run only 100% free as in freedom software
>hardware companies announce that they will make all their firmware 100% free as in freedom
>simultaneously microsoft and every other software company and service provider voluntarily make all their software 100% free as in freedom
>u.n. passes law that all software and hardware must be 100% free as in freedom
>i'm still not free

freedom is a meme
>>
>>53694906
You could say something similar about everything.

>Without purchases where would the money come from? Nowhere.
>Without advertisements where would the money come from? Nowhere.

You aren't really making a point
>>
>>53694969
>Without reading your comment where would your point matter?
>>
>>53694959
Microsoft bundles windows with your pc and get's a slice of the profits.
>>
>>53694959
Normal people don't know what "compile" means, and even if someone tried to explain it to them, they would still rather pay than compile it themselves.

Then again, I don't know why someone else wouldn't compile it, and host it gratis on their website.
>>
>>53694959
Not necessarly. Often you only get access to the source after you purchased the product. Not everything does just lie around on github.
>>
>>53694756
Yeah, people would probably make the software intentionally shitty so that no one other than people who went through 3 years of training could use it, and so they have to pay for consultants, support, etc.

Not that that's already happening with commercial software *cough* SAP *cough*
>>
>>53694965
In America freedom is a brand, "buy freedom!" ;)
>>
>>53695030
yeah but once the source is "out" it's out, unless it's under some semi-restrictive license. What's the point of making something open source but not available? Might as well be proprietary.
>>
>>53695030
That's open, but not free.
>>
>>53695068
Customers get the chance to audit your source and add in-house customizations, after paying for it. Are you dumb?
>>
>>53695094
>pay for software
>still have modify it
I'd probably pick different software
>>
>>53695094
His point is that when it's "out", what stops one person from buying it and then distributing it "gratis" to the rest of the world, essentially replacing you as the distributor.
>>
>>53695109
It's obvious that you have no real life experience with commercial software development.
>>
>>53695133
appropriate licenses, duh

Still doesn't "stop" them, but you can tear them a new butthole if they do it.
>>
>>53695070
No, it's free. You have to make the source available to the person you distribute to. If you don't put your stuff behind a paywall you only have to give the source to the people who pay you, because you are not distributing it to anyone else.
>>
>>53694969
The way said it it seemed like money for developers was coming out of thin air.

>Donations.
>And developers are still paid to create specific content and will always be paid.

And donations something that companies want to rely on. There are tried and proven methods that they can use to make money that they can use to expand their product. Companies relying on donations is taken from an idealized world.
>>
>>53695166
>>53695133
Alternative scenario: you get hired to develop specific software for one single customer, which is pretty standard when working with publishers, or (in my case) hardware manufacturers. Part of the contract is usually that you provide the full source code, so that they don't necessarily need YOU to maintain it or add new features.
>>
By selling services as opposed to products.
>>
They won't. Fosstistics would just kill themselves after they realize their goal. They would have nothing else to live for.
>>
>>53695178
Your ramblings don't make any sense.
>>
>>53694956
Seriously, every time I visit /g/ it's like you memers are stuck in some 1995 timewarp where open source software is some radical anti-capitalist Marxist idea, as if Redhat isn't a multibillion dollar company or as if Google hasn't released hundreds of open sources projects.

I bet you chucklefucks think RMS is relevant in modern open source software, too.

It's 2016 faggots, try to keep up.
>>
>>53695094
>>53695145
Eh you're prob right. Reminds me of ColdFusion. Customers can add functionality through java as needed but the whole framework still functions. I had an interview with a place that uses it, they do minor additions, like an application-wide exploit filter for SQLi, XSS, etc
>>
>>53695241
He's explaining to you how the GPL works. The source code is only required to be distributed along with the binary, so if you sell 1 copy of a GPL program, you only have to provide the source to 1 person. If they choose to release it afterwards, that's their business.
>>
>>53695312
>Google
Advertising company running a proprietary search engine and proprietary data-mining algorithms for serving ads. What a great fucking example.
>>
>>53694716
Charge for your support time.
>>
>>53694716
>money

I want bourgeoisie scum to leave my board.
>>
>>53694744
this
isnt this IT?
>>
>>53695166
Then that isn't free.

Free software is software that allows the user to do whatever he wants with the source code.
If they are prevented in ANY WAY from doing those things with the source code (other than obviously trying to make the code less free) that's in violation of what makes software free.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.