[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39
File: 1448316966286.png (239 KB, 3000x3062) Image search: [Google]
1448316966286.png
239 KB, 3000x3062
Previously on: >>53677230

Welcome to /flt/, we are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will literally work on various distros, including Debian)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
>>
> Pasta:
https://ghostbin.com/paste/ps6jk
>>
>>53686408
Idiot question, when compiling from source, how will I be updating it afterwards? Let's say if I ran Arch and git cloned something from AUR, how do I include it in the yaourt -Syu command?
>>
>>53686312
66 packets transmitted, 66 received, 0% packet loss, time 65089ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 6.191/6.291/6.705/0.123 ms

>>53686352

Windows 10 had internet out of the box and past installations of mint and xubuntu did, too. I'm using pfSense for a router, if that has any bearing on anything.
>>
>>53686503
You update via git.
>>
>>53686533
Nice, that should work, but I'd like to unite the updating of source compiled software under a single command. How exactly does yaourt keep track of its installed programs anyway?
>>
I just installed linux mint on a desktop that also has Windows 10 on it. I have it connected to the internet by ethernet cable and I can ping google, but for some reason I can't load web pages or connect to the repositories. Any ideas why this would be?
>>
My wifi will drop randomly and I don't know what's causing it. When I re-boot it fixes itself. I'm on Debian, anyone know what could be doing this or what I should look into to fix it?
>>
>>53686900
Find your proper driver
>>
File: UYoUK2U.jpg (825 KB, 3856x2176) Image search: [Google]
UYoUK2U.jpg
825 KB, 3856x2176
Help
Making my own tiny Linux image with busybox... and this happens
/sbin/init is there but its linked to busybox

I checked my /etc/fstab and grub entries
>>
Hey guys. LXDE has a program called Brightness I'm trying to get for a different distro. I looked on the package manager but I couldn't find it. Under its properties, the command says "Brightness-level." I copied the program to my main os but I get an error saying Invalid desktop entry file.

What can I do to get it to work
>>
>>53686966
The thing is, during installation the installer already prompted me that it needed a non-free driver that was not in the repos to detect my wifi. I downloaded it from the debian site and inserted it like it asked me to.
>>
Do I need to fuck around with ncmpcpp's config to get better results when fetching lyrics?
>>
>>53687031
uni assignment?
>>
>>53687214
nah experimenting with making a very tiny linux image with no initramfs
>>
>>53687233
what are you using to roll it? woof builder is good for creating small footprint images
>>
>>53687256
I'm manually creating it by hand, setting up busybox symlinks, kernel, etc.

I compiled everything from Arch x86_64 and copied the basic libs from there
>>
>>53687285
damn, you're hardcore, but if you're gonna do it that way why wouldn't you do lfs?
>>
I'm trying to use a service file to get systemd to change the APM level of my hard drive back to 254 after waking up, since it automatically changes to 128 for some reason. I copied it from the arch wiki since the problem seems to be well-known:
[Unit]
Description=Local system resume actions
After=sleep.target

[Service]
Type=simple
ExecStart=/sbin/hdparm -B 254 /dev/sda

[Install]
WantedBy=sleep.target

The only thing I changed was the path of hdparm, which is in /sbin on my Debian jessie system, not in /usr/bin. Can anyone tell why this doesn't work. The service file is in /etc/systemd/system/ and is enabled.
>>
Can I for example, use an SD card to install, for example Mint? Is it possible to make it bootable? Just because I lost my usb drive and i am to lazy to get out at 2 am to buy one just to install linux
>>
Since I'm retarded, could somebody explain what yaourt is for me? I don't understand why you'd instead of just Plain pacman functions.
>>
I have a problem with Ubuntu, I always install it fine and then when I try to login, the login is sucesfull, it all goes black and then back to the login screen, what could this be?
My laptop has a Nvidia graphic card, btw
>>
>>53686503
You can update it manually by compiling and installing again. This, of course, defeats the purpose of having a package manager in the first place and is almost always discouraged.

https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian

Generally never build something that is going to depend on or is a dependency of other auto-updating packages, and always try to install what you want using a package manager. AUR has yaourt or whatever it's called now.
>>
>>53687305
lfs is 700mb of shit
plus how else would you "set up" linux in 1993
>>
>>53687419
>I don't know how to spoken.

Going to try that again.

Since I'm retarded, could somebody explain what Yaourt is for me? I don't understand why you'd use it instead of just plain Pacman functions.
>>
What filemanager will let me copy image url links into them directly to post on 4chan like windows lets you do?
>>
File: that's pretty good.png (8 KB, 368x422) Image search: [Google]
that's pretty good.png
8 KB, 368x422
>>53686408
Wow, tethering to my phone for wifi during an arch install actually worked perfectly. I am genuinely surprised.
>>
>>53687445
Keeps track of the shit you install from AUR and handles the process for you. You always want something keeping track of what you install, or you're going to have a pain in the ass removing the programs or updating them later. Yaourt does this.

