[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the source code contained in any part of a software you have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
Is the source code contained in any part of a software you have installed on your computer?

For example, If i have a game installed, is the source code for that game on my computer as well? How does the code for the game get run on my computer? Is it in some file that are in the program folder?
>>
>>53687553
Am I supposed to laugh? Report?
>>
File: 1455471661389.jpg (59 KB, 465x450) Image search: [Google]
1455471661389.jpg
59 KB, 465x450
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compiler
>>
/sqt/
>>
>>53687827
this was my face when someone was trying to explain why the loved fart fetish stuff without having a fart fetish
>>
>>53687553
Depends on the language. For something compiled like Java or C++, typically not as the binaries are all you need. For something interpreted like python, ruby, Lua, source is distributed. Though it may be packaged with the interpreter in a single executable, it is there somewhere.
>>
>>53687891
I know what a compiler is. What I want to know is if the source code for a program contained in the file of the program.
>>
>>53688382

No. If that were true, there would be no commercial software market.
>>
>>53688382
Only binaries are somewhere in your computer. Except for interpreted shit like >>53688357 said
>>
>>53688382

If you knew what a compiler did, you wouldn't have to ask this question.

The source is there, but not in its original form. A compiler takes the source code and translates it into instructions for the CPU and builds an executable. You could theoretically reverse engineer the compiled program to get the source code back, but this is highly impractical.

Some software developers make the source available for you to compile it yourself, but generally this is only for open source software. The only way you're getting the source for proprietary software is either getting into their codebase, or reverse engineering tiny snippets of the program.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.