[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Android OpenGL ES 2
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: HelloGL20_24.png (30 KB, 533x320) Image search: [Google]
HelloGL20_24.png
30 KB, 533x320
Hey /g/, last week i started learning how to develop games for android using opengl es 2, but it was a pain in the ass, i mean, for drawing a fucking triangle you need to code a lot of stuff (http://pastebin.com/0JNbEWVR). So i wonder how much time woud take to develop a complete game, like for example, a 2D game with UI: some buttons on the screen, some images representing the enemies, effects, etc, like a turn-based rpg. So technically i have to load a lot of images, make some transitions or events for the screen when you walk and when the battle starts, etc.
>>
>coding the same shit that's been done a thousand times thinking you're clever
not gonna make a game tier.

Get unity or unreal if you're serious.
>but "real men" (I read this on /g/ so if I repeat it here it must be true) code in base opengl only!
Real men use free tools and make money off them. Unity doesn't even have royalties.
>>
>>53685019
Well i tried unity but i dropped it, i just wanted to put a draw of flames i made and when i imported it to my assets it turned blue...
>>
>>53685130
are you mentally handicapped
>>
>>53685130
>hmm auto changes color to blue
>Maybe I should figure out why.... nope fuck the whole program
>Better code it myself

I'd call troll but I sadly spent too much time in /agdg/
>>
>>53685176
No, i'm just making an analysis of what should i use to develop my project to devote to it and make something cool, i know some game engines have some complications but this made me a little upset, at the first try to do something it failed me, so i dropped it for now.
>>
>>53685304
I honestly cannot tell if you're serious, point for you there. Personally for me the only game dev I had ever done before was doom wads. Unity was by no means any sort of easy process for me, there were brick walls but I stayed at it for about 30 minutes for each one and googled the shit out of it. Hardest concept for me was parent and child object relationships namely that the size/transform transfers. Unity technically "does" have this written in their docs but it's vague and full of technicalities so even when I did read it 10 times straight through, it didn't help. You have to be more vigilant if you're trying to get this to work. Now that I understand all this and used prefabs I left the doom engine about as hard as physically possible in the dust as I could. There is NOTHING that gives me a bigger high than seeing a script work.
>>
File: 123123ddasdq.png (1 MB, 1402x772) Image search: [Google]
123123ddasdq.png
1 MB, 1402x772
>>53685371
Yeah, i'm serious, look this, i'ts a demo i made with construct 2, this game engine is simple as fuck but i can't create for example a 'template' to make different levels with the same gui, i don't know if in Unity i could do something like creating a Level class and put inside a Monster object so i just make the UI the first time to process all the battles.

Now i'm gonna try cryengine and unreal
>>
>>53685676
Therein lies the problem with all simple engines, you graduate from them within a week and then hit a brick wall because it isn't advanced enough to do anything. Had this conversation a million times with gamemaker and rpgmaker fags. You can do that in unity. I recommend trying unity again and downloading their test projects, exists exactly for this reason so you can poke into everything to see how you're supposed to do it.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.