The alternative is doing all this shit https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_User_Repository#Installing_packages and it is not recommended
>>
>>53687494
I don't completely understand the AUR.
So, basically, with Pacman I just get the official repos, but with yaourt, I get access to the community-driven repository, AKA the AUR, where I can build packages with yaourt?
>>
>>53687039
anyone?
>>
>>53687394
please?
>>
>>53687039
How about Xbacklight? It's a CLI application.
>>
>>53687531
Yes, pacman is a package manager for the official repos, yaourt is the same but for the user managed repos (AUR). You just do `yaourt -S packagename` and it's installed for you.

The mechanism differs a bit since pacman pulls precompiled binaries that you can run. Yaourt will download the source and compile it on your machine according to a recipe of sorts.
>>
>>53687581
Oh, alright. That really cleared things up, thank you.
>>
>>53687574
I need a graphical front end.
>>
>>53687616
Not to be rude, but why would you need a graphical front-end if all you're doing is changing the brightness? Just wondering.
>>
>>53687595
No problem. I don't recommend blindly pulling from AUR or viewing it as an extension of the official repos. Sticking to official repos ensure minimal breakage, AUR ensures nothing.
>>
How do you redirect folders from an HDD to the /home partition on an SSD?

As in, the folders "Documents", "Pictures", "Videos", etc in /home are only dummy folders that when clicked redirect to the actual folder in the HDD which contains the actual files

Also for the HDD itself where the data will be stored, I should format it as ext4 right?

Thank you for your time
>>
>>53687429
Yeah, that's why I'm asking whether there's a way to convert a compiled package into an auto-updating one (of course assuming it's in the AUR; long story short it only appeared recently)
>>
>>53687722
Yes, as I said, yaourt is a package manager for AUR. It handles the build process. Sometimes you really have to build stuff on your own though. I'm on a homebuilt kernel at the moment because sketchy hardware.
>>
>>53687690
With the AUR, I'm also taking the risk of installing a malicious package, intended to harm my computer in some way, right? Sort of like a PPA.
>>
>>53687765
However, clearly Yaourt has to track what packages it built somehow - where is it stored?
>>
>>53687777
Unless you review the AUR package, yes it could technically contain something malicious. I have never heard of it happening.
>>
>>53687647
I have a dark color scheme and using cli would be very difficulty with the amount of darkness I am attempting to achieve in the os. The application seems to use a different method to darken the screen compared to pressing the built in key combo the machine uses to affect the backlight. The application seems to just darken the picture compared to lowering the actual backlight.
>>
Using the ibus japanese input on linux mint, is there any other way to fix the inability to rename files on nemo other than killing the ibus daemon to rename files then rerun it?
>inb4 install another distro/renaming via terminal
>>
>>53687783
I have no idea where yaourt specifically stores it's files. Somewhere on your disk, you can find out if you are interested. I'm not!
>>
>>53687439
I like your style.
>>
Do you guys know any distro that works well with macbook pro?

I've been using Ubuntu, it has all the drivers, it works but unity freezes too much :(
>>
Can anyone help me with arch linux install

chroot: failed to run command ‘/bin/bash’: No such file or directory

what went wrong
>>
>>53687710
ln -s /path/to/original/directory /path/of/linked/directory
>>
>>53688035
Fedora works well with new hardware generally since it's updated all the time. Depending on what MBP, any distro might work. Any modern DE like Unity, Cinnamon, Gnome will work with your hardware keys for brightness etc out of the box.

I dislike Fedora personally so I would try a flavour of Ubuntu or Debian first.
>>
>>53688043
Either you didn't pacstrap the system properly or failed at mounting the root directory
>>
>>53688084
Probably pacstrap. Try it again, if all fails, redo every step, it's pretty quick.
>>
When I run lxappearance the fonts tab has hinting set to Full, I change it to Slight but when I open lxappearance again it is back to Full. I can't figure out where it is getting that setting from.
>>
>>53686408
How do I configure GCC to compile the kernel? I'm on Fedora 23.
>>
>>53688202
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Building_a_custom_kernel
>>
>>53688138
>I can't figure out where it is getting that setting from.
xrdb
>>
I want to install archbang, but i get this message No devices mounted too /mnt....
Mount partitions too /mnt and restart abinstall

