[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linux Icon Themes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6
Why is this still considered the pinnacle of Linux icon design. It hasn't been updated or changed for years. It's missing application icons. Yet, it's still pretty much the best set available for Linux desktops.
>>
>>53694028
Thought it was Numix
>>
>>53694028
Well, make some better ones then. The main motivator for progress is money, something the free software community is lacking.
>>
They're nice icons. It's a shame if they're no longer being updated.
>>
Definitely one of the only icon theme I can stand. Fuck Numix
>>
>>53694042
I have the artistic ability of an orange.
>>
>>53694082
Oh, well get rich and pay someone with talent to do it.
>>
>>53694028
Breeze icon theme is literally the best out there. Retarded cucks shilling numix is quite funny
>>
>>53694082
Just like every Linux user ever, which explains the state of Linux UI and answers the original question.
>>
Oxygen is superiour.
>>
ACYL is better. Monochrome rules.
>>
>>53694028
>Yet, it's still pretty much the best set available for Linux desktops
No it's not, your taste is just shit
>>
>>53694028
> using icons
> not using TUI apps
>>
>>53694028

Are you retarded? There are more icon themes for Linux than for any other OS
>>
The best icon theme is the defaults

The best theme used to be the defaults, but then GNOME made a tablet UI for the desktop and made OS X look like a space-conscious UI made for tiny CRTs, so now it's the defautls as long as you don't use gnome (or fuck around with CSS and reduce every bar by a good 70% in height)

Why? Because that shit is generic in style. It has no special snowflake "cool" flair to it. It's very plain, it's very neutral, it matches everything. It matches 90% of websites, it matches programs with simple UIs and bloated UIs, it matches white, it matches black, it looks okay everywhere unlike a riced desktop which only looks good when everything is riced.

Apple figured this out ages ago and is still focusing on neutral design to this day

why are linux users stuck in the past with windows vista ricers with fucking square/circle/flat monochrome/etc icons and making everything look like a terminal? Because they only visit 4chan and use exactly four programs (firefox, terminal, vim, ncmpcpp), that's fucking why.
>>
>>53696013
>The best icon theme is the defaults

Defaults of what?

>why are linux users...

What is this babble even supposed to mean?

"Linux users" (as long they don't use garbage like gnome) are just free to design there desktop like they like it.
>>
>>53695581
And they're all shit.
>>
>>53696182

It sounds like you believe yourself to have excellent taste in icons. You should design a new set of icons to your tastes if you believe there is a need for one.
>>
>>53696251
The perennial Stallmanism. If Linux wants to be a real OS then they should spend some time on design so it doesn't look like shit. OSX looks pretty good, Windows 10...well, it also looks shitty but Windows 7 looked pretty good.
>>
>>53696078
The defaults of XFCE, ubuntu, mate, KDE, your terminal, etc. The defaults. Gray gradients, black text, white backgrounds, folder-shaped folders.

It will look like an OS from the past, but shit will actually look slightly consistent instead of completely inconsistent.

>"Linux users" (as long they don't use garbage like gnome) are just free to design there desktop like they like it.
No, they're limited to theming it unless they write their own software. Themes and design are separate and have to match.

GNOME is, ironically, one of the few DEs that gives the user some design control beyond hiding the panel and changing the colors.
>>
>>53696268
The GNOME project should spend some time on icons and aesthetics. The default "Adwaita" or whatever is completely inconsistent. Faenza is good but abandoned so new applications have the default icon ruining the look. Some of the other sets are good but incomplete so you have 80% of your icons looking good and consistent and the other 20% looking like something from the 90s.
>>
>>53694222
Breeze, Moka (and in lesser degree Adwaita and Oxygen)
>>
>>53694028
I use Papirus on Unity, it's the best. Beats Numix easily
>>
I like moka squares tbqh
>>
File: square.png (45 KB, 435x432) Image search: [Google]
square.png
45 KB, 435x432
>>53694028
Manjaro's Menda Square pack is absolutely gorgeous, but for some reason they discontinued it in favour of a similar Circle theme which just doesn't feel right to me. They DO look quite similar if not identical to the Numix Square set though.