please help.
>>
>>53688250
>Arch
>Issues
>noshit?.png
>>
>>53688250
>ArchBang
Found your problem.
>>
>>53688242
xrdb --query doesn't list anything about hinting though.
>>
>>53688250
Run
mount /dev/sdXY /mnt
, where X is the drive you want and Y is the partition you want to install it on. Then try abinstall again.
>>
Hey I'm completely new to Linux, and I'm trying to dual boot fedora on my pc before trying it on my laptop. I created a live boot cd, but whenever i try to boot from it (or anything that isn't my windows systemdisk) i get windows boot manager, and it says that the boot media isn't found and i need to reset. I think i need to change something in the bios so i can get to grub, but what do i need to do?
>>
Can I dd a 16gb partition onto an 8gb usb drive, if I only have >8gb of contents on the drive?
>>
>>53688359
Legacy BIOS, as opposed to UEFI maybe?
>>
>>53688362
No, dd copies the whole thing so it will fail.
>>
File: 1389289146325.jpg (409 KB, 1422x976) Image search: [Google]
1389289146325.jpg
409 KB, 1422x976
How do I go about safely resizing my / and /home partitions?

For example, if I want to chop off some free space from /home and give it to / , or viceversa.
>>
>>53688378
I changed this to legacy/ufei (only option) and got the same thing.
>>
>>53688359
change the boot order of HDDs in the bios so that the one with grub on it gets tried first
>>
>>53687031
hmm, is busybox executable on that kernel? is the symlink valid?
>>
Should I expect problems when installing Linux (Debian) on a system with Intel Skylake / HD Graphics 530?
>>
>>53688661
I did that, and somehow it still used windows bootloader. The windows bootloader is on a disk, right? So if i disconnected the disk i wouldnt get windows bootloader?
>>
I put babbys first ubuntu on a usb hard drive, but whenever i try to boot from it, my laptop goes to a black screen, then goes back to the boot selection menu. I know that my ubuntu disk was set up correctly, because the contents of the disk are the same as the ones they show in the easy instructions. What do i need to do to get my laptop to boot from this usb hdd?
>>
>>53688624
Well, as with any partition operation the only way to do it "safely" is to back up your shit first. But if you just boot into GParted Live and resize the partitions there, it's very unlikely that anything will go wrong unless you make a stupid fuckup.
>>
>>53688362
Try resizing the partition in GParted first
>>
I use Arch but just wondering if BSD stuff is ever discussed here. I haven't used any BSDs besides Mac OS but they kind of interest me.
>>
So I upgraded to Debian Testing on a FRESH install, I already checked, got zero updates left so I'm current.

However I cannot access any sort of system settings menu. "Settings" doesn't appear in the Applications menu like it used to, clicking on the power button up top and then on settings doesn't do anything, and right clicking on the desktop and selecting settings doesn't do anything.

What gives? Am I missing something?

Please advice, getting really frustrated
>>
>>53688923
Nevermind, I just saw how. Installed synaptic (because Testing deleted it for some reason), then installed systemsettings. Because I didn't even realize there existed the possibility it was a package that had to be installed once you moved to testing. Answered my own question
>>
I need help with login managers. They all don't work. I've tried LXDM, MDM, and Entrance, and they all have the same problem: When I enter my credentials, the screen will flash or flicker and then go right back to the login screen.

The only one that works is fucking SDDM, which came pre-installed, and I hate that fucking pile of shit.

I'm running Manjaro Linux with Enlightenment WM.
>>
Is Iceweasel behind firefox versions or did I fall for the old package debian meme
>>
>>53688983
Debian stable? Yes, behind
Debian testing? Yes, but not so much
Debian unstable? Yes, but almost nothing

It's not a meme, you knew what you were getting yourself into with a stable OS
>>
>>53688851
Usually when I get that problem, it's the boot mode. Go into the BIOS, there will be an option to boot USB devices in "legacy" or "UEFI" mode. Try both.

If that fails, you fucked up somehow burning the ISO to the drive. Download a fresh copy and burn it again, carefully.
>>
>>53689006
I tried "legacy only" and "ufei only", both failed. I also tried a usb disk drive, but wherever i would select it to boot the screen would flash for a split second, then bring me back to the boot selection menu. Do you know what could be causing this?
>>
>>53688819
one would think so ... maybe if it is a uefi bois it doesn't like how the linux disk is setup (gpt, ...?) and is skipping over it
>>
>>53688975
>Manjaro
Found your problem.
>>
>>53688983
Assuming you're using Stable, you could just use Debian backports if it matters that much to you.
>>
>>53689000
What version do you have? I'm using sid and I'm on version 38.7.1
>>
Why are you guys against programmers getting proper recognition for their work?
>>
>>53689067
Hurrrrrrrr.
>>
>>53689040
No, I don't know what "could" be causing it. The trouble with troubleshooting things like that is that there are so many places for that process to go wrong. It's quicker to do it all over than to try to puzzle it out.

If the screen flashes, that definitely makes me think it's likely that there's a problem with the boot media or the ISO. Re-download the ISO and burn it. Read some tutorials and follow them exactly. Just looking at the contents of the disk won't necessarily tell you if there's something corrupted or wrong. Sorry man but there's no easier answer.

(and if you're tired of doing the huge download, maybe try a distro that isn't a bloated shitpile)
>>
>>53687486
as it should, android (at least) does tethering by masquerading itself as a usb-standard ethernet device, should work anywhere a cheap-ass usb>ethernet adapter would work
>>
>>53689055
What do you have against Manjaro?
>>
>>53689067
I hate computers
>>
Does software I install with aptitude get detected by Synaptic and viceversa?

Or is it a big no no to use both aptitude and Synaptic together?
>>
>>53687783
when building a package, it stores temporary data (pkgbuild, downloaded sources from the pkgbuild, a folder in which to assemble the package, and the actual arch package it builds) in /tmp/yaourt-tmp-$USER/aur-$pkgname

the built packages aren't cached in /var/cache/pacman/pkg like non-aur packages, but you can place them there and they will work

as for how it keep track of what's installed, they are tracked the same as any other package, yaourt isn't a package manager, it just provides a pacman-like interface to the aur, making the aur accessible as if it was just another repo
>>
>>53688624
like this (for example, using gparted);
|[1######## ][2###########      ]|
reduce size of 2
|[1######## ][2########### ] |
shift 2 to the right
|[1######## ] [2########### ]|
expand 1
|[1######## ][2########### ]|

as always, backup first, these are not interruptible operations
>>
fedora or debian lads
>>
>>53689127
they're both dpkg/apt frontends, there's no harm in using both interchangably
>>
>>53688909
Sometimes a BSD general pops up but it's mostly shitposting. I'd say there are only a few people on /g/ that are seriously knowledgeable about BSD, which is unfortunate. Been meaning to try ArchBSD one of these days.
>>
>>53689290
Not the guy you're responding to. But would you tell me what's so great about apt front-ends? I've been using apt for a good while and I've been happy just using that.
>>
Guys, what software that is available on Debian repos can you recommend to sync with an iPhone? Basic stuff like music and photos.

Or is it more feasible to try and run iTunes under Wine? I have a feeling that would be a major pain in the ass...
>>
>>53689368
some people just prefer guis
when i was new to linux i tended to use aptitude, as i could easily browse through all the packages in the package lists (i was on dialup at the time, so it wasn't as convenient to use lists on a website) to see what might interest me
>>
Will removing/replacing thunar with a different filemanager fuck up some xfce services?
>>
>>53686408
>Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux
I did this and don't regret it.
>>
>>53686408
Why start the thread with a picture of Unix Yak?
>>
>>53689284
debian
>>
>>53689501
You mean the BSD Bull?
>>
When will I know if I am a Linux Guru?
>>
I'm trying to get static IP's on my server's NIC's
I set the the static leases in pfsense properly, but I can't get the server to use the static IP's I set it
It's a DL380 G5 running ubuntu 14.04, how do I force it to renew the DHCP leases?
>>
>>53689501
You mean Systemd stud?
>>
I upgraded to Debian Testing

Where did my bottom notification bar go?

The one you could move your mouse down to the bottom of the screen to toggle.
>>
>>53689067
pride is a sin son
>>
Why is there 2 threads?
>>
>>53689649
too much friendliness for just one thread
>>
>>53689613
find where the dhcp client caches it leases and delete the file?
>>
>>53689501
That's obviously Ubuntu's wanking walrus, newfag.
>>
>>53689649
The bait thread is still going?
>>
File: 1432230257110.png (242 KB, 3000x2933) Image search: [Google]
1432230257110.png
242 KB, 3000x2933
>>53686408
>>
What funny/useful bash scripts/aliases do you have?

I haven't really been using linux long enough to come up with anything useful, and the only funny thing I have right now is I set up 'please' as an alias for sudo
>>
>>53689718
every time someone posts on it, it gets higher than this one in the bump order and every newfag flocks to it.
>>
>>53689856
I think just ll for ls -alhF
>>
>>53689871
alias sai='sudo aptitude install'
alias sar='sudo aptitude remove'
alias sau='sudo aptitude update'
alias up='cd ..'
alias md='ipython notebook'

Couldn't live without sai, sau, and sar now.