My second favourite is the Faenza set like in the OP.
>>
>>53698221
hasn't moka been abandoned as well? i was thinking...yep, mokaproject.com dead
>>
>>53698269
my bad maybe, https://snwh.org/moka/ still there; how the fuck do you let a domain expire? it's like $5 a year or something. he/they obviously don't care anymore
>>
>>53698269
>hasn't moka been abandoned as well? i was thinking...yep, mokaproject.com dead
What are you talking about? I just looked them up and downloaded them from my distro's community repository https://snwh.org/moka/icons . Also:
Build Date      : Sat 27 Feb 2016 10:27:21 PM EET

The last build / update was less than a month ago and these are not cutting edge repos.
>>
>>53694335
What do you expect? Open source devs to actually be creative? Open source devs to think of anyone else besides themself and power users? Open source devs to listen to anything that conflicts with their retarded "design philosophy?"
>>
>>53698317
already posted that i might have been wrong but seriously, why would they let mokaproject.com expire?
>>
>>53698317
That's your distros build date, the Moka githum says: Official Moka Icon Theme source repository
Updated on Nov 23, 2015 which still isn't terribly old
>>
If it ain't broken don't fix it
>>
>>53694042
There are ways to make money out of free software
red hat alone is worth billions
>>
>>53694028

because it is extremely consistent. there where better looking icons at the time in other "packs" but none so wide as faenza

atm breeze seems to thread the same lines.
>>
>>53696306
>The default "Adwaita" or whatever is completely inconsistent.

Which icons are inconsistent?
>>
>>53696182
i agree but i havent seen good ones for other operating systems either
>>
>>53698117
Breeze is ok
Although I use manjaro own Maia theme which is also good
Moka is good too
OP is a fag, there are lots of themes to choose from both gtk and qt
>>
>>53698593
but it is broken and no one is fixing it
>>
>>53698705
lots of shitty themes, it's like shopping for a bike at wal-mart; lots of bikes and all of them shitty
>>
File: icons.png (710 KB, 1280x925) Image search: [Google]
icons.png
710 KB, 1280x925
>>53694222

Breeze feels too high-contrast and thin.

>>53698678

Faenza covers almost everything. I'm really grateful for whoever made it, despite being abandoned nowadays.

I like some parts of Adwaita/GNOME/Tango, like the direcories, because they're really simple and in a "bland" color like Faenza's. However the rest looks really awful and date, like the taskbar icons (volume, wlan, battery).
>>
>>53698951
exactly, the windows icons look infinitely better than the others; why can't Linux design icons?
>>
>>53698705

>there are lots of themes to choose from
Yes, but they're all incomplete or just straight up remixes from the few worthwhile themes. Or just this >>53698929.

This is a list of "complete" icons that I know of:
>faenza
>elementary xfce
>adwaita (tango?)
>cheser
>numix (but I hate this one)
>moka (somewhat)
>>
>>53698997

Because Linux is a kernel and not a person creating icons or automated icon creation software.
>>
>>53699024
>automated icon creation software
now there's a brilliant fuckin' idea; where's my turbo pascal compiler?
>>
>>53698951

>However the rest looks really awful and date, like the taskbar icons (volume, wlan, battery).

What's wrong with them?
>>
>>53694028
You're free to create your own or further develop other icon themes and release it to the community

Now I rememebered humanity and awoken are also not bad (last one is incomplete though
>>
File: 2016-03-26-19:33:42.png (13 KB, 144x225) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-26-19:33:42.png
13 KB, 144x225
>>53699060

Is that Adwaita? Mine look like this. It's Adwaita 3.18.
>>
>>53699060
>GNOME
>>
>>53699287

Yes. gnome-shell must be picking up different icons. This is basically how it's looked for 5 years.

I haven't seen those ones since the 2.x days.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.