Before I used aptitude, I went with agi, agu, agr for apt-get. Same concept
>>
File: 1449790684402.gif (364 KB, 250x222) Image search: [Google]
1449790684402.gif
364 KB, 250x222
>>53689856
alias ,='pushd "$PWD"'
alias ,,='popd'alias ..='cd ..'
alias -- -='cd ~'
alias dl='curl -#O'
alias eq='alsamixer -D equal'
alias rst='reset; source ~/.bashrc'
alias speedtest='curl http://download.thinkbroadband.com/1GB.zip > /dev/null'
alias sudo='sudo ' # http://askubuntu.com/questions/22037/aliases-not-available-when-using-sudo
>>
I have an old Toshiba NB255 netbook (Atom N455, 1GB RAM) laying around doing nothing. I'd like to install a lightweight Linux distro for general use. I write occasionally, so note-taking or writing on the go would be nice. I like how fast Puppy Linux is but I am not a fan of the interface, and Linux Mint and Fedora do not run well on the relatively old machine. I'm currently considering Lubuntu, but would like some more suggestions. However, I'd like to stay away from Redhat-based distros or BSDs and stick to "traditional" if that makes sense. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>53689898
was meant for >>53689856
>>
>>53689930
>alias -- -='cd ~'
Could be even shorter. cd defaults already to home.
alias -- -='cd'
>>
File: 1435493052386.jpg (48 KB, 400x404) Image search: [Google]
1435493052386.jpg
48 KB, 400x404
>>53689940
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
File: 1454549818051.png (78 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1454549818051.png
78 KB, 600x600
>>53689940
Debian.
>>
>>53689978
Saved.
>>
alias doot='espeak "Thank mr skeltal"'
>>
>>53687906
we're laughing btw
>>
I've just installed linux mint on a desktop pc that I am also dual-booting Windows 10 on. I am able to ping google but no webpages will load nor can I access the repositories. I just checked and web pages will load in Win 10. I don't have the firewall turned on and I have a static IP set up. I was able to get the pages to load after rebooting a few times, but after rebooting again once more the pages won't load. I have no idea what the cause of this problem could be; any ideas?
>>
>>53690290
Post the results of ping (or ping6 for IPv6) and check where you're landing with traceroute/traceroute6.

If no IPv6 (I don't know if MTR supports IPv6), cut a step out and use the command
mtr google.com
>>
>>53690290
>>53690320
Just checked, MTR does have a switch for IPv6 support.

>>
>>53689856
on this topic, right now I have

alias ..='cd ..'
alias ...='cd ../..'
alias ....='cd ../../..'
alias .....='cd ../../../..'

in my rc. is it possible to change that to something that accepts a variable number of periods and sends me up that far?
>>
>>53690320
actually, I can only ping google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 DNS but not google.com
>>
>>53690432
In bash you can define a command_not_found_handle() function and have that look at $0 and go from there
>>
Trying to get icecat running.
icecat: /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.17' not found (required by icecat)
ls /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6

Help!
>>
>>53690453
try
run
cat /etc/resolv.conf 

if empty or has a comment for network manager, add
 nameserver <ip of router>
>>
>>53688624
you can do this easily with LVM volumes

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LVM
>>
>>53690515
# Generated by resolvconf
domain Dlink
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4
>>
>>53690807
Huh?
Aren't those Google's?
>>
>>53690515
>nameserver <ip of router>
I added this to resolv.conf but it doesn't seem to have had any effect on my lack of connectabliltiy.
>>
>>53690819
I manually switched to google's dns, thought it would help.
>>
>>53690859
Yeah, so I'm going to say that's why everything's fucked, assuming this started when you changed the IP
>>
>>53689856
alias brb='systemctl reboot'
alias bye='systemctl poweroff'
>>
>>53690873
Also added this to dhcpcd.conf to prevent rewriting of resolv.conf:
nohook resolv.conf
>>
>>53690847
as in "nameserver 192.168.0.1" not litterally '<ip of router>'
>>
>>53690892
Why couldn't you use your ISP's DNS server?
>>
>>53690900
yeah, I know. I put 192.168.1.1
>>
>>53690900
Turned off ipv6 in grub.cfg. works fine now.
>>
>>53690807
This isn't me
I responded to >>53690515here>>53690847 (You)
>>
>>53690900
I changed the nameserver to 8.8.8.8 and it works now...but will it work reliably? Is there anything else I should set to ensure it will?
>>
I'm gonna be installing Gentoo alongside Arch, which DE would be the most lightweight?
>>
I'm trying to get Linux on my Chromebook with crouton but apparently I'm completely retarded because no matter what I do I can't get ~ into the shell the keyboard on these bastard's is confusing as hell please help my dumbass.
>>
File: 1428644704423.jpg (730 KB, 1024x1022) Image search: [Google]
1428644704423.jpg
730 KB, 1024x1022
>>
>>53691360
Ctrl + Alt + T.
You know, people sell old notebooks for ~$200.
>>
File: 1452943414135.jpg (443 KB, 1020x1024) Image search: [Google]
1452943414135.jpg
443 KB, 1020x1024
>>
>>53691360
>>53691480
My bad, I meant Thinkpads.
>>
>>53691477
>>53691495
who is this semen demon
>>
>>53691480
No I can't get the special character kek I'm in the shell it's just the keyboard is stranger than fiction.
>>
>>53691691
Oh, okay. So you can't find the tilde on the Chromebook keyboard?
>>
File: 1439731593072.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1439731593072.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
Have a pape.
>>
sometimes kde plasma completely freezes and all I can move is the mouse

Has anybody else had this problem?
>>
>>53691891
KDE Plasma is known to be very buggy.
>>
MG279 Asus monitor (identified properly, 1440p and 144hz).

980Ti GPU (uses experimental drivers from nVidia)

When I shut down my monitor from power buttan, and open it again I get 'no mini DP signal' and I see nothing (but the power light and sometimes HDD light do flash)

Has anyone gotten any ideas what mite be wrong?
>>
>>53691901
but it's so pretty

is there any way to fix the freezing? That's my only problem.

google doesn't bring up much that's related and no solutions as far as I can see
>>
>>53691764
I can find it just not use it tried everything from the normal key combo to changing the input methods and keyboard layout sorry for slow response working atm
>>
>>53692148
Finally just copied and pasted figure out the keyboard layouts later.
>>
>>53686408
Test
>>
>>53691932
>is there any way to fix the freezing?
Change distro
>>
>>53692292
Seriously. Leave this thread. Go trolling elsewhere.
>>
>>53692320
What is your problem? It's a well known fact that some distros work better with some DEs due to them being more focused on them and having more developers working on said DEs.
>>
>>53692392
>firefox is freezing
>change internet provider
t. you
>>
>>53692416
Did you even read my post? Are you elaborately rusing me?
>>
>>53692281
Bestanden.
>>
>>53692648
What files?
>>
File: Hillbilly_Switchblade.jpg (30 KB, 640x426) Image search: [Google]
Hillbilly_Switchblade.jpg
30 KB, 640x426
>>53686900
Try changing dumbening numbers in the ip adress to avoid conflict
>>
>sudo echo repair > /sys/block/md127/sync_Action
>permission denied

Can read/write to the raid without problems but can't scrub?
>>
>>53687486
I remember you, you were the one that couldn't get network working during install because you're on campus right.

Very nice.
>>
File: 1457565548899.png (2 MB, 1280x799) Image search: [Google]
1457565548899.png
2 MB, 1280x799
>>53692974
Redirection is something the shell does; it's not command related. You have two options:

a) using a shell:

sudo sh -c "echo 'repair' >> /sys/block/md127/sync_Action"

b) hacking with tee:

echo 'repair' | sudo tee --append /sys/block/md127/sync_Action

Happy hacking.
>>
>>53692974
To make what the other Anon said overly clear, «echo repair» gets run with sudo, whilst the part that actually tries to direct the output, «> /sys/block/md127/sync_Action», does not.
>>
>>53693134
>>53693065
I really appreciate it when this thread is educational like with these posts
>>
>>53693550
You mean when it's not GNU/Linux copypasta?
>>
>>53693643
This and things like which distro should I choose
>>
How's everyone doing?
>>
File: N5yHi3i.jpg (77 KB, 606x960) Image search: [Google]
N5yHi3i.jpg
77 KB, 606x960
If a program auto-start where do I find it and disable it?
Basically where I work there is this
http://www.saadatco.com/products/157/968/
It's bundled with ubuntu 8.04, due to old distro and new software the system doesn't work as intended.
I need to update to ubuntu 14.04 in order for the monitoring system work as intended.
Don't even know the username and root password.
Any ideas?
>>
>>53694165
Ask your system administrator
>>
File: 1457890580039.png (705 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
1457890580039.png
705 KB, 400x600
>>53694110
Playing with ImageMagick.
Just discoverd -encipher and -decipher.
>>
>>53694165
systemctl
>>
>>53694208
>system administrator
you thing there is system administrator where I work?
The whole system is a scam and was bought in corrupt deal.
The controls only work from the monitors itselves, the site doesn't list their propriety software to control the monitors.
So you'd have to buy the PC.
>>
Good linux for beginners? I am mostly interested in PIM softwares.

I am currently using Kontact on Ubuntu, but Akregator keeps closing it on me. And KDE Wallet keeps harassing me for my passords.
>>
>>53694249
Is that a flower? I can see an outline.
ImageMagik seems really fucking versatile.
>>
>>53694249
Not the same file size when deciphered.
What's the passphrase?
And can it be cracked?
>>
>>53694331
Password is "faggot".
>>
>>53694331
More info:
http://www.imagemagick.org/script/cipher.php
http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/transform/#encipher
>>
>>53694280
You're not trying to tell me your company doesn't have and sort of system administration (internal or external) and everyone just does what he wants with the company systems?
If so, get out of that shithole as soon as you can.
>>
>>53694370
What's the pass pharse?
I think 4chan modify PNG.
>>
>>53694406
Just tried it, works on my machine.
echo "faggot" | convert pic.png -transpose -decipher - out.png
>>
>>53694425
noice
>>
>>53694375
>doesn't have and sort of system administration
Not it doesn't have, he doesn't work, literally.
He's a 45 yo,that doesn't know shit about anything.
And customer service number in not existent.
I'll try booting parted magic or kali from USB and see if I can crack the user and password, and see what's there program is all about.
Maybe I can copy it, or something, will UEFI cause issue if I want to boot of USB?
>>
File: Ichi v04c03p129 copy.jpg (225 KB, 769x1100) Image search: [Google]
Ichi v04c03p129 copy.jpg
225 KB, 769x1100
>>53694425
>
transpose

No wonder
>>
I'm a use with 0 experience with GNU/linux and I want to use a OS that's not a bootnet and is privacy friendly without forcing me to use the tor network, and also that doen't force me to use comands for everything.
What distribution should I use? And will I be able to use software like microsoft office/ photoshop/ some games, or I'll be forced to use free alternatives?
>>
Hello /flt/, I have an ASUS EEEPC 1201T on wich i want to install a distro. I've seen on the archlinux wiki that it seems totally compatible.
First time trying this, how i proceeed?

I guess i need to install OS first an the this modules listed on
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ASUS_Eee_PC_1201T

How I do it?
>>
>>53694493
>not a bootnet and is privacy friendly
>doen't force me to use comands for everything.
>software like microsoft office/ photoshop/ some games

Such OS is yet to be made.
You can throw your computer out of the window mate

Or just install Ubuntu.
>>
>>53694493
>a OS that's not a bootnet
Disable Wake on Lan
>>
For completeness:
echo "faggot" | convert input.png -encipher - -transpose -depth 8 png24:pic.png

Don't do this with lossy formats, oviously.
>>
File: tyrone-laughing-20-aeons.jpg (29 KB, 620x670) Image search: [Google]
tyrone-laughing-20-aeons.jpg
29 KB, 620x670
>>53694493
>not a botnet
>wants to use memesoft office and adobe memeshop anyways

whats the point then you fucking faggot?
>>
>>53694493
Try Remix OS.
>>
>>53694493
As long as you're running some sort of DE, you probably won't NEED to learn too many commands if you're just a casual user. Though, even then, you should really learn some.

There are option like Deepin and Elementary OS and the like.

You also cannot use Office, Photoshop or any Windows application without Wine. Even then, getting it to work with certain software can be tricky.
>>
>>53694493
libreoffice is pretty good desu
>>
>>53694548
>>53694493

LibreOffice is great. Plus you can export documents to .PDF, so sharing them shouldn't be a problem.
>>
>>53694574
You can save in a format microsoft office can open anyway.
>>
>>53694493
No GNU/Linux distro is denying anything.
No MS Office, but Libre Office (it's cooler anyway). Photoshop works in WINE, but theres also GIMP. A huge amount of games runs also in WINE, if you insist.
0 experience? Try Ubuntu since it spoonfeeds you everything, but keep an eye about nonfree software like Skype or Steam. It's available, but you shouldn't install it, since it's spying. A completely free disto as easy as Ubuntu is Trisquel.
>>
>>53694574
I think I should try libreoffice.
>>
>>53694493
This "bootnet" you're talking about, you're going to get on linux distros anyways. Because what really matters is that you're not going to be willing to stop using an internet connection altogether. You're paranoid and you don't know why, you just follow the masses.
>>
>>53694642
Nothing wrong with paranoia nowaways.
A good reason to switch to GNU/Linux.
Thanks NSA.
>>
>>53694581
You serious? I never really thought about it.
If I save it as "docx" instead of its original (I think) "odf", I can open it in Word?

>>53694524
10/10
>>
>>53694581
Last I checked (years ago, mind) formatting can kind of break between Microsoft and LibreOffice. Worth noting if it's for something important.

>>53694609
>but theres also GIMP
While I agree that for most people, GIMP will do just fine, it should be noted that not even the GIMP developers themselves consider GIMP to be a Photoshop alternative.
>>
>>53694661
um, I may be wrong but as far as I know libreoffice isn't capable of outputting any format that msword can't read
>>
>>53694681
It can read it but it doesn't have the be 100% the same you wanted to save.
Which can be unacceptable depending on the use-case.
>>
>>53694665
a) Do you even know who the GIMP developers are, newfriend?

b) Since GIMP is free software, it automatically makes it better than Photoshop for the simple reason of unlimited extending, and scripting.

c) Free software isn't an "alternative". You say "alternative" like the program that actually cripples your computing would be superior. It's the other way around: When GIMP isn't available, theres always the alternative of using Photoshop.
>>
>>53694714
>freetarding loudly
>>
>>53694609
I prefer Microsoft office for the multitude of tools that I actually use and basically quality automation of everything.
>>
>>53694714
a) No, but I've read their FAQ.

b) The latest Photoshop version I've used was CS2. I've no idea how Photoshop's plugin and scripting support (which I believe they have some form of?) compares to GIMP's.

c) I say alternative because I was quoting from memory.
>>
>>53694714
>>53694754
I like this new a b c thing. It's pleasing my CDO.
>>
>>53688035
Fedora works great with HiDPI Macbook pros. The one gotcha is that you'll need a USB network adapter (USB ethernet port, USB wifi dongle with Free drivers, tethered Android phone) during the install and install a bunch of stuff from RPMFusion that Red Hat, Inc. isn't legally allowed to put in Fedora's main repo.
>freetype-freeworld and fontconfig-freeworld for better rendering
>MS fonts if you care about that
>akmod-wl for your wireless driver

RPMFusion doesn't always update akmod-wl for new Fedora releases right away so it's best to wait a month or so before jumping from Fedora 23 to 24 when that releases.

Aside from the faggorty involved with proprietary wifi, I'm really happy with Fedora on my mid-2014 13" rMBP.
>>
>>53694714
>newfriend
oh boy, look at this faggot. 'newfag' is a 2013 term, if you want to call someone new use 'neo-newfag' or 'neo-newfriend'
>>
>>53694778
I didn't want to be THAT rude.
>>
>>53694771
I like this new "CDO" thing. It's pleasing my dyslexia.
>>
>>53694778
>newfag wants to change what we politely call newfags
kek
>>
>>53694661
When you first try and save as docx it'll ask you if you want it to be compatible.
>>
File: 1445894990875.png (52 KB, 1680x1496) Image search: [Google]
1445894990875.png
52 KB, 1680x1496
>installs GNU/Linux
>to run photoshop and ms office
>>
>>53694790
>Doesn't want to give someone the proper honorific.
Now that's just rude
>>
>>53694799
welcome to 4chan bud.
>>
>>53694814
>installs Windows
>runs GIMP and LibreOfice
>>
>>53694498
Anyone?
>>
>>53694825
Those have native Windows ports, not comparable
>>
>>53694814
>goes into the brothel
>fucks the door guy
>>
>>53694816
it's not bud, newfag, it's bruh, son, or m8
>>
>>53694841
>goes into brothel
>fucks the door
>>
>>53694838
No I was comparing the disparities in philosophy between the programs and the OS they're running on
>>
File: 1442816586916.gif (259 KB, 267x400) Image search: [Google]
1442816586916.gif
259 KB, 267x400
>>53694848
>goes into brothel
>fucks
>>
>>53694844
k bud.
>>
>>53694659
Sure, it's just even if you choose one of those distros in the gnu website the NSA won't have any problems with it.

If you're switching from Windows is because you want to avoid specifically Microsoft. Microsoft is not the NSA, it's just in bed with it like Apple, Google and some others.
>>
>>53694875
>goes into brothel
>does your mother
Guess who
>>
>>53694880
ok kid
>>
File: 1433499207340.png (41 KB, 505x250) Image search: [Google]
1433499207340.png
41 KB, 505x250
>>53694883
Linus Torvalds.
>>
>>53694863
Windows users don't choose their software based on philosophy.

If you care about free software, you might only be able to run free software.
If you don't care at all it doesn't prevent you from running free software though.
>>
>>53694799
>He thinks calling someone new-newfag is friendly
>>
File: 1456212176947.gif (106 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1456212176947.gif
106 KB, 625x626
>>53694912
>>
>>53694897
stay mad bud
>>
File: 1458848735299.jpg (160 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1458848735299.jpg
160 KB, 600x600
>>53694912
>>
>>53694714
How to draw square in GIMP?
>>
>>53694945
Just use the parametric equalizer.
>>
>>53694498
bump
